Miken Velocit-E Slow Pitch Softball Bat: SPVELA

Goater

Addicted to Softballfans
Found this in the bat closet that I share with my son. Neither of us remember how and when it was acquired. I haven't had a chance to swing it.

I believe it dates to the early to mid 2000's.

Can anyone tell me something about it?

ShortYellowBus

Hi! Can you please post a picture? There’s a few newer models that had that SPVELA designation; there’s a 2.0 and 3.0 version of it.

I believe most of the earlier 2000’s velocit-e bats were all ultra Asa models.

Goater

Addicted to Softballfans
Hi! Can you please post a picture? There’s a few newer models that had that SPVELA designation; there’s a 2.0 and 3.0 version of it.

I believe most of the earlier 2000’s velocit-e bats were all ultra Asa models.
This is it and this is easier than posting a photo

Not trying to sell the bat, just looking for opinions

ShortYellowBus

That bat is from 2013 I believe. It’s a dual stamp that retailed for $199.99. It was the value option. Lots of vibration and harshness in the hands. DST durashell tech just meant the compression numbers on this model were very high and stayed high.

Here locally, people shaved these bats because they were easier to buy and dispose of.

It’s relatively worthless. Sorry to be the bad guy.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
OG Velocit E came out in 2000 or so. Very nice hitting bat. One of the first good composite bats ever made. Durable as well.

I had the Velocit E 2 and it sucked. Felt like crap and had no pop.

Goater

Addicted to Softballfans
Had a chance to swing it last Sunday ... not special ... would work for BP in cold weather

jhitman

That's the one from 2013. The OG Velocit-E was called the "crayon Velocit-E" from about 2001/2002. It was the first time I had ever hit a composite bat. After swinging the OG all of my metal bats were put in the basement. I would hit a few HR's per year with the metal bats. When I hit the Velocit-E I hit 25 or so that season.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
That's the one from 2013. The OG Velocit-E was called the "crayon Velocit-E" from about 2001/2002. It was the first time I had ever hit a composite bat. After swinging the OG all of my metal bats were put in the basement. I would hit a few HR's per year with the metal bats. When I hit the Velocit-E I hit 25 or so that season.

Yeah, OG Velocit-E was a good bat, and it had GREAT durability. I know a guy who had one, and it absolutely opened my eyes to composite bats. Better than anything aluminum I was swinging at the time. This was probably 2003 or 2004.

Problem was, I was too late to buy one. The bat was a year or two old already, and they couldn't be found. I never ended up getting a Velocit-E. Got a Velocit-E 2 and it was f'ing terrible.

I ended up getting a Mizuno Rage after that, and it was almost as good. The Fury was even better (though less durable).

jhitman

Yeah, OG Velocit-E was a good bat, and it had GREAT durability. I know a guy who had one, and it absolutely opened my eyes to composite bats. Better than anything aluminum I was swinging at the time. This was probably 2003 or 2004.

Problem was, I was too late to buy one. The bat was a year or two old already, and they couldn't be found. I never ended up getting a Velocit-E. Got a Velocit-E 2 and it was f'ing terrible.

I ended up getting a Mizuno Rage after that, and it was almost as good. The Fury was even better (though less durable).

The OG Velocit-E was better than any bat I had ever used until the Ultra2 came out. My metal bats just gathered dust in my basement once the composites came on to the scene. I had a friend buy 30 Ultra2's at a discounted bundle price from Miken at that time. He turned around and was selling them to all of the local players. He made a nice little profit. The Ultra2 changed things here in MD right away. They were popping up everywhere. The LD's got wind of the phenomenon and they were banned the very next year for league play.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
The OG Velocit-E was better than any bat I had ever used until the Ultra2 came out. My metal bats just gathered dust in my basement once the composites came on to the scene. I had a friend buy 30 Ultra2's at a discounted bundle price from Miken at that time. He turned around and was selling them to all of the local players. He made a nice little profit. The Ultra2 changed things here in MD right away. They were popping up everywhere. The LD's got wind of the phenomenon and they were banned the very next year for league play.

First batch OG Synergy was (and probably still is) the hottest bat I've ever swung. Not a ridiculously large sweetspot, but when you found it the ball was out of sight. The handle had a bunch of flex, which is unusual for Eastons. Lousy durability. TONS of trampoline effect.

Hottest bat I've swung in games over the last 10 years is a 2016 DC41 220. Orange/red handle w/ digi camo grey barrel. That bat was superb right away. I actually still have it, and it tests a shade under 220.

Goater

Addicted to Softballfans
to follow up on my OP ... I finally got to swing the bat in BP and it was nothing to write home about ... at a minimum, it had a small sweet spot, at least based on the balls that I hit .. not close to the senior bats that I swing in games

jhitman

First batch OG Synergy was (and probably still is) the hottest bat I've ever swung. Not a ridiculously large sweetspot, but when you found it the ball was out of sight. The handle had a bunch of flex, which is unusual for Eastons. Lousy durability. TONS of trampoline effect.

Hottest bat I've swung in games over the last 10 years is a 2016 DC41 220. Orange/red handle w/ digi camo grey barrel. That bat was superb right away. I actually still have it, and it tests a shade under 220.

I actually had that bat and used it for BP. I was still swinging the white DC41 with the big red knob. My buddy told me to switch to the Camo one as I was hitting it a long ways every BP session. Either way, both bats were great.

defos

First batch OG Synergy was (and probably still is) the hottest bat I've ever swung.
I was subbing for a friend's team when the 1st baseman showed up with what he was told was the first Synergy sold in Des Moines. He fretted all through warm-ups, and right up to his first AB, about whether to take it out of the wrapper and use it, or return it. $125 was a lot of $$$, and his wife wasn't going to like it. He bought it on his lunch break, so she didn't know about it. On his first swing, the ball was still going up when it cleared the lights at 305'. To be fair, he was 6'5" and built like he should have been getting paid to play linebacker or tight end. I subbed for them several more times that summer, and never saw him come close to hitting another one like that.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I was subbing for a friend's team when the 1st baseman showed up with what he was told was the first Synergy sold in Des Moines. He fretted all through warm-ups, and right up to his first AB, about whether to take it out of the wrapper and use it, or return it. $125 was a lot of $$$, and his wife wasn't going to like it. He bought it on his lunch break, so she didn't know about it. On his first swing, the ball was still going up when it cleared the lights at 305'. To be fair, he was 6'5" and built like he should have been getting paid to play linebacker or tight end. I subbed for them several more times that summer, and never saw him come close to hitting another one like that.

1st batch Synergy could make anyone look like a good hitter. This was also back in the days when balls were white and .47 525s.

That bat was what opened my eyes to how hot a bat could really be....

hit50more

Addicted to Softballfans
These were my go to bat for years so I needed to chime in. Back in the day this bat had a small sweet spot but once you dialed
yourself into it they hit moonshots. I always used the Maxloads in 29-30 oz & some on the scale weighed in much more. Some had
rods in the knob into the handle, the load was washers in the endcap. Some when the black paint would wear down the base color was
Gray telling me a Ultra under cover and these were opened from NIW. Some of the Intensit-E were the same way. These were a very durable
bat but took some break in time to get rolling but when they opened up one of the best ever made and I have been swinging them all for many years including the OG Synergy mentioned above.