Military Worlds/ Utrip Major World Series

bdunn12

Addicted to Softballfans
How would they get hurt in this tempature? We west coaster's play in this weather all the time with no injuries.

wouldn't be any different than us going to east coast and playing in the humidity when were not used to it..I see more people at worlds with cramps or heat exhaustion then I have in Vegas or Texas..

^^^^^Agree^^^^^

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
They really should see if they can get the Sportsplex in Aurora, CO

12 Fields, 300-320ft fences. Easy to get to by flying into Denver. Lots of hotels in the area and weather in the mid 80's to 90's that time of the year.

It doesn't get much more "central" than that.

BIGCOUNTRYKS

Addicted to Softballfans
Here's an idea,,,,,why don't you guys send this crap to usssa and roger hockey!!! Complaining on here ain't gonna change anything. In my opinion the best place to have it will be Mansfield BLD or Vegas BLD. I will go to Florida next year and hit dingers and stingers and get so hammered I don't remember my room number. So either be the solution or part of the problem. Oh and one more thing, if you guys know a director where the tourney would be better get in their ear and have them under bid PCB!!

Travis14

Addicted to Softballfans
I am going to talk to the colorado state director this weekend and see if he will bid it with aurora sports park.

POINT33

PCB is locked in for at least another year. If you really want them to change it, don't show up next year. That will get the higher ups to think twice about accepting another PCB bid. Rain/Weather happens, especially this time of year in that area. If they want to keep it there, a change in date should be the answer. Otherwise we will run into the problem(s) over and over again.

bashbro24

Back in the game
I have to laugh at most of these responses. You guys make it sound like it is so easy to run a tournament and control the weather. Yes, there were periods this weekend when the rains stopped, but did any of you go out and actually take a look at the fields. It wouldn't have been as easy to just push the water off of them and then play ball. Plus after Thursday, it never really stopped long enough to even get that accomplished. Then what, would you expect the directors to have ALL teams just waiting at the fields all day just in case they got the field playable for 30 minutes. It rained, it happens. You guys are telling me that a local tournament to you has never been rained out?

As for changing locations, I do not diagree with these statements. The question then becomes where to change it to. Yes Texas and Vegas are both great options for getting it in without rain, but did any of you look at the temperature in those two locations this weekend? It was 105-108 in Vegas all weekend. Lots of people would have gotten hurt in those temperatures. I didn't look at Texas, but I can almost bet it was pretty close to triple digits there as well. Other locations would be great as well but don't have major airports close so it would cost traveling teams even more (i.e. Myrtle Beach, Columbus, GA). My recommendation for location changes would be Sterling, MI or Kansas City. I have attended USSSA Worlds in both of these locations in the past and they are both great complexes and have plenty to do around them. Now these might not be the most family friendly locations, but they are good complexes. Disney is really the best option. Cheap flights and plenty for families. Plus, they might get rain but nothing compared to PCB.

As for the updates, I agree that those were spotty but whomever is listed as your coach should have been getting all emails sent out by the Director. You should have also been getting text messages if they had your current cell phone number.

I am not trying to defend the Directors or USSSA I am just tired of hearing people complain when there was nothing that could be done. Every tournament you travel to you risk something like this happening. Does it suck, hell yeah, is it controllable, not really.

Texas is the perfect place. If you play at BLD in Mansfield it is centrally located and even if it rains you can still play cause its turf. The heat is nothing worse then Panama City. Plus they indoor venues you can go for AC if your not playing. If you go to Vegas the East Coast teams will hqave the same complaint the west coast teams have had for years (travel) but Texas is perfect. I've played all over the United States and Texas I think is the best option.

T8S

Addicted to Softballfans
If you go to Vegas the East Coast teams will hqave the same complaint the west coast teams have had for years (travel) .

Not if it's held the same time of year. Vegas is actually really cheap in the summer months for 2 simple reasons.

1. It's hot so it's actually considered their off-peak season.
2. It's peak season for other family venues (ie: Florida, California, etc)

But, I have to add anyone who wants to have any sort of World event at a BLD is plain and simple nuts. The fields at every BLD I've ever played at and that's AZ, CA, NV have ridiculously small dimensions. 270 down the lines 285 to dead center, it's a joke. If you are going to hold it somewhere it has to be on real fields.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Last time I played in Vegas was many years ago but what I remember is that it was Labor Day weekend (or within a week), 108* and record high humidity there. Not interested in that again.....our P passed out on the mound in the middle of an inning.

firemanbutch

~Brag Post~ ;)
Last time I played in Vegas was many years ago but what I remember is that it was Labor Day weekend (or within a week), 108* and record high humidity there. Not interested in that again.....our P passed out on the mound in the middle of an inning.

So, what you're saying is you would take spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to travel to an event that has a high probability of getting rained out and wasting all that money over traveling to a place where it might be a little warmer but you actually get to play ball???? Seriously?!?!? You know when it's hot, you can do preventative stuff like drink water, lots of it and use sunscreen. I don't understand this mentality at all :confused:

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
So, what you're saying is you would take spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to travel to an event that has a high probability of getting rained out and wasting all that money over traveling to a place where it might be a little warmer but you actually get to play ball???? Seriously?!?!? You know when it's hot, you can do preventative stuff like drink water, lots of it and use sunscreen. I don't understand this mentality at all :confused:

So you're saying the only choices are hot with a chance of scalding OR rain?

I said I wasn't interested in triple digit weather. I'd imagine some others share the same feeling.

GA, CO, CA, MI were all also mentioned. I didn't realize we were down to Vegas or PCB only....my bad :rolleyes:

DirtyDick74

Player forever
I spoke with Roger Hockey and he is being closely monitored medicaly 100% of the time at the moment. for those who dont know he had a episode where he blacked out 5 times in one day and they cant find the cause. Please dont bother him with any softball matters at this time. Please keep him in your prayers and thoughts. We need him back healthy!

JBsoftball4

Softball Gigolos
I am pretty sure that refunds were going out. One of the guys I know who coaches on of the Intramural teams that was down there got their refund. Maybe because they paid via Credit Card? I'm not really sure though.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I am pretty sure that refunds were going out. One of the guys I know who coaches on of the Intramural teams that was down there got their refund. Maybe because they paid via Credit Card? I'm not really sure though.

Curious? If we won a paid berth who should be looking for that refund.....our State Director or me (coach)?

IMO it belongs to our State Director, but I just want to make sure it happens!

JBsoftball4

Softball Gigolos
Curious? If we won a paid berth who should be looking for that refund.....our State Director or me (coach)?

IMO it belongs to our State Director, but I just want to make sure it happens!

Good question. You guys won the berth so the state director should give it to you, but that's something you would need to work out.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Good question. You guys won the berth so the state director should give it to you, but that's something you would need to work out.

If he offered I wouldn't refuse it but I would never ask for it based on circumstance. This year was the 2nd year he hosted a FREE tournament for "the best of NJ military softball" for lack of a better phrase.....I think he calls it the "Military Celebration Tournament" or something like that.

He goes out and gets sponsors so everything can be free for the NJ military teams, including a small BBQ lunch and Gatorade. Entry fee, balls, umps and awards are all covered....so we had no stake in the paid berth other than our time.....which was spent playing ball.

I do think the Director (JM) probably deserves something for his time and efforts spent preparing and on those 2 rainy days. I am just curious to the amount that gets refunded.

POINT33

Does anyone know how to get the World 2013 T-Shirts? I get them every year but because of the whole rainout I wasn't able to.

JDKasper26

Addicted to Softballfans
Still no refund? Anybody hear something different?
I received mine a couple of days ago. I paid via credit card so it was credited to my account. I'm out of Joint Base Andrews. Surprised that it was a full refund because I heard a few rumors that it wasn't going to be a full refund.

Big Al#55

Photographer
We need all you guys to go to Facebook and join the new group that was formed. Its called Military Softball. Everybody's input is needed and welcomed.

FUPA

Addicted to Softballfans
The thing that really irks me is how the Scraps are going to Orlando to rep the military in the tournament. I thought it went to the highest point total throughout the yearly events. I thought GI earned that spot.

Rocket57

Addicted to Softballfans
GI couldn't field a full team for this event. SO we asked Scraps to back fill us
(part of the warfighter softball club). The team name will still be GI.

Rich

FUPA

Addicted to Softballfans
I understand that you could not take the whole team, but is it right that we deviate from the original rules. Why just the scraps? Why not ask the guys that were all tourney last year? I just think its wrong that the rosters were supposed to be frozen unless an injury occurs and now we are changing again after something goes wrong and it benefits one side. Why accept the bid if you knew you couldnt go? Why not go down the list and ask other teams if they could rep instead of combining?

BIGCOUNTRYKS

Addicted to Softballfans
Wooow. Jeff and the scraps will do anything they can to benefit themselves. They blindfold people with money to make it happen. When will people see this? Argue with me all you want but there is way too much proof of this. Just change the rules so that there is only one rule and that is Jeff gets what he wants!!!

jOeyb00

Addicted to Softballfans
I understand that you could not take the whole team, but is it right that we deviate from the original rules. Why just the scraps? Why not ask the guys that were all tourney last year? I just think its wrong that the rosters were supposed to be frozen unless an injury occurs and now we are changing again after something goes wrong and it benefits one side. Why accept the bid if you knew you couldnt go? Why not go down the list and ask other teams if they could rep instead of combining?

We (GI) surveyed the talent across all the teams and took the guys we felt would help us win...and they just mostly happened to be in the WSC fam. Myers x 2, Tre, Q, B. Gooding, Trenton, Watkins etc etc. Bottom line....its nobodies business really. If everyone wants a say in what happens...put your team together BEFORE worlds and try to earn some points. Either way, GI was walking trough that tourney....BOOM! hahahahahahahahaha