Milw. Co. still finds ways to screw it up!

rybred23

Starting Player
To those who don't know yet, the county has decided to switch it up again. The biggest change, I think, is no ''normal'' leagues at Wilson. Only men's over 40, wood bat, coed, 16'' big ball and of all things whiffle ball. Really whiffle ball?

They have also renamed mens leagues to ''competitive'' and ''social''. All competitive play will be at West Milwaukee. Social will be at Estabrook/Kern and LaFollette.

I would have never thought that Wilson would be an afterthought. I personally think Wilson is better than W.M.

Your thoughts on the changes? But be prepared for a change next year, Im sure everything will be different again.

PaulyP1

Banned User
Don't leave out the sweet tournament details at end of year. The writings been on the wall for years. Just don't give them a dime and they'll wilt away.

DRKS1D3

Addicted to Softballfans
Only advantage for me is WM is closer. Wilson is a better park though for sure.

brewcitydude25

Addicted to Softballfans
You also forgot to add that County is doing away with playoffs. Apparently Alyssa's reasoning was that getting away from guys with lots of bats and roller bags would up the interest in the area.

Pretty

Softball is cool
I am going back on my statement of looking for a team in Milwaukee County. City, sure. Another night at Toga, sure.

Kweez

Addicted to Softballfans
How is not having a tournament to determine the county champion going to drive up interest??? That makes no sense. She couldn't have said that.

sjury

The Old Man
They could do competitive at Wilson, with a 5+1 or 7+1 hr thing, social at West Milwaukee with 0-2 hr
Use Zablocki as a back up for rainouts.

Use Lafollette and estabrook for their whiffle and 16" leagues, **** add kickball as well.

But that's just me.

WiscBdevils06

Addicted to Softballfans
They could do competitive at Wilson, with a 5+1 or 7+1 hr thing, social at West Milwaukee with 0-2 hr
Use Zablocki as a back up for rainouts.

Use Lafollette and estabrook for their whiffle and 16" leagues, **** add kickball as well.

But that's just me.

THat makes too much sense, why the heck would she do that?! haha.

rybred23

Starting Player
So I emailed her the other day and what she says is the main reason for the change in playoff format is that there is no sponsor as in previous years. So the ''pay to play'' is open to any team that played in a co. league. So if a last place team wanted to play, all they would have to do is pay. It might be a very watered down tournament. It would take place at the end of July.

WiscBdevils06

Addicted to Softballfans
So I emailed her the other day and what she says is the main reason for the change in playoff format is that there is no sponsor as in previous years. So the ''pay to play'' is open to any team that played in a co. league. So if a last place team wanted to play, all they would have to do is pay. It might be a very watered down tournament. It would take place at the end of July.

this will make for alot of interesting playoff rosters

WarHorse

Star Player
Until home runs start hitting the houses and the cops are called to shut the fields down :nono::nono:

They put a big net up in front of that house... But we still hit it sometimes because we're *******s.

Cops only got called once because some dude drunkenly hit and run someone else just outside the field.

rybred23

Starting Player
Well the new rule for County playoffs is that players CANNOT use their own bats!! Milwaukee county will provide the bats. I just dont get the rationale!

Pretty

Softball is cool
Well the new rule for County playoffs is that players CANNOT use their own bats!! Milwaukee county will provide the bats. I just dont get the rationale!

What bats? Wait for it, oh there is the joke, a Easton Hammer?

rybred23

Starting Player
Who knows!? I just hope that they dont get enough teams to fill the tournament and they will realize that their way is ridiculous.

Matt1336

Addicted to Softballfans
Well... If morons would stop cheating and/or if morons would stop complaining about cheating there wouldn't be an issue here.

rybred23

Starting Player
Cheating how? What rolled or shaved bats? And who complains to Co. about that. I've never played against someone who said they would call and complain.

brewcitydude25

Addicted to Softballfans
Hello Managers!

We have received feedback from a number of people regarding the changes to the tournament structure this year. Below is some information that will hopefully answer some of the questions that you have regarding the change.

Question 1: What's the deal with the playoff format change?
Answer: ​The long standing tournament sponsor has not renewed the sponsorship for the 2015 season, therefore, change had to happen.

Question 2: What's the deal with league play?
Answer: ​In order to participate in tournament play, teams must be registered and play in the leagues. This is not a unchanged rule from years past. Also, teams that participate in leagues are still competing for league championship awards provided by Dunn's Sporting Goods.

Question 3: What's the deal with the creation of the tournament format?
Answer: Last fall a survey was sent out addressing a variety of concerns/issues/suggestions for county softball leagues & tournament play. Feedback from the 130 responses indicated that there was a overwhelmingly strong interest in the pay for play format. A couple of reasons that were mentioned included: 1) That more substantial prizes could be awarded if the format changed.
2) More teams from competitive leagues would be eligible to participate, when in years past they might not have. We listened and implemented these suggestions and created the current format.

Question 4: What's the deal with the tournament bats?
Answer: ​In the survey, a lot of frustrations regarding bats was mentioned. Because there is not a 100% test to confirm if a bat has been altered or tampered with, other than cutting it open, the Parks Department has decided to provide bats to better control/monitor any illegal use by individuals/teams. This will eliminate the potential for anybody to cheat and will allow for every team to be on an equal field of play. The bats that will be provided will be brand new ASA approved top of the line composite or wood bats (depending on which tournament you participate).

brewcitydude25

Addicted to Softballfans
FWIW, as a bar owner, my two county teams would have gone back to Wilson but are notw not playing at all on those nights and from talking to other people have yet to hear of a Wilson team moving to play at West Milwaukee. Good job Alyssa!