MINNESOTA Thread: Mother Nature hates MN softball.

ddd

Addicted to Softballfans
Higher education doesn't necessarily equal opportunities or financial success. One would think its easier to find a job with and advanced degree, however as I have experienced it is the opposite.

To give you an example, I have a Ph.D. By doing so, I have extensively limited my job market. It doesn't matter if I want to work for XYZ company at a lower pay rate. Because I am "over qualified" I have eliminated myself from the job solely based on my education. Personally, geographic location is far more valuable than pay grade. However, to employers, that doesn't matter!!

I recently went through this debacle and was lucky to find the perfect job in the perfect location. However, I was unsuccessful for a quite a while.

Great point on education and jobs. I think it was channel 11 about a month ago that reported some findings. Do not quote me on this, but I think they said over 60% of college graduates from 2 years ago do not have jobs in their field of education(not sure if it was school or state specific). This does not mean unemployed, but still a crazy stat. With me being a teacher(special education), it is hard for me to push students to think of a 4 year college. With many, it is about finding something you like and are good at and getting training.

Kenny Powers

Addicted to Softballfans
I miss college as well!!!
Looking back, life was so easy. I made more money then than I do now(sad to think of after getting a higher education).

I never had money in college, but always had enough to buy beer. Rent was late a few times, but I never went thirsty.....

rmothes

Star Player
Great point on education and jobs. I think it was channel 11 about a month ago that reported some findings. Do not quote me on this, but I think they said over 60% of college graduates from 2 years ago do not have jobs in their field of education(not sure if it was school or state specific). This does not mean unemployed, but still a crazy stat. With me being a teacher(special education), it is hard for me to push students to think of a 4 year college. With many, it is about finding something you like and are good at and getting training.

Totally agree with the education statments. I've been trying to keep a Physical Education and DAPE teaching job since 2001, but since I have a master's degree, I am disqualified from most jobs. I've been hired and released by 6 different public schools just because they can, not because of my performance. Working the charter school circuit as an independent contractor now. Still don't know exactly how much or where I'll be teaching each year, but it's the most stable job I've ever had.

Can we get this rain to clear out so teams can start playing? I know the tourney I'm running this weekend is on even if it keeps raining through Friday. Our fields can take it.

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans

I completely agree with the statements in bold!! When I was going through my job search my wife and I were living apart because my job was a temporary job in Philadelphia while hers was permanent here in the cities. I told her many times that if I can't find a job in my field, I would leave it just to be home with her, family, and friends.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your viewpoint) at least 4-year degree is necessary for most jobs (major doesn't matter as much). Employers want you to show that you can accomplish a task. To be honest, I had no idea what I was getting into and would not do it again. A B.S. would have sufficed just as well. The only way a Ph.D. helps me is that I have a higher ceiling, and a lot more stress.

ddd

Addicted to Softballfans
Totally agree with the education statments. I've been trying to keep a Physical Education and DAPE teaching job since 2001, but since I have a master's degree, I am disqualified from most jobs. I've been hired and released by 6 different public schools just because they can, not because of my performance. Working the charter school circuit as an independent contractor now. Still don't know exactly how much or where I'll be teaching each year, but it's the most stable job I've ever had.

Can we get this rain to clear out so teams can start playing? I know the tourney I'm running this weekend is on even if it keeps raining through Friday. Our fields can take it.

Phy ed will be my next license.....

rmothes

Star Player
I'd say don't do it, unless you know you can get a job at your same school or district. It's still on the chopping block in many places. No federal or state funding coming for PE. They even find ways to cut DAPE, which is illegal, but that district likes to flirt with the law.
Of course, if you've got tenure, you're somewhat safe. After getting cut the first time, I realized tenure was just a pipe dream. Sorry for anybody who is a union person, but in the teaching profession, it's only good for those who are given jobs in one spot long enough.

rmothes

Star Player
Otherwise, teaching Phy Ed is the way to go. Nothing better than being able to play games and sports all day long for a job.

ddd

Addicted to Softballfans
I have tenure. I love my job now, but know I can not do special ed the rest of my career.

rmothes

Star Player
Few sped teachers can. If they don't get out of it, they switch schools often because they need to be somewhere new. What district if you don't mind me asking?

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet

I usually tell people that are getting into to teaching to not get their Masters until they are tenured for that reason. My wife got hers, but it sounds like the school she teaches at encouraged it.

ddd

Addicted to Softballfans
I usually tell people that are getting into to teaching to not get their Masters until they are tenured for that reason. My wife got hers, but it sounds like the school she teaches at encouraged it.

I would agree, I waited to mine until then. Or, in some cases I know people who have almost done with their program and wait to do their last class until they have tenure.

rmothes

Star Player

That's exactly what I tell all newbies I run into as well. I didn't get hired for 2 years after I finished my undergrad, so I kept taking a class here and there, because I knew I wouldn't want to once I had a job. Found myself 1 credit away after I was hired, so I just finished. Yep, I was finished teaching there.
As much as I loved Ventura, he screwed up the education system when he became gov. Unfortunately, that's when I entered the field. Since then a master's has been bad in most places.

Sixes

K C C O
Rmothes, where do you teach at? I am in Social Studies.

I am in the 100 hr practicum portion of my education.

I would really dig teaching in a middle school at this point

rmothes

Star Player
Rmothes, where do you teach at? I am in Social Studies.

I am in the 100 hr practicum portion of my education.

I would really dig teaching in a middle school at this point

Ahh yes, the hours. You don't stop needing to count hours once your a teacher either for re-licensure. Here's my list of employment victims for subbing/part-time/full-time work:

Edina
South Washington County
Stillwater
Rochester
W. St. Paul/Mendota Heights
Hastings
N. St. Paul/Maplewood/Oakdale
Roseville
White Bear Lake
Hopkins
Goodhue County Ed. District

With my current gig I can teach at any of the charter schools in the metro area. There are probably about 100. Currently, I go from Apple Valley to Forest Lake to St. Paul (3 schools), to Fort Snelling, and to Monticello and I sub on other days. Today for example, I chose to take off because I'm setting up my tournament schedule for this weekend. Corky's is where it's at, but I provide a little something for those less fortunate.

rmothes

Star Player
Just to clarify, Corky's is not where my tournament is, but it's the big show. My tourney is for those teams who know they aren't at that level, don't want to travel that far, or just don't care about nationals.

cwr117

Fun in fundamental.
Just to clarify, Corky's is not where my tournament is, but it's the big show. My tourney is for those teams who know they aren't at that level, don't want to travel that far, or just don't care about nationals.

Where in the grove you live? You play at the fields there?

ddd

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe I am crazy. But after the OT goal they showed a group on Wild fans. I swear one of them was one of the brothers from the Warriors......

rmothes

Star Player
Maybe I am crazy. But after the OT goal they showed a group on Wild fans. I swear one of them was one of the brothers from the Warriors......

Possible, I only saw one of them at Rainbow last night in CG. And I guess technically he would still have time to fly there and make it for the end of the game if he left at 6pm our time.

rmothes

Star Player
What night do you ump? I play wednesday nights with Hot Mess Express.

You will see me there every Wed.&Thur. I won't have you guys until later this month though. I see you have a bye next week. Nice way to start the year, rainout, then bye.

ddd

Addicted to Softballfans
Kind of nice that the Wild play Friday night. Now I will have something to watch over that country concert..