MINNESOTA Thread: Mother Nature hates MN softball.

ddd

Addicted to Softballfans
Ever since I saw guy in the buffalo early bird get hit in the face, I have worn one, no matter the competition...

ddd

Addicted to Softballfans
Floating rubber would be nice. I'd pitch from the max distance back. The issues I see are the pitchers that are spectators. Expect everything to be hit back at you

This last weekend in Brainerd, it was all ASA rules but MSF for pitching rubber(6 ft behind the rubber).

Maximus Decimus

Slap Hands!
Floating rubber is crap, umps can hardly call a game the way it is, just add a pitcher moving around an imaginary 6th box sounds horrible. If they want to just move the rubber back, that would be a better idea, imo.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
Does anyone have a Monday night fall ball team between Brooklyn Center and Albertville looking for guys? I might need somewhere to play.

Thought about getting something together to play fall ball on Monday's in Rogers, but I just won't have the time to get everything set up.

rmothes

Star Player
The league I'm in is MSF and they have the 6 ft. step back option. Most pitchers don't do it. Too comfortable having that rubber to start from. And as an ump, I agree it can make a difference when calling the strike zone. Just pitching from that small distance further back requires the pitch to be thrown harder and flatter to be strikes, but that can also carry it through the zone. The couple pitchers in my league that do it do very well at it and really it mostly just takes seeing it done to get used to how an individual pitcher's motion makes the ball come in toward the plate.

Masks, moving the rubber back could all be done, but I'd agree that most importantly each pitcher needs to be prepared to be a fielder not just a pitcher. Many times when I've seen a pitcher get hit it's because he's admiring his pitch instead of prepping for the ball to get hit back. This guy who got hit was maybe 50-60 years old and his age was most likely what caused him to only get the top portion of his glove on the ball knocking it into his teeth.

BigD7/11

Addicted to Softballfans
The league I'm in is MSF and they have the 6 ft. step back option. Most pitchers don't do it. Too comfortable having that rubber to start from. And as an ump, I agree it can make a difference when calling the strike zone. Just pitching from that small distance further back requires the pitch to be thrown harder and flatter to be strikes, but that can also carry it through the zone. The couple pitchers in my league that do it do very well at it and really it mostly just takes seeing it done to get used to how an individual pitcher's motion makes the ball come in toward the plate.

Masks, moving the rubber back could all be done, but I'd agree that most importantly each pitcher needs to be prepared to be a fielder not just a pitcher. Many times when I've seen a pitcher get hit it's because he's admiring his pitch instead of prepping for the ball to get hit back. This guy who got hit was maybe 50-60 years old and his age was most likely what caused him to only get the top portion of his glove on the ball knocking it into his teeth.

Are you umping in CG? and what team was the guy playing for if it was in CG

BigD7/11

Addicted to Softballfans
Yep, old man pitching for 9 jerks and a squirt.

Thats crazy, cause when we(Hot Mess Express) were grilling the other week we were talking about that guy and if he only played one of the teams that had some good hitters on the team there would be no way of him having any defense. He was not an athletic 50-60 year old, he moved very slowly.

tsfingrocks

Average, at best
Just a friendly reminder: I am (coed) legend.

I'm on a whole different level. Guys want to be me. The girls want to be with me. Umpires fear me.

tsfingrocks

Average, at best
Took 5th in Tier 2 men's. Beat the coed legend.

Bro. I owned you suckas for 2 2/3 innings. 0-0 with 2 RBIs in 2 ABs. 3 balls fielded middle. Put me out there 7 innings and we win 20-0 in 4. Lock down.

Seriously though, I found it hard not to laugh when we had to intentionally walk Fitz and he said "Are you f***ing kidding me. I cant buy a hit."

Bubs77

Addicted to Softballfans
Bro. I owned you suckas for 2 2/3 innings. 0-0 with 2 RBIs in 2 ABs. 3 balls fielded middle. Put me out there 7 innings and we win 20-0 in 4. Lock down.

Seriously though, I found it hard not to laugh when we had to intentionally walk Fitz and he said "Are you f***ing kidding me. I cant buy a hit."

Hahahaha yeah that was pretty darn funny. and I was struggling all day!

Last edited:

hinzy

}}i{{
Hinzy, don't confuse him now!! :)

confused.gif