mlb free agency

ssf

Too tired to care
royals and mariners always have some of the best farms

Then why the **** keep running Smoak out there?

Mariners do have a truckload of top pitching prospects though (as long as they stop getting hurt)

Brooks

Addicted to Softballfans
I wish David Price would sign a one yr ext for $15 mill so the youngsters have more time to develop, but that isn't going to happen. I see him in Texas or NY next season.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
That's all well and good but **** him, platoon Lavarnway and Ross for a year and use the money on a player who won't be a DH in three years.

McCann also might go off on Papi for watching his homeruns too long. I have a feeling McCann will take a one year contract then become the commissioner when Selig leaves in 2015. He'll clean up the game.

Hambo

Starting Player
They have to make him an offer or they won't get a compensation pick if he signs elsewhere.

The Cards made the offer to Beltran but he's made it clear he wants multiple years... The darkhorse to sign him IMO is the Rangers who are about to lose their RF to a long suspension.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if David Price ends up in a Cubs uniform. The Cubs are dying for a legit top of the rotation pitcher.

Peacock

DBOTY 2011
The Cards made the offer to Beltran but he's made it clear he wants multiple years... The darkhorse to sign him IMO is the Rangers who are about to lose their RF to a long suspension.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if David Price ends up in a Cubs uniform. The Cubs are dying for a legit top of the rotation pitcher.

Nice one, homer.

trip

stfu
alex rios is the rangers rf. nelson cruz was their lf and he's a free agent, and was already suspended.

j.bishop

Nothing to see here
McCann also might go off on Papi for watching his homeruns too long. I have a feeling McCann will take a one year contract then become the commissioner when Selig leaves in 2015. He'll clean up the game.

Between you and bambinos I'm not sure who has a harder time letting this go. It's like it consumes you two

Hambo

Starting Player
Beltran declined the $14.1MM one-year qualifying offer from the Cards. Rumors are he's looking at either the Yankees or Red Sox.

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
He will be in Boston before NY. Word is that he wants a 3-4 year contract, what could go wrong with an aging outfielder who plays like he does?

trip

stfu
beltran has the yankees written all over him. aging, wants and will get a long term deal, will be overpaid.

and the short porch in right field with minimal ground to cover in new york vs the big ass outfield in boston

STLCoach

Nobiscum Deus
He will be in Boston before NY. Word is that he wants a 3-4 year contract, what could go wrong with an aging outfielder who plays like he does?

beltran has the yankees written all over him. aging, wants and will get a long term deal, will be overpaid.

and the short porch in right field with minimal ground to cover in new york vs the big ass outfield in boston

The best plan of action for him is to DH in the AL. He's 36 and will be 37 by next April.. A 3-4 year contract will put him over 40 years old. He should be trying to DH more with very limited playing time.

DRock88

What's the problem here?
Yeah, he looked like an old, declining OF last year. :rolleyes:

At 37, he's still an above average OF. He would be an upgrade for nearly every team in the MLB, especially factoring in his offensive production. He gets good jumps and has a rifle.

Gio, again, you don't know baseball at all.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Yeah, he looked like an old, declining OF last year. :rolleyes:

At 37, he's still an above average OF. He would be an upgrade for nearly every team in the MLB, especially factoring in his offensive production. He gets good jumps and has a rifle.

Gio, again, you don't know baseball at all.

I'm a big Beltran fan, but signs over the past two years point to a guy that needs to have more days off from playing the field. I don't think he needs to be a full time DH though.

Here's his first half numbers the last two years.

AVG OBP SLG OPS HRs
.296 .382 .542 .924 20
.309 .346 .533 .879 19
Second half numbers

.252 .326 .424 .750 12
.277 .329 .429 .758 5

That's a guy that's worn out the second half.

He's a below league average right fielder now. He had -6 defensive runs save and he had the worst UZR(range) among all qualified right fielders in the league. He's still very solid with what he can get to , but you can't deny how much his range has decreased over the years.

DRock88

What's the problem here?
I would consider a 2nd half decline to be par for the course. Most guys will wear down. He's one of the best (clutch) post season hitters in the game, at the very least. He must get his 2nd wind if he's so depleted from the season due to age.

Who has comparable defensive numbers? Who is ahead of him? I would imagine that most of the guys above him are elite defenders and/or well below average offensively.

Of course his range has declined. He even used to play CF. Again, par for the course. If you knew nothing about his age or history, he'd resemble a good OF. He's not the young Beltran, but the old Beltran is still pretty damn good.

He doesn't need to be full-time DH. He's an upgrade for most.

For the record, I don't even like him. That cool attitude pisses me off.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I would consider a 2nd half decline to be par for the course. Most guys will wear down. He's one of the best (clutch) post season hitters in the game, at the very least. He must get his 2nd wind if he's so depleted from the season due to age.

Who has comparable defensive numbers? Who is ahead of him? I would imagine that most of the guys above him are elite defenders and/or well below average offensively.

Of course his range has declined. He even used to play CF. Again, par for the course. If you knew nothing about his age or history, he'd resemble a good OF. He's not the young Beltran, but the old Beltran is still pretty damn good.

He doesn't need to be full-time DH. He's an upgrade for most.

For the record, I don't even like him. That cool attitude pisses me off.
In UZR he was the worst in the league. Guys like Nelson Cruz and Michael Cuddyer were even ahead of him. He wasn't as bad in DRS. He was 13th among 18 qualifying RFs. I'm not saying he's ready to be a full time DH, but he clearly needs time off from playing the field. I think he would be a monster if he was able to DH 2 or 3 games a week.

Most guys do have somewhat of a second half drop off, but his were extreme. Especially when you look at slugging. I just don't think he makes a lot of sense for Boston, because of Big Papi being locked into the DH spot.

DRock88

What's the problem here?
Check that. Beltran was the 2nd worst defensive OF to Michael Cuddyer, based on UZR. From what I gather, that's strictly a rating of the OF's range. So be it. I wouldn't force him to DH full time.

DRock88

What's the problem here?
I don't want him in Boston. I'll pull for him if that's what happens, but I'm definitely not a fan.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Check that. Beltran was the 2nd worst defensive OF to Michael Cuddyer, based on UZR. From what I gather, that's strictly a rating of the OF's range. So be it. I wouldn't force him to DH full time.

You're looking at UZR150 for that. UZR he is the worst, UZR150 second worst.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Yeah, Morneau (sp?) needs a change of scenery...like a golf course maybe even.