Much has changed in the world of softball....

broguearcher

Titanium Applications
so what's making you get back in the game and what made you leave?

I stopped playing (and dealing in bats) for various reasons... some of them related to the fact that I had contracted Lyme Disease and was dealing with those effects. I'm just itching to play again and I'm also still interested in the state of bat technology and how it's being developed. During the 2002-2008 period softball bat performance really took off and then it seems like it was slowed down with the introduction of these new, lower performance softballs.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
I stopped playing (and dealing in bats) for various reasons... some of them related to the fact that I had contracted Lyme Disease and was dealing with those effects. I'm just itching to play again and I'm also still interested in the state of bat technology and how it's being developed. During the 2002-2008 period softball bat performance really took off and then it seems like it was slowed down with the introduction of these new, lower performance softballs.

Gotchya. A good friend of mine has lyme disease and it's tough to see her struggle with it all the time.

The technology is definitely very cool! I'd say there was quite a lull between 2010 and 2012. Then again, it was up in the air about what associations would do what. USSSA changed their stamp which made a ton of bats obsolete and pissed people off. Then ASA changed their way of testing bats requiring a new ASA slowpitch stamp. But once the ball was figured out and it was apparent the direction of most associations, the bat companies became smart. It used to be rare to see "ASA-only" bats as they were considered "inferior" to the 1.20BPF bats for so long. But with the new ball and testing, you see a ton more ASA-only bats that just kill the 52/300 ball. Really feels like the gap between 1.20BPF and "98mph" has shrunk to almost being non existent. Not sure what others think, but there was a ton of talk last year about "my ASA bat is out performing my utrip, WTH??"

Welcome back, though! Game is still a blast to play. :D

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see those guys on much anymore, but some of the old guys are still around.

The biggest difference with the new balls is the sound. If you hit it with the older bats it sounds like a pillow. Some of the newer bats are designed enough for it you still get that good crack sound, but it's still not like hitting a good 375 or 525. I agree with the others though, I prefer the new ball.

With the higher cor and lower compression they're better in the extreme heat and then don't bust bats as badly in the cold. I don't know if it'll bring the participation numbers back like they used to be, but it should be a step in the right direction.

broguearcher

Titanium Applications
I don't see those guys on much anymore, but some of the old guys are still around.

The biggest difference with the new balls is the sound. If you hit it with the older bats it sounds like a pillow. Some of the newer bats are designed enough for it you still get that good crack sound, but it's still not like hitting a good 375 or 525. I agree with the others though, I prefer the new ball.

With the higher cor and lower compression they're better in the extreme heat and then don't bust bats as badly in the cold. I don't know if it'll bring the participation numbers back like they used to be, but it should be a step in the right direction.

Good deal. Sounds like to me like the game is still enjoyable even with the new ball types.

Gotchya. A good friend of mine has lyme disease and it's tough to see her struggle with it all the time.

The technology is definitely very cool! I'd say there was quite a lull between 2010 and 2012. Then again, it was up in the air about what associations would do what. USSSA changed their stamp which made a ton of bats obsolete and pissed people off. Then ASA changed their way of testing bats requiring a new ASA slowpitch stamp. But once the ball was figured out and it was apparent the direction of most associations, the bat companies became smart. It used to be rare to see "ASA-only" bats as they were considered "inferior" to the 1.20BPF bats for so long. But with the new ball and testing, you see a ton more ASA-only bats that just kill the 52/300 ball. Really feels like the gap between 1.20BPF and "98mph" has shrunk to almost being non existent. Not sure what others think, but there was a ton of talk last year about "my ASA bat is out performing my utrip, WTH??"

Welcome back, though! Game is still a blast to play. :D

way to sum it up! straight and to the point.

broguearcher

Titanium Applications
Good ole days...

Miss ya brother, hope all is well...I've had a few "broguearcher" bats, SILLY!!!

You're not that old but you walk like you're 100+

Jimmy! Man a lot of the old crew is still around... Very cool. Been pretty well overall, thanks. Looking forward to the coming months...might be looking for some people to test a demo bat for me... Plans are brewing

Jimmy34

Board Prick
Jimmy! Man a lot of the old crew is still around... Very cool. Been pretty well overall, thanks. Looking forward to the coming months...might be looking for some people to test a demo bat for me... Plans are brewing

Let me know, I'm in a whole different world down here, these Floridians are ridiculous...

bigseven

Sevens
Sam my friend great to see you're still alive. My older 2 sons will be playing travel baseball up in York and Hershey this summer. Stop by and say Hi. One plays for the Frederick Hustlers and the other plays for the Walkersville Jr. Lions.

broguearcher

Titanium Applications
Sam my friend great to see you're still alive. My older 2 sons will be playing travel baseball up in York and Hershey this summer. Stop by and say Hi. One plays for the Frederick Hustlers and the other plays for the Walkersville Jr. Lions.

Sounds good. I'll have to see if I'm able to come by and visit. :biggthumpup:

socalguy

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow, first time I have been on the board in months and I had a flashback to 2003 and the mohr days.

yance

Addicted to Softballfans
You left one thing out we went from 12ft to 10ft arc in ASA. So pitchers could have more bullets hit at them.

Pylon #00

Bad Mother****er
I'm having flashbacks of the Mohr board suddenly... LoL

Ha!! It's 2003 all over again.

:biggthumpup:

What the hell is the "Mohr Board"???

Wow, first time I have been on the board in months and I had a flashback to 2003 and the mohr days.

What is this "Mohr Board" you speak of???

I did a search on the intrawebz and only found a religious message board.... :confused:

camjo23

Addicted to Softballfans
By old I mean guys who joined the board in 2003....I crack up when I see guys that joined in 2011 call other members "Newbs"!!!