Muscle Strains

cwr117

Fun in fundamental.
Any ever pull a muscle in your upper back? Between your shoulder blades.

Did it yesterday while stretching:eek:

Been flat on my back since noon, ice and alot of ibuprofen.

How long am I out?

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like it could be a rhomboid. Shouldn't be a long recovery.

^^^Done this....and now is sort of a chronic issue.

PT provided exercises to strengthen the muscle itself and surrounding muscles.

He said common in teenagers as they tend to overwork the chest and don't work the back muslces adequately/evenly which causes the shoulders to 'slouch' forward stressing the rhomboid area.

The worst I had it was pain that lasted 3+ weeks which is when I went to PT. Now when it comes, it's gone in a few days.

In any event, maybe add a little more light-moderate back exercises in your lifting to balance out your chest lifting once the pain is gone.

wcoastsoftball

That is just the name of the muscle you possibly strained. May wan tto try some heat and once the pain subsides, some scapular retractions (pulling the scapulae back). A professional may be able to tell if massage would help

cwr117

Fun in fundamental.
Just did some serious googling.

Thanks for all the info boys, sounds like i need to head to the doc:(

I thought I was working my shoulders enough, guess not.

DEJ13

Addicted to Softballfans
Sorry but I just have to say you do not strain a muscle from stretching...it just doesn't happen. That being said you probably are experiencing from a rib dysfunction or a vertebra that has become rotated...go see a chiropractor

DEJ13

Addicted to Softballfans
I swear upon everything that is good and holy I did.

Not knowing exactly what you were doing all I can say is I have never seen it in twenty years of working with my athletes and clients. From my experience I am leaning more toward a rib dysfunction or vertebra rotation (ERS OR FRS) and in this case I recommend chiropractors to my athletes...just my 2 cents

cwr117

Fun in fundamental.
I was trying to stretch my shoulders out. There is a pull up bar about 7 feet off the ground at the gym. I like to grab it and stretch my shoulders. Got a shooting pain in my shoulders, I almost hit the ground. Went home right away and started icing it.

I do NOT do chiropractors. I have a DR's appt in a couple hours.

Any thoughts about how long it will take to recover?

I am unemployed, so I can literally sit all day.

Any tips would be great.

wcoastsoftball

Sorry but I just have to say you do not strain a muscle from stretching...it just doesn't happen. That being said you probably are experiencing from a rib dysfunction or a vertebra that has become rotated...go see a chiropractor

I agree here, but it could also be a previous issue that was not showing symptoms until he performed the movement he described.

DEJ13

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree here, but it could also be a previous issue that was not showing symptoms until he performed the movement he described.

Absolutely...And now that he explained what he did I am definitely leaning toward a rib or an ERS or FRS. If you don't do chiropractors it will be very difficult to say how long...IJS. Other option is find a physical therapist that can perform muscle energy techniques. You will not get better anytime soon by not addressing the problem...

wcoastsoftball

That is what I am hoping. Hopefully it is not something major.

Does "on the rink" in your profile mean you play ice hockey? I could see a strained rhomboid from hockey

Absolutely...And now that he explained what he did I am definitely leaning toward a rib or an ERS or FRS. If you don't do chiropractors it will be very difficult to say how long...IJS. Other option is find a physical therapist that can perform muscle energy techniques. You will not get better anytime soon by not addressing the problem...

Not too keen on muscle energy techniques, what about verterbral mobs?

DEJ13

Addicted to Softballfans
Not too keen on muscle energy techniques, what about verterbral mobs?[/QUOTE]

I use certain mobilization techniques on my athletes all the time especially in the rib area. You would be amazed how many high school athletes are tight in the thoracic area. I am a little more versed using muscle energy techniques to help the SI joint and hips as opposed the actual vertebral spine. The reason I mentioned muscle energy b/c he was reluctant about chiropractor. The symptoms he is experiencing happen to me periodically. Even though it feels like a strain it is usually a rib and/or ERS or FRS of a vertebra. Most people already have these conditions and it just takes something to set it off (i.e. hockey, lifting something wrong). So yes that is why I agree something preexisting was already there.

cwr117

Fun in fundamental.
Pulled both of my Trapezius muscles.

No damage to my spine.

I also saw a PT that was there, they both think that I probably hurt the muscles while doing something earlier, and when I lifted my arms up, the muscles "flaired up".

RICE is on order for me.

Thanks for all the info guys.

DEJ13

Addicted to Softballfans
Pulled both of my Trapezius muscles.

No damage to my spine.

I also saw a PT that was there, they both think that I probably hurt the muscles while doing something earlier, and when I lifted my arms up, the muscles "flaired up".

RICE is on order for me.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Good luck to you...