My ASA Bat Review

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans
I have 7 ASA bats that I took out a yesterday and did some BP with. I'll be honest....I don't play much ASA ball (no league, just some tournies)....but I just played 1 tourny this past weekend and I have another tourny this weekend thats ASA. I had purchased a couple of these bats recently and wanted to do a head to head comparison of them.

I am hitting with a cross wind mostly.....left to right. its 70F+ degrees....and I am swinging at just about anything that I can physically hit (my dad is not a pitcher by any means). I am taking 75-80% of a full power cut to give them all a fair shot and not get gassed by the later bats. I am hitting Dudley thunder SY (classic M) mainly. Keep in mind that I don't know the history of every bat....some are definitely not broken in...and some are more broken in. I would guess none are over 500-600 hits....most look pretty new.

Bats used

28oz Mizuno Wrath Extended
29oz Mizuno Frenzy 12.5" barrel
30oz Easton stealth SCN9
30oz Miken Recoil maxload
30oz Worth Mayhem 98
30oz Easton stealth SCN5
30oz Worth mayhem M75 98

dsc04754c.jpg

Mizuno Wrath and Frenzy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjJwj1ABiIM

Easton Stealth SCN9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gs7wZVIn0U

Miken Recoil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrzcP5cBbXk

Worth Mayhem 98
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CihdHVKSUk

SCN5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUD_v8Y_0CA

Worth M75 98
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKPVwNAPu4I

some mixed bat swings of the longer distance bats.....actually put some muscle into a couple.

May 98, stealths back to back with recoil at end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQzj-Luf2sE

I think most of them are pretty close in terms of distance. I think if I could get them all broken in they would be about 10-20 feet of each other. The bats do feel a little different but are all pretty good.....the wrath extended probably has the smallest sweet spot....but I have also taken the least amount of cuts on it and its probably the least broken in. (frenzy doesn't have many cuts on it)

If I had to choose a bat for the longest distance right now...I would rate them like this.

distance
1)SCN9
2) Recoil maxload
3) SCN5
4) Mayhem 98 (close to scn5)
5) wrath extended
6) mayhem M75
7) Frenzy 12.5"

remember that some of these bats are not broken in.

Sweet spot size
1) Recoil maxload
2) SCN9
3) May 98
4) SCN5
5) M75
6) Frenzy 12.5"
7) Wrath extended

I think I need to break some bats in more and do another comparison...but as they stand today.....thats what I think of them. The swing weight on the bats go like this.

Heaviest swing weight per ounce.....highest balance point first.
1) Mizuno frenzy 12.5"
2) wrath extended
3) Miken recoil maxload
4) May 98
5) M75 98
6) SCN5
7) SCN9

What felt the best....a lot felt good. For some reason the M75 98 feels good and I can hit line drives with it well.....but the long ball hits aren't...probably more of a mental thing....but its a solid bat. I keep swinging the damn SCN5....it feels like it needs to be broken in more and a beast will be unleashed....same with the May 98.......recoil feels like its almost there as well. Will keep hitting and update another day.

Combat28Mech

Addicted to Softballfans
hey at least your old man was nice enough to go out and pitch to you...He did better than some of the guys I have to get to pitch to me. Should thank him...

Sinyk

Addicted to Softballfans
An interesting review. I like that you filmed each bat. It's cool to hear the different sounds the bats make. One day I will remember to take a camera to BP.

JJK13

Addicted to Softballfans
All the bats you reviewed are very comparable to each other, imo, except the Wrathe ext. They are the biggest POS. The OG Wrath was decent, broke in 90 days and got the extended as a replacement, I don;t even like using it for bp.

jfahey4

Addicted to Softballfans
My m7598 took a long time to break in but after it did it was lights out. Distance was great and line drives were rockets. Balls really jumped off the bat. I picked up another and it is a log right now. Give it time and it will definately move up on your list.

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans
My m7598 took a long time to break in but after it did it was lights out. Distance was great and line drives were rockets. Balls really jumped off the bat. I picked up another and it is a log right now. Give it time and it will definately move up on your list.

I think you are right......still needs time to break in....definitely feels stiff.

The scn5 is transforming right now and so is the miken recoil.....they are almost there. so close to being really hot. Even the may 98 isn't broken in yet.....eek...a lot more BP and I should have a lot of really good bats!

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans
All the bats you reviewed are very comparable to each other, imo, except the Wrathe ext. They are the biggest POS. The OG Wrath was decent, broke in 90 days and got the extended as a replacement, I don;t even like using it for bp.

Its stiff right now.....but I dunno...I had one before and it wasn't bad.....I'll stick with it for a while and try to give it a legit shot.

RadCon10

Hibernating Up North
I think you are right......still needs time to break in....definitely feels stiff.

The scn5 is transforming right now and so is the miken recoil.....they are almost there. so close to being really hot. Even the may 98 isn't broken in yet.....eek...a lot more BP and I should have a lot of really good bats!

Once you get that Recoil fully broken in you won't look back. The bat is sick!!!

JJK13

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with the above post on the M7598. Takes a long time to break in, but nasty when it does. Trying to find another one.

Blade Rogers

Glad to see more good reviews on a Miken Recoil. I just bought a used one in good shape off of ebay. Can't wait til it gets here. Also bought a Demarini THE ONE this morning. Broke a couple bats this year and figured I'd do some replenishing if I can find a deal, and I got a pretty good deal on both of them. Too bad they aren't gonna make it here in time for this weekend.

EdgenMar

Addicted to Softballfans
i used the recoil maxload and it was a teammates. Its a hot bat for sure just dont make it a team bat. two out of the three different times i used it i made it rattle... sounded like bbs,but the original owner was a MLB player so maybe it was past broke in.. but i woul want one in my bag along with my Z-1000....

kweiss

Addicted to Softballfans
i used the recoil maxload and it was a teammates. Its a hot bat for sure just dont make it a team bat. two out of the three different times i used it i made it rattle... sounded like bbs,but the original owner was a MLB player so maybe it was past broke in.. but i woul want one in my bag along with my Z-1000....

:rolleyes:

Rattle means nothing. Mine has been rattling since the first ten swings. 1,500+ hits later and it's a rocket launcher. IMO, there's no better team bat. We pass it around and use it down to the 30 degrees during fall ball.

NumberEleven

Addicted to Softballfans
Wait till the scn9 and the scn5 start clicking and sound like a shotgun, you won't swing anything else till they break, which won't be for a long time

KDEflyers

Addicted to Softballfans
Nice work but none of them look like they are broken in to me.

Keep the Recoil and SCN9. Sell the rest and buy a net for dad :D

ball go far

Addicted to Softballfans
scn5 will be hot as hell once broken in
the scn9 have a bit more endload do to the easton endloading of that model

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans
scn5 will be hot as hell once broken in
the scn9 have a bit more endload do to the easton endloading of that model

I could feel the scn5 breaking in as I was swinging it from beginning to end.....that bat feels like it could have the most potential of them all IMO. the may98 feels like it could be a beast as well.

For some reason I did a balance point measurement with the scn9 and scn5....and the scn9 is more balanced than the scn5..

bmurph

Addicted to Softballfans
:rolleyes:

Rattle means nothing. Mine has been rattling since the first ten swings. 1,500+ hits later and it's a rocket launcher. IMO, there's no better team bat. We pass it around and use it down to the 30 degrees during fall ball.

x2. i've had 2 that rattled after first 10 swings. made no difference tho, few thousand hits and its still going strong. i don't hesitate to let the team use it in fall ball either.

JGorms41

Addicted to Softballfans

mikens are known for their durability! my whole team swings my recoil. around 800 swings and the thing isn't even broken in yet....
the recoil is definitely a gtg team bat.

bmurph

Addicted to Softballfans
meant to say this in my last post - great review here, its nice to see a comparison of so many high end bats used in one bp session. hopefully you continue working them all in keep us updated.

irishblood9

Stay Gold, Ponyboy!
Great review. I have owned all these bat except the Frenzy. All decent bats but in my experience when that SCN9 gets well broken in it will outhit the others. Were all the weights similar. If not do you think that may have played a role in your rankings