My Knees Hurt

KDEflyers

Addicted to Softballfans
I turn 50 in September. Having a great time playing senior ball this year. Though going from pitcher and getting pinch run for on my competetive regular teams to playing outfield and being the pinch runner on my senior team is taking a toll on my knees. Really going to have to make time to get to the gym and do some leg work & get a little more weight off if I'm gonna keep doing all this running around.

LT44

Addicted to Softballfans
Might also want to switch your shoes. If they break down it can cause knee pain. I have knee replacement and I go through shoes evry 9-12 months..../W

bigcat21

THE OFFICIAL SBF SALSERO
He's NOT old..., He's ancient.. LOL!!! j/k..:)
But for the knees start doing leg strengthening exercises in the gym.. weighted leg extensions, leg presses and spending more time on the cycling machines.. Good luck..:)

AZTOMC

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm having a knee replacement surgery within the next month. My goal is to be back for World's in Vegas in October. Any tips out there from knee replacement veterans?

wagon487

2016 Vegas Champs 60 Major
I'm having a knee replacement surgery within the next month. My goal is to be back for World's in Vegas in October. Any tips out there from knee replacement veterans?

don't even try and play in October, too soon....

LT44

Addicted to Softballfans

Tom, I had my left knee replaced in late Sept and started playing ball again in Mar. I was only 48 years old tho. I didn't have a problem running forward or backward as I started light jogging in Jan. It was the lateral movement that really took awhile. It was a good year before I ran without thinking about my knee. Almost ten years later, it was the best thing that happened to me. My balance and confidence soared. If you have questions let me know. Good luck.../W

Playr4

Coach
I had the same knee issues when I got back to playing after about a 8 year layoff. Switched my shoes to the 3n2 MoFo turf trainers. Made a world of difference. The shoe features a feather-light GLIDE midsole designed specifically for relieving knee and back pressure. Then there is prescription Diclofenac you take PRN. For arthritis. It reduces substance that cause pain or inflammation. Tried a few times, it works great.

Ken07

DeMarini/Wilson Sports Senior Pro
I have had 6 knee surgeries and no ACL in either knee...I don't run like you, but have found that riding OUTSIDE, (I don't get the same benefit from a gym bike) on fairly level terrain, with a road bike...for a half hour a day, made a tremendous difference in knee flexibility and movement and removed 80% of the pain I had. I think because you have to balance on a actual bike and I think the range of easy motion...5 days a week..is why it helped me. It is amazing what it did for me and at least worth a try. I saw a dramatic difference after the first week and was that much better after the second week. Worth a try. I don't know if it stimulates blood flow, or grinds out arthirits, but several others had similar experiences.

puckdropper

Addicted to Softballfans
I have arthritis in my left knee from 2 cartilage tears. I use Blu Emu for temporary relief and 2 Alieve be fore playing. I pitch during the week against the young guys and always get a runner ...but on my 60s team it is outfield and run for others too.

gobama

Manager
I had a partial knee replacement done 6-16-14. Its called Makoplasty--youtube and google it. I am walking pretty normal now and my leg strength is improving daily. I plan on playing in 3 weeks if it continues to improve like it has the last week. Find a hospital and ortho doc in your area who is doing the mako and see if you are a candidate