Myfitnesspal

joesmoe2012

Insane Dedication
Just started using this cause a guy at my work has lost over 100 lbs using it. Question I have is it says you burn roughly 600 calories playing softball for an hour. That seems kinda high. Does anyone have a better idea on how many calories you burn in an hour?

KangarooNokona

Kangabilly
I use mfp now but never track my exercise. I don't really believe the facts are accurate when it comes to the numbers. I doubt you burn that much though unless it's really hot and your playing OF and continuously running the bases for people. My guesstimate is roughly 300.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've heard some pretty high numbers as well. When I read those I assume they estimate it based on baseball.

bndawgs

President-Elect
the program thru my work, RedBrick Health says 419 calories per hour for my weight for (softball or baseball, fast or slow pitch)

chrismo4136

Addicted to Softballfans
I would guess around 300 calories max for an hour. It's a lot of stop and go. Softball is not as much of a work out in my opinion with all of the stop and go. It's better than nothing, but getting your heart rate up for an extended period of time with limited or no breaks is always going to result in more calories burned.

KootrNtrudr

Addicted to Softballfans
I would guess around 300 calories max for an hour. It's a lot of stop and go. Softball is not as much of a work out in my opinion with all of the stop and go. It's better than nothing, but getting your heart rate up for an extended period of time with limited or no breaks is always going to result in more calories burned.

Not always true. Studies have been shown that just 4-30 second full out sprints in one session burned 2x the amount of calories as 45 minutes of steady state cardio did.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Not always true. Studies have been shown that just 4-30 second full out sprints in one session burned 2x the amount of calories as 45 minutes of steady state cardio did.

^^^I have heard this...5 sets of 30 second all out (100%) sprints with 3 and a half minute rest in between.

Problem is in softball, no one is doing that. Inside the park HR should take no more then 20 seconds and that is not "all out" (slowing up around the bases, slowing up at home, stopping because someone dropped the ball, etc.) and even then one would need 5 of those in a game while not having the extended rest periods.

Agree with Kangaroo 300 calories/game max and even then I'd guess that would be in the OF with two others, chasing lots of hits in the gap and then having the same situation when it is time for you to hit.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
I add 400 calories per hour playing softball. Damn beer. Sometimes Im health conscious and go for the lower calorie substitute of powerade and vodka. Come to think of it I lose weight in the winter not playing softball, so there's the end of the argument. Not a workout

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^^I have heard this...5 sets of 30 second all out (100%) sprints with 3 and a half minute rest in between.

Problem is in softball, no one is doing that. Inside the park HR should take no more then 20 seconds and that is not "all out" (slowing up around the bases, slowing up at home, stopping because someone dropped the ball, etc.) and even then one would need 5 of those in a game while not having the extended rest periods.

Agree with Kangaroo 300 calories/game max and even then I'd guess that would be in the OF with two others, chasing lots of hits in the gap and then having the same situation when it is time for you to hit.

I think that might be about right for an average. Obviously catchers and corner IFers probably run the least with OFers running the most.

It's all relative, but you jog in and out, sprint on the bases if you get a hit, sprint for balls in the outfield, etc. As a pitcher, I backpedal pretty hard 2-3 steps every pitch, have to sprint as hard as I can to cover first at least 3 times a game, and presumably have to run the bases at least 2 since I bat last.

IF 4 full out sprints is more than 45 seconds of steady cardio I don't think that 400 is too high of an estimate. The hardest part of softball to me, is the changing of directions, and that's got to be harder than a sprint takeoff when you're slowing and starting back in the opposite direction.

jjgerard

The Rookie
It also has to do with how much you are actually moving around and how hard you are playing. That is probably an estimate based on a high active player. If you don't feel like you are then it probably isn't that high. A fitbit or something like it that tracks your steps can usually tell you a pretty accurate amount.

beaverjc

Paid SBF Entertainer
No way do you burn anything over 200 calories playing softball would be my guess. I was the elliptical this morning for 30 minutes at 7.5mph and burned 435 calories it said.

wcoastsoftball

No way do you burn anything over 200 calories playing softball would be my guess. I was the elliptical this morning for 30 minutes at 7.5mph and burned 435 calories it said.

Would be interesting to see. I hope I can find my polar watch and try it out. Steady state "cardio" will take longer to burn calories than stop-start sprinting. I would imagine a SS or OF that gets hit at a lot in a game and goes 5-5 at the plate could hit over that amount easily.
I wore the Polar in an ice hockey game once and it estimated I burned around 800-1000 cal. That was 12 minute periods, so maybe what, 18 minutes total of skating with line changes.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could I get that from just rollerblading? Dressing like a tool might be worth if it I could burn 1K calories in 18 minutes.

wcoastsoftball

Could I get that from just rollerblading? Dressing like a tool might be worth if it I could burn 1K calories in 18 minutes.

I would say that would equate to a steady state exercise as well. Unless of course you turned it into a simulated sprint game or did intervals.

Important to remember that watch is estimating based on heart rates, constant up and down HR with near or at max levels during hockey.

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans

References please as I believe that 4-30 second full sprints would probably burn about 80 calories (20 for each sprint)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/325564-how-many-calories-are-used-by-a-100m-sprinter/

"Calorie Burn

According to the running website Cool Running, a 125-pound individual burns just six calories running 100 meters. A 150-pound person will burn just one calorie more, at seven calories for the 100 meter distance. If you weigh 175 pounds you can expect to burn nine calories in a 100-meter sprint. At 200 pounds your calorie burn would be about 10 calories. The speed at which you run is not significant in terms of burning calories, notes Cool Running, what matters is the distance covered."

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
^^^I'll look too...I don't think I have any, just something we discussed in class one day. It had to be an "all-out" sprint (100%) which for a moderately trained individual I would think would have to be closer to 200-meters maybe??? I have to disagree with the "Cool Running" study though (or maybe not totally agree with it), can't the number of calories burned be increased by increasing exercise time or intensity?

beaverjc

Paid SBF Entertainer
Would be interesting to see. I hope I can find my polar watch and try it out. Steady state "cardio" will take longer to burn calories than stop-start sprinting. I would imagine a SS or OF that gets hit at a lot in a game and goes 5-5 at the plate could hit over that amount easily.
I wore the Polar in an ice hockey game once and it estimated I burned around 800-1000 cal. That was 12 minute periods, so maybe what, 18 minutes total of skating with line changes.

I wouldn't doubt burning that much in a hockey game at all. I come off the ice drenched in sweat after hockey. I don't think I have ever worked up a sweat in softball…ever.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say that would equate to a steady state exercise as well. Unless of course you turned it into a simulated sprint game or did intervals.

Important to remember that watch is estimating based on heart rates, constant up and down HR with near or at max levels during hockey.

I would do intervals, but everything is so flat in my neighborhood I don't get any natural ones. My achilles is tender so I'm trying to avoid running or anything like that, and a big old rollerblade boot is probably the best thing for that.

wcoastsoftball

Wanted to bring this back up. Was able to wear my Gear Fit on the field today. Will share the results, however accurate they may be? I don't know. I play first for 2 innings and third for 5. At the plate I hit a triple and two homers, so running the bases was not in the equation tonight for the most part, but the opponent surely lit up the thirdbase line.

Here is what it came out to for me at 6'1" approx. 220#...
Time: 1 hour 22 minutes
Distance: 1.37 miles
Calories burned: 161
Ave HR: 132
Max HR: 180

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
References please as I believe that 4-30 second full sprints would probably burn about 80 calories (20 for each sprint)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/325564-how-many-calories-are-used-by-a-100m-sprinter/

"Calorie Burn

According to the running website Cool Running, a 125-pound individual burns just six calories running 100 meters. A 150-pound person will burn just one calorie more, at seven calories for the 100 meter distance. If you weigh 175 pounds you can expect to burn nine calories in a 100-meter sprint. At 200 pounds your calorie burn would be about 10 calories. The speed at which you run is not significant in terms of burning calories, notes Cool Running, what matters is the distance covered."

Who can sprint 100 meters all at once? Does this include the alleged afterburn you're supposed to get by doing HIIT?

Wanted to bring this back up. Was able to wear my Gear Fit on the field today. Will share the results, however accurate they may be? I don't know. I play first for 2 innings and third for 5. At the plate I hit a triple and two homers, so running the bases was not in the equation tonight for the most part, but the opponent surely lit up the thirdbase line.

Here is what it came out to for me at 6'1" approx. 220#...
Time: 1 hour 22 minutes
Distance: 1.37 miles
Calories burned: 161
Ave HR: 132
Max HR: 180

180 was on the Triple I assume? Can you do it again and play LC or pitch? :D Tell them it's for science.

wcoastsoftball

Who can sprint 100 meters all at once? Does this include the alleged afterburn you're supposed to get by doing HIIT?

180 was on the Triple I assume? Can you do it again and play LC or pitch? :D Tell them it's for science.

Accuracy of the numbers is the question with this device. Would have much rather used the Polar watch, but I sold it last year. I refuse to play OF lol-too much running for me, wouldn't mind pitching though.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would run for days if I were as skinny as you. I hated it when I was younger, and now that it really sucks I really miss it. LOL

joesmoe2012

Insane Dedication
I played 5 games on sunday. I have been wearing my up24 in games. I played RC. Covered 8.5 miles in those 5 games.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I'm going to have to talk my wife into getting one of these things and then borrowing it.