Need Help Need help, sure this has been asked before....

spank13

Everyday I'm shufflin'...
... but I'm lazy and don't want to wade through the forum.

Agreed on a price ($40) for an item. I added the 3% and sent it paypal as goods ($41.20). Seller changes mind because of shipping and asks me to split shipping or give me info for a refund. I don't want to split shipping as I had an understanding that I negotiated price out the door previously. Seller refunded me $39.71.

Should I be out the fees because he changed his mind because of shipping? Couldn't he have just cancelled the transaction on his end?

I'm not going to blow this up over $1.50 but I just think it's lame. Opinion?

Joker

you should get a full refund, he should have used the refund option in paypal and not sent a separate payment. he owes you $1.49

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
isn't it a BB for the seller backing out after payment was made? And obv. he owes you the difference.

spank13

The seller has been fine in follow up and communication. I think the refund thing was just a gaffe not knowing how paypal works. He's going to refund the extra (I told him to just cancel both transactions) and all should be well.

Regarding the buyer beware tag, I'm not so sure. He was very communicative with his reasoning and offered fair solutions. In the end, neither he not I will be out much of anything.

jgerb88

MARK IT 0!!
It should be a BB bcuz he agreed to sell theres no changing ur mind after u agree to something no matter what the situation

It should be a BB bcuz he agreed to sell theres no changing ur mind after u agree to something no matter what the situation

Is the above statement a standard action?

We couldn't finalize the terms of our deal. In turn, I've posted a Buyer Beware thread to warn the other members of our inability to finalize the terms of our deal.

jgerb88

MARK IT 0!!
^^^^thats a different scenario u guys couldnt come to an agreement this guy came to an agreement with seller paid him then seller backed out even if he hadnt paid him imo once u agree to a price/deal its as good as a handshake to me its giving your word and a man who doesnt stay true to his isnt much of a man at all but thats just how i feel

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
Did he send the payment to you as goods, or a gift? If gift, file a dispute on the goods you sent him

:D Kidding.

Def a BB!!!!!!! And he owes you the difference. I know $1.50 isn't much, but if ya do that to 50 people.......

^^^^thats a different scenario u guys couldnt come to an agreement this guy came to an agreement with seller paid him then seller backed out even if he hadnt paid him imo once u agree to a price/deal its as good as a handshake to me its giving your word and a man who doesnt stay true to his isnt much of a man at all but thats just how i feel

A person can give the "I've got my word and I've got my balls..and I don't break neither for nobody" speech until he/she is blue in the face. These two people couldn't agree on shipping terms. The customer should receive a full refund and both people can move on with life.

I believe the original rule of thumb that this message board followed stated that "the deal isn't complete until both parties are happy". It seems that the seller isn't happy with the cost of shipping (offering to split the cost as an alternative). If the seller isn't aware of what shipping would be, it is a mistake on his part, but no reason to burn him at the stake.

jgerb88

MARK IT 0!!
i wasn't burning anybody at the stake hell idk who the user even is because he never said a name but the bottom line is the seller agreed to sell for $40 doesn't matter if it costs more to ship than you sold the item for thats the sellers responsibility to check that beforehand its not the buyers responsibility to pay half of shipping unless that was stated in the beginning so this IS a BB because its important that people know this guy HAS backed out of deals in the past.. personally thats enough for me not to deal with someone

spank13

Appreciate the feedback but I'm old school and with WTP on this so for now he'll remain anonymous as I don't think he had ****ty intentions...

bobber_1077

You know how many times sellers have changed their mind on me?
We agree to a price (I usually offer ABOVE asking as I am in Canada), they obviously see $$ and agree...and then when they ask for address, they come back and say they aren't shipping to Canada...
I ask why they thought I would make an offer above asking, and they just laugh it off...obviously the above asking offer is to compensate the little extra it costs...

Joker

You know how many times sellers have changed their mind on me?
We agree to a price (I usually offer ABOVE asking as I am in Canada), they obviously see $$ and agree...and then when they ask for address, they come back and say they aren't shipping to Canada...
I ask why they thought I would make an offer above asking, and they just laugh it off...obviously the above asking offer is to compensate the little extra it costs...

you should tell them you're in canada up front to solve that problem. yes i know your location says "north of the border", but people are stupid and unless it specifically says canada they have no clue

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
If you don't say anything about Canada in your offers, then yeah the seller can change his mind

bobber_1077

you should tell them you're in canada up front to solve that problem. yes i know your location says "north of the border", but people are stupid and unless it specifically says canada they have no clue

Fair enough...and my avatar pic with my kid in a Canada shirt, lol

If you don't say anything about Canada in your offers, then yeah the seller can change his mind

Why is that? I offer to pay more...they accepted my offer.
Would you scrap a deal if you thought a guy lived in the next state over, but in reality wanted it shipped across the country?

Joker

Fair enough...and my avatar pic with my kid in a Canada shirt, lol

Would you scrap a deal if you thought a guy lived in the next state over, but in reality wanted it shipped across the country?

because there is an extra cost and effort needed to ship to canada. i did it once and won't do it again. i don't have to fill out custom forms to ship to NY instead of KS or potentially have additional fees added if i don't fill out the forms correctly

johnny fitz

Addicted to Softballfans
because there is an extra cost and effort needed to ship to canada. i did it once and won't do it again. i don't have to fill out custom forms to ship to NY instead of KS or potentially have additional fees added if i don't fill out the forms correctly

Totally agree with this and I don't always check profile pics and location in avatars before saying yes to a deal... I shipped balls once and actually sold them for less than shipping cause it was my fault I didn't check.

p17

not even close to the same thing

bobber_1077

that is 120 pixels, i couldn't tell if he was wearing a canada shirt or a nwo wolfpac shirt

Hahaha.

Yah, but if I'm offering to pay the difference? And if a guy in the south will ship to NY, MI, ME, NH, VT, etc. In reality, the difference in shipping to those states vs me in Toronto isn't a lot. Only difference would be a little more paperwork...and it isn't a lot.

not even close to the same thing

Pretty close actually. You accept an offer based on thinking shipping was $xx, but in reality it is $xx+

Joker

Hahaha.

Yah, but if I'm offering to pay the difference? And if a guy in the south will ship to NY, MI, ME, NH, VT, etc. In reality, the difference in shipping to those states vs me in Toronto isn't a lot. Only difference would be a little more paperwork...and it isn't a lot.

Pretty close actually. You accept an offer based on thinking shipping was $xx, but in reality it is $xx+

i still won't do it, not worth the hassle. and its not even close to the same thing. like i said if you screw up how its declared additional fees can be added

Joker

i can usually ship a bat in the lower 48 anywhere from $7-15 depending on insured value and where its going. most of the time its $11-12. not a flat rate but its a fairly tight range

bobber_1077

i can usually ship a bat in the lower 48 anywhere from $7-15 depending on insured value and where its going. most of the time its $11-12. not a flat rate but its a fairly tight range

Yah, its probably $25 to me in Toronto from most places mid country-south...
But like I said, I usually offer about $10 or so above asking to ship to me.

But if people aren't willing to ship to Canada, that's cool too...

p17

i just think it would be common courtesy to tell a seller if they would have to ship out of country while a deal is being made, not after the price has been agreed to. but i'm a nice guy

bobber_1077

i just think it would be common courtesy to tell a seller if they would have to ship out of country while a deal is being made, not after the price has been agreed to. but i'm a nice guy

Oh, so people assume that I'm a super nice guy if I offer $200 shipped for a bat when their asking price is $185-$190 shipped?