Need logo for custom shoe business

pluggerjr26

The WISEGUYS #26
Looking to get some quotes on logo creation for a custom shoe business Ive started. Lemme know price and turn around time. Thanks

sjury

The Old Man
If you are starting a business, the best way to go about it is to call a local graphic designer. Yes it will cost you a lot more, $500 to ??? thousands but they will be able to get you all the rights, trademarks, etc, to your businesses logo and all the stuff you would need for printing, advertising, etc.

pluggerjr26

The WISEGUYS #26
Ill look into it sjury. Trying to keep things cheap now until im a little more established. I believe I can trademark it later as long as I own the image or am I wrong about that?

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
If you are starting a business, the best way to go about it is to call a local graphic designer. Yes it will cost you a lot more, $500 to ??? thousands but they will be able to get you all the rights, trademarks, etc, to your businesses logo and all the stuff you would need for printing, advertising, etc.

and no one here can help? good > local

sjury

The Old Man
Two things....

First, if you poach a clip art or font, which 99.9% of the artists here do you cannot TM that logo, you don't own it. If you're going in that direction then it's better to spend the money now. Instead of identifying yourself, with a logo and then changing your identity. Who knows, you're doing custom shoes and they become the next Jordan's, then where are you at? I know a company that recently changed their logo after they received a letter to cease and desist with their logo as it resembled their trademarked one. So it can happen.

Second, good>local is idiotic. You trying to say that the guys on here are better then a graphic artist at a local studio or advertising firm, ok.. :rolleyes: I never said no one on here wasn't good, at what they do. I live in the land of 3two, THEM ,and Toad plus the guys at SnL, so I have local guys that can knock stuff out of the park as well. Plugger lives in Ohio, his neighbor could be Mojo. I always tell guys to go to Oakley as well. Trying to inform a brother, when did that become a sin?

Toad_1

I can't hit
Mr. Jury is spot on. If you're thinking this is going to be a long term venture and these footwear are going to be the next big thing, don't be frugal with your logo mark.

There are many design agencies that specialize in branding, which is where your direction should be. Aim for a reputable agency that is near your location. Why? If you'd like consultation and immediate influence on the progress of the design process it's necessary to be readily accessible. (You'll find that phone conversations, texts, emails, faxes, Skype, etc. are nice tools, but face to face direct contact is wayyyyyy better and highly responsive for both parties.)

Think of it this way: How much money is the NikeTM Swoosh worth? The SwingmanTM logo? Or the UnderArmourTM logo mark?

I'd say $500-$1000 for a great logo is REALY inexpensive and could have the potential to rake x-times the amount in return. If it brands well it will sell well--all retail possibilities besides the shoe.

Best advice. Do some serious research into possible design agencies that specialize in branding within a few hundred miles of your location. Give them a cold call and see if you can set up a meet and greet. Get to know them and their message before a choice is made. After all, this is a process and you may need there assistance from here on out, for as long as the product is in existence.

Toad_1

I can't hit
Forgot one thing: Make damn sure you do the research for whether you'd like a copyright, trademark or a registration. These are very particular in the law and will definitely influence output, sales and competitive infringements regarding imitation, duplication of imagery/stylistic cues.

pluggerjr26

The WISEGUYS #26
Thanks for the info guys. Im not actually making the shoes, simply do custom paint jobs/color alterations to start. Im checking names on the national trademark registry before deciding on a name. Have a few different options im working with. Again, thanks for any and all info!

Mikaka

My Dixie Wrecked
graphic designers who do corporate identity (read that as REAL graphic designers) > SBF graphic designers.

period.