Need your "expert" opinion

Triffe2157

I'm ready to invest the money on a really good glove, that will last and last and last...... With that said I'll customize it because its going to be my gamer for as long as it holds. I currently use a 12.5 trapeze style DeMarini . I play ss,middle,3rd, pitch, and occasionally OF. I feel like the length is decent but my glove is getting floppy and i cant have that.
I've narrowed down my choices to Wilson A2K/A2000 , Rawlings , S2N, or Vinci .
Please Help me with any and all opinions you may have.
Thank you in advance .

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
Forget s2n. Not even close to Wilson or rawlings. Vinci is solid. But since you're wanting to go the custom route Rawlings will probs be the best bet. There's a bunch if info on other threads here about patterns, leather etc.

Triffe2157

Forget s2n. Not even close to Wilson or rawlings. Vinci is solid. But since you're wanting to go the custom route Rawlings will probs be the best bet. There's a bunch if info on other threads here about patterns, leather etc.[/Q

Thank you! Kinda bummed to hear that about S2N, But i figured with how customizable they are but NO ONE uses them at any tournys around here in Tampa.

NYC

Swag on 100.
I'm ready to invest the money on a really good glove, that will last and last and last...... With that said I'll customize it because its going to be my gamer for as long as it holds. I currently use a 12.5 trapeze style DeMarini . I play ss,middle,3rd, pitch, and occasionally OF. I feel like the length is decent but my glove is getting floppy and i cant have that.
Thank you in advance .

I also always had traps in the past, I went with a custom rawlings pro3028 with a single post web. Great pattern, go through chad for a nice discount.

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
Thank you! Kinda bummed to hear that about S2N, But i figured with how customizable they are but NO ONE uses them at any tournys around here in Tampa.
I should add that I don't have any experience with them, but considering that you're open to rawlings and Wilson, and want a glove to end all gloves, I'd put money on you ultimately being happiest with Rawlings or Wilson.

Triffe2157

I also always had traps in the past, I went with a custom rawlings pro3028 with a single post web. Great pattern, go through chad for a nice discount.

i want to get away from the trap, I've had balls squeeze out the top and its annoying.Not sure if its the trap or because I flare it .Either way The single post has been in my thoughts as a better alternative.
I'm not familiar with "Chad"

jethrodub

Coach
I know you are looking to go custom, but I don't think you will find a better glove for the price and at a 12.5" then the SP125. Go find the pre-sale thread on here and order either a saddle tan, orange tan, or black one (or go crazy and order them all). The quality of the original run in orange tan was fantastic and I would expect these to be the same. Awesome pattern and size for any position on the softball field.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
It really would be like throwing darts blindfolded to make a recommendation based on the info given. The different patterns make same sized gloves play very differently. Post up some pics of your current glove. Also, I thought I knew what I liked until I started trying new gloves out. I'm really glad I didn't just stick with the 1st glove I tried. See if there's any local shops that have high end gloves and see what you think.

Party mafia

i want to get away from the trap, I've had balls squeeze out the top and its annoying.Not sure if its the trap or because I flare it .Either way The single post has been in my thoughts as a better alternative.
I'm not familiar with "Chad"
http://forums.softballfans.com/thre...ding-glove-pre-sale-thread-season-ii.1442630/

That is the sp125 version two of the glove. There is also a version 1 of the sp125 one brand new for $275 and one used for $245 in the selling section of this site.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
I play ss,middle,3rd, pitch, and occasionally OF.

Rawlings custom in a 12.5".....Pro3028, Pro504, ProJD8.

Rawlings custom in a 12.75"...Pro3029, Pro3039, ProJD9.

Wilson SP125 that the guys are telling you about, that just about scratches the surface!

Last edited:

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
Rawlings custom in a 12.5".....Pro3028, Pro504, ProJD8.

Rawlings custom in a 12.75"...Pro3029, Pro3039, ProJD9.

Wilson SP125 that the guys are telling you about, that just about scratches the surface! But every one of these models will give you a constant pee shiver sensation compared to that Demarini you've been using:D. That was terrible, sorry, I'm still floating:)

You forgot pro208, which would be my recommendation.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
What size batting glove do you wear (even if you don't wear one under your fielding glove)?

Regular or TIP (two in pinkie stall) grip?

Do you close your glove thumb to pinkie? Thumb to index? Somewhere in between?

And yes, pics of your old glove or even one with you holding a ball in the glove might help.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
It really would be like throwing darts blindfolded to make a recommendation based on the info given. The different patterns make same sized gloves play very differently. Post up some pics of your current glove. Also, I thought I knew what I liked until I started trying new gloves out. I'm really glad I didn't just stick with the 1st glove I tried. See if there's any local shops that have high end gloves and see what you think.

What size batting glove do you wear (even if you don't wear one under your fielding glove)?

Regular or TIP (two in pinkie stall) grip?

Do you close your glove thumb to pinkie? Thumb to index? Somewhere in between?

And yes, pics of your old glove or even one with you holding a ball in the glove might help.

Here we are throwing dollar signs at the OP and both the voices of reason show up! OP, listen to these two suggestions, best advice yet!

As far as getting away from your trap web, if you can’t decide, or your stuck picking 2 or 3 webs, go with a
H-web. If you don’t like your glove or decide to sell it for any reason, it’s probably the easiest to sell. Plus it’s just a great web for IF & OF.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Thank you in advance .

I have an S2N custom and its a nice glove for the price. I also have a Vinci that i've had for years and its still holding up.

I think it comes down to how much you play. I'm sure the Rawlings/Wilson customs will be better than the S2N, but you're looking at $100-175 more.

I play about 1-2 league nights a week and about a tourney a month and my S2N is still in great shape...so for a full custom, thats my pick...

If you don't mind shelling out the extra cash, the SBF customs are sweet...if i played IF i'd pick one up...Chad/Milocoman is the man and will hook you up...

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
maybe get to a local store and try a few things on.
I'd imagine theres a specialty store that has a bit more qnty than say a 'richards'
try em on, put your hand in and out, give em a good fist pound!!
be one with the glove!!
after this, I'll bet the glove will almost choose you.
Then, when you know what you like and what feels best - request a form from chad and do your thing with the custom.

This will let you see what patterns are long and narrow/wide/short and anything in between!!

Ya gotta remember theres a reason there are so many patterns - bc everyone likes something different!
Sure, we can all sit here and spout off our recommendations and of course thats helpful to a degree.
But I enjoyed gloves and didnt mind trading and buying and selling and buying until i knew what it was i liked.
It was a bit of work however, and if i didnt enjoy it a lot of the work could have been done by going and seeing what i dig.

Good luck and let us know what you choose!!

roxtc

Sounds like you do a lot more infield so I would recommend the PRO208 as well for an all rounder.

I feel like I can relate, my first real good glove was a Wilson A2000 JH32 12.5" Mod Trap and I don't feel like it lasted as well as I hoped. The thumb and pinky inserts were weaker than I'd like causing a lot of balls popping out, the mod trap never formed the pocket I had hoped for. The leather was super stiff at first and then it got really floppy. I don't remember a period where I truly enjoyed it and after 3 years, I got it relaced and got a web swap to an H web to get some more structural support and I had the thumb and pinky inserts replaced. I still didn't like it and had to give it away to a good friend.

I really have to say Rawlings' leather is a notch above Wilson and the construction of it, gives me the most confidence when stopping hard grounders and line drives.

I'm not a Wilson hater though, I find a lot of their patterns are fantastic. I recently got an A1K based on the KP92 and it's been breaking in so nice, it's damn near perfect for softball. If I could only have one glove for the rest of my life though, it'd be a Rawlings mainly because it feels like built to last and has a heft that inspires confidence I do not get with Rawlings or anything else I've tried.

MaverickAH

While I'm not personally familiar with S2N, a perusal of their website leads me to believe that their custom gloves are sourced from the same Taiwanese factory that a lot of other well thought of custom glove brands use. 44Pro....... Gloveworks....... Capire......... Pretty sure that they're all coming out of the same OEM. 44Pro & Gloveworks are cheaper for what I suspect is the same kip leather as the S2N but without having all of them in front of me, there's no way to say for sure. Depending on the exact level of customization you want, this is the way to go.

As far as the mainstream brands go, you're not going to get the same level of customization but you will get quality. You can get quality with the custom brands as well. The difference between the major brands & the others are not deal breaking to me.