New Flex

Tylerjf

Addicted to Softballfans
Anyone have reviews / experience for the new Anderson Flex metal bat?
Wondering how it performs.
Thank you.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
We are all waiting for Smarkley to post some reviews & comparisons between the new Flex slowpitch bat & old some Andersons (Nanotek, Pyrotech). Not sure I would ever pay the $200 price tag for a new bat with no history
JJ

Last edited:

single wally

Professional Amateur
If they can come up with something with the performance of the OG Nanotek and durability of the Pyrotech, it would be the greatest (ASA approved) one piece single wall metal...ever.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Yeah,
Pretty impossible to beat an OG Nanotek for one-piece singlewall leagues & if your league happens to use 52/300 softballs those Nano's will last forever! I just cannot see this new Flex being better than a Nano. My guess is that it might be up there with an Easton L9.0/Salvo Scandium one-piece or UW with slightly better durability.

I could be wrong but to date nobody has given this bat any kind of meaningful review or compared to any of the OG Andersons (or any other bat for that matter). If someone wants to give me one I'll gladly do a side by side comparison to an OG Nano, OG Pyro, Flextech, L9.0, Rip it REAP5, UW & some old school TPS Powerdomes/Ritch's Superior
JJ

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
Seeing as how the guy who designed the Nanos isn't designing Anderson bats anymore, I'd be at least skeptical that any new Anderson bat would hold a candle to the "older" ones.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I have swung (swang?) and compared most of the above in BP and game situations. The new Flex compares well to the Pyro,/Ignite series of bats. It swings light I would go up an ounce or two as its very balanced.I am not a fan of the big knob, like the small one much better. I have also suggested an end loaded option. Some bros that play in HB have bought them will have to ask them about distance, but the durability is good. for Nano comparison, lets just say there is an OG Nano in my bag for single wall senior.
As for price, $99 and dent is a waste in my mind and the Flex can be had new for under $199.I have not hit the Eastons, will try them when I get too...
Hope to have a review on the new line up on Facebook soon....

Last edited:

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Thanks Smarkley
Not sure I would say the Ignites were anywhere near as good as the older Pyrotechs, but I guess that is just my opinion. If the Flex is going to compare more along the lines of an Ignite I would rank it just below the new Easton 2015 salvo scandium singlewalls (formerly the L9.0's) & UW's for pop. Thing about those UW's is you can pick them up for $70 new with valid receipt. So if you buy 2 of them a few months apart you essentially are going to get 4 bats if you include the warranty returns for about $140 (pain in the ass to keep returning them but still cheaper in the long run for a bat with more pop)

Come on man, send me a demo 27 ouncer & I'll do some real testing on this bat (although you may not like the results). So far in the restricted one-piece singlewall world we got:
1) Nanotek ($80-$120 if you can find them)
2) Flextech/Pyrotech ($60-$100 if you can find them)
3) Easton Salvo Scandium/L9.0 ($160-$180)
4) UW ($70-$100)
5) Ignite/ New Flex ($50 for the Ignite, $199 for the Flex)

I guess time will tell how the Flex ranks in the upcoming years. Hopefully a certain someone will get back in the bat design game before then & blow away the competition once again (as he did with the Nano)
JJ

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I find you rating flawed EBJ. The Pyro/Ignite?Flex all hit and swing the same. To me the only advantage on a Pyro would be the anodized finish, and the new Flex has a flat painted finish the hold up better than the shinny Ignite. I have a 26 oz Flex Demo you can swing, txt me!

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
yeah,
This is just my opinion based on what's out there so far, can't really back anything up until I actually swing one of these new Flex bats. I will definitely text you about that demo. I'm still playing ASA singlewall 3 nights so I could get you a lot of useful info.

I will agree to disagree with you on the differences between the Flextech/Pyrotech & Ignite. I have used all 3 many many times & for my swing I hit the ball much harder & farther with an 2002 Flextech & OG 2003-2004 Pyrotech using both 44/375 & 52/300 softballs. I just don't hit the later model Pyro's (post 2008), KSP or Ignites nearly as well. That could very well be just me.
JJ

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
The later bats should actually hit slightly better as they have a better alloy, but like you I am influenced by my experience and am enamored with colors and graphics. I had a blue Flextech I loved and sold cheap, I kick myself in the ass now. I do have some Jacobys and the hit well for me but not in love w the graphics LOL.
Guys I know that do hit for power do like the Flex but say it swings light because it so balanced. Going up in weight helps but still no end load.
My fav metal bat was the Nano Omega, a great bat, two piece with a alloy Nano barrel and slight end load. Trying to get the new regime to do an end load Flex as my other gamers are RTs and a Demar Future. Kinda weird but I like slight end load even though I hit mostly to the right side.