New pitcher!

xjarcher

On the mound
I've been pitching for about 30 years. 6-12 mat ball and now UA mat ball. If the batters know you can throw a strike when you want to your odds are much improved. I generally throw a 12' strike first so if they are watching I'm up. After that I'll throw some spins and go high to see if they'll protect. I warn my SS and 3rd so they know it's going to be inside. Throwing strikes when you need to and protecting yourself are my priorities. I wear a mask just in case. I'm getting old and I'm already ugly, no need to make it worse. I'm teaching a kid how to pitch. He thought it was easy until he walked 6 guys on 18 pitches.:D

Terrordome666

Addicted to Softballfans
Control the depth of your pitches by increasing or decreasing the amount of spin you put on the ball during the release. If you are constantly short, just as you release the ball, put a little more spin on it. The wrist action of putting more spin on the ball will make it go a little further. If you are finding that your pitches are going too deep, take spin off.

The actual ball spinning has nothing to do with my advice, its the motion of putting spin on the ball that will help you adjust distances.

xjarcher

On the mound
Control the depth of your pitches by increasing or decreasing the amount of spin you put on the ball during the release. If you are constantly short, just as you release the ball, put a little more spin on it. The wrist action of putting more spin on the ball will make it go a little further. If you are finding that your pitches are going too deep, take spin off.

The actual ball spinning has nothing to do with my advice, its the motion of putting spin on the ball that will help you adjust distances.
This is going to confuse the guy. OP, you need to practice a consistent delivery and release before you start adding spin. Set up a mound and plate in your yard and get so you can throw strikes at will by doing the same thing all the time. Backspin or sidespin will mess with your location. Once you have developed some consistency THEN start playing with intentional spins. A good release release will have some spin but don't focus on trying to add or subtract any yet. There are better ways to add or subtract distance. Maybe I need to make a video :cool:

Joker

WiLD53CBWAninjas in case yo're wondering why i'm addressing this here, i stopped posting in threads due to the childlike nature of too many idiots in this forum...

no it's cause you're a crazy old coot who thinks he invented the "slider" for softball and knows better than MLB pitching coaches. you're a whiny ***** who was laughed off this forum. get ****ed

basilray

no it's cause you're a crazy old coot who thinks he invented the "slider" for softball and knows better than MLB pitching coaches. you're a whiny ***** who was laughed off this forum. get ****ed

I miss that thread...