"new standard" ASA overhyped?

freak98guy

Place Clever Title Here
For me personally it was more about hitting with something new. I had my SCN9 for a 5 years and hit really well with it, but then just wanted to move on. The Z2k im hitting with now just feels good and Im hitting further with it then I did with my SCN9. Im not one for taking a ton of BP so the "Hot out or Wrapper" was appealing to me and another reason I switched up.

Most likely the Z fits you better. It's odd but the slight differences in feel can make a pretty substantial difference in YOUR performance. If you swing with more confidence and can hit the sweetspot with more consistency, chances are you're also swinging a little harder as you're not really worried about hitting it just right. If you love the feel of one of the new standard bats, it will pay off very quickly. I think the hype is more predicated on that than actually performing better than the OG's.

usmcluberti

Banned User
I have tried several of the "new standard" asa bats now. None of them have wowed me. I have tried the Wanted asa, asa DB, Mercy, and Fu Dawg. None of them blew my socks off like all the overhyping retards on here claim.

That said, they do hit very nice, not saying they didn't/don't. Im just saying I think the new bats are WAYYYY overhyped, and my dumb ass fell for it. It is truly the indian not the arrow with bats. Any of the old school top tier bats hit just as good, sometimes better then the new bats. My Reap2 still outhits any of the new standard bats I've tried.

Sorry to burst ur bubble overhypers, hype on!!;)

:rolleyes:

csus04

Addicted to Softballfans
I wasn't that impressed with the derby boys and especially the triad but the j3a is for real, I can't see how anyone with any kind of power and skill level couldn't hit decent drives with this bat....

beak9

Addicted to Softballfans
With the new balls, I will take my J3a over the old OG ext I had. Dont get me wrong, I loved the OG ext (I was a ***** for the 2006 CNT+ series), but the J3a is absolutely stupid. The difference is the sweet spot.....which takes a second to find on the J3a. A decently trained monkey could find the sweet spot on an extended. JMHO...

getsideways

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with most of the 'Hype' around both the J3A and Mercy. They are excellent. But they DO NOT put to shame the OGs. They are simply on/near their level within 100 Swings.
Like i stated before the exception is the ball, 52. 300s come off the Demarinis better, Harder balls the OGs still win.

It seems like every manufacturer has its era,
Miken, Easton, Demarini were all pretty awesome Pre abi.
Easton mostly dominated Post ABI with the hard balls. With 1 or 2 bats from each other company being decent.
Then the Z era arrived (LOL) were they figured out how to make an average swinging guy able to hit the fence, but rarely go furthur.
And now new standard Demarini is winning.
Thats my take on it. I'm sure everyone has their own thoughts.

joesmoe2012

Insane Dedication
I've pretty much have moved most of my og's now. I've bought into the hype. Yes, these new bats seem to fit my swing well but I know side by side my Mercy was toe to toe with my og's. That's not a knock on the og's, it's just if your a bat hoarder like myself, having 20 og's doesn't allow for enough bp to break em all in. I will agree I've seen 2 guys in the last 2 games hit there first ever homeruns. Hype or no hype, it does build confidence.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most likely the Z fits you better. It's odd but the slight differences in feel can make a pretty substantial difference in YOUR performance. If you swing with more confidence and can hit the sweetspot with more consistency, chances are you're also swinging a little harder as you're not really worried about hitting it just right. If you love the feel of one of the new standard bats, it will pay off very quickly. I think the hype is more predicated on that than actually performing better than the OG's.

I crack up that you can apply this logic to him, but don't apply it to yourself and the OGs at the same time.

A few more things I'd like to add...

I've not seen anyone "hype" the new ASA bats up on durability. To bring that in as a factor in this thread is ridiculous.

An all association ASA Z2K isn't an ASA only bat. Having an ASA stamp, especially the old one, doesn't make it a new standard bat.

I'm glad this new stamp is opening people's eyes to properties. You can make a bat that hits 44s better and another that hits 52s better and they both pass the same standard because different materials have different properties and it's not just about wall thickness anymore.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
i have nothing to back this up but personal experience and talking with other players but alot of people were purchasing preabi bats that would eventually be hot and ditching them after they weren't performing after 2-300 hits. the flexs and ext seemed to break in earlier but some of them were logs for long periods of time. the last thing an industry wants is a person buying a bat and it not performing immediately or within a reasonable amount of time AND them lasting 2000 swings.

2000_328ci

Extra Hitter
All i know is that people are killing my izzy psycho and are putting down Miken NXTs they have been using for several seasons running.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
i have nothing to back this up but personal experience and talking with other players but alot of people were purchasing preabi bats that would eventually be hot and ditching them after they weren't performing after 2-300 hits. the flexs and ext seemed to break in earlier but some of them were logs for long periods of time. the last thing an industry wants is a person buying a bat and it not performing immediately or within a reasonable amount of time AND them lasting 2000 swings.

I agree with you. The thing I find strange is that all Eastons are like this, but their ASAs are generally thought (back in the day I mean, before all this mess started) to be the best, but their UTrip bats were very unpopular. Being hotter out of the wrapper made other brands more popular for UTrip, but it never seemed to work for ASA.

FAT JESUS

More than likely
I have tried several of the "new standard" asa bats now. None of them have wowed me. I have tried the Wanted asa, asa DB, Mercy, and Fu Dawg. None of them blew my socks off like all the overhyping retards on here claim.

That said, they do hit very nice, not saying they didn't/don't. Im just saying I think the new bats are WAYYYY overhyped, and my dumb ass fell for it. It is truly the indian not the arrow with bats. Any of the old school top tier bats hit just as good, sometimes better then the new bats. My Reap2 still outhits any of the new standard bats I've tried.

Sorry to burst ur bubble overhypers, hype on!!;)

Than you're doing it wrong, sorry.

kampy

Addicted to Softballfans
You are correct the 2013 Z2K is an all association with the reissue of the '13 ASA stamp. However the '14 Z2K will be an ASA only bat. Im preordering mine soon.

I crack up that you can apply this logic to him, but don't apply it to yourself and the OGs at the same time.

I've not seen anyone "hype" the new ASA bats up on durability. To bring that in as a factor in this thread is ridiculous.

An all association ASA Z2K isn't an ASA only bat. Having an ASA stamp, especially the old one, doesn't make it a new standard bat.

I'm glad this new stamp is opening people's eyes to properties. You can make a bat that hits 44s better and another that hits 52s better and they both pass the same standard because different materials have different properties and it's not just about wall thickness anymore.

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
i personally think a lot of hitting is a mind game that ppl play with themselves....I don't care if it is new standard hot out of the wrapper or old school 1k hits to break in I still haven't found that magical bat that adds the extra 47' I need to clear the fence

the new standard bats are great imo, j3a-mercy-dba-z2k, they are all good bats, I honestly think that a lot of guys put 50 hits on a bat and if they aren't dropping 300' shots in that timeframe they move on to the next hot/hyped bat, i know this bcus i've been guilty of it non-stop for the past 2-3 yrs

hitters are going to be hitters pretty much regardless of whether it is new standard or old standard bats

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm just throwing it in as a new v. old comparison. We are playing USSSA

You know the NXTs were just last year and UTrip didn't actually change anything but their stamp, right?

Almost everyone says the first new stamp Worths and Mikens are garbage. BTW, let us know how long that Izzy lasts.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
i personally think a lot of hitting is a mind game that ppl play with themselves....I don't care if it is new standard hot out of the wrapper or old school 1k hits to break in I still haven't found that magical bat that adds the extra 47' I need to clear the fence

the new standard bats are great imo, j3a-mercy-dba-z2k, they are all good bats, I honestly think that a lot of guys put 50 hits on a bat and if they aren't dropping 300' shots in that timeframe they move on to the next hot/hyped bat, i know this bcus i've been guilty of it non-stop for the past 2-3 yrs

hitters are going to be hitters pretty much regardless of whether it is new standard or old standard bats

Again, not a new standard bat.

I need to get my hands on a Mercy but my 400 hit ASA DB is as good as any EXT or Flex that I have swung. And I've pretty much played ASA only since the early 2000's.

And its the first Combat I have ever swung so I wouldn't say I'm biased. I prefer Easton's actually but I just can't put the DB down right now.

WE still hit 44/375. The cracking sound the DB makes is tremendously awesome.

i know this is an ASA thread, but i just broke out an old 2nd batch B1 Da bomb...i'm not a Combat guy, but i love that cracking sound. i've been using this as my gamer.

freak98guy

Place Clever Title Here

You seem to be confused and/or focusing on a minute detail. I feel that a fully broke in OG will perform slightly better than the new ASA only bats. It's also possible that one of these OG's fits my swing better than any new ASA only bat that I've used to date. Hence the "FWIW & IMO". That being said, I do not discount the fact that many of these new bats are very good and do perform very well with little break in. Also, durability is a valid discussion in this thread for anyone still using .44/375's.

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
You seem to be confused and/or focusing on a minute detail. I feel that a fully broke in OG will perform slightly better than the new ASA only bats. It's also possible that one of these OG's fits my swing better than any new ASA only bat that I've used to date. Hence the "FWIW & IMO". That being said, I do not discount the fact that many of these new bats are very good and do perform very well with little break in. Also, durability is a valid discussion in this thread for anyone still using .44/375's.

You're obviously confused.

1. You can feel what you want, but to tell someone that the reason the "new" bat hits better for them is because it fits their swing better then to turn around and say the OG's are hotter because you hit better with them is asinine.

2. Durability is not a valid discussion. If you get 800-1000 hits out of an ASA Wanted that takes 100 to break in; you're getting the absolute max performance for 700-900 swings. On the other hand, if it takes 1,000 swings to reach absolute maximum performance (on par or better than the new bats is irrelevant in this particular matter), but breaks at 1,800-2,000, your net worth of maximum performance is the same. The OG user just had to swing a log for 1k swings before it hit it's potential.

I realize these are estimates as some OG's will last for thousands of cuts, but the same holds true for the new ASA's. There are many of the new stamp ASA's approaching and surpassing 1k hits... especially with the new balls. So it's not an exact science, but my logic is solid.

freak98guy

Place Clever Title Here
You're obviously confused.

1. You can feel what you want, but to tell someone that the reason the "new" bat hits better for them is because it fits their swing better then to turn around and say the OG's are hotter because you hit better with them is asinine.

2. Durability is not a valid discussion. If you get 800-1000 hits out of an ASA Wanted that takes 100 to break in; you're getting the absolute max performance for 700-900 swings. On the other hand, if it takes 1,000 swings to reach absolute maximum performance (on par or better than the new bats is irrelevant in this particular matter), but breaks at 1,800-2,000, your net worth of maximum performance is the same. The OG user just had to swing a log for 1k swings before it hit it's potential.

I realize these are estimates as some OG's will last for thousands of cuts, but the same holds true for the new ASA's. There are many of the new stamp ASA's approaching and surpassing 1k hits... especially with the new balls. So it's not an exact science, but my logic is solid.

Ok so you don't get what I'm saying or you are one of those " I have to be right so I'll take what you said and twist it until I'm right" guys. Noted.

Please reread my post and then take a deep breath. I am not claiming that any or all OG's are better. I'm stating IMO(in my opinion if that confuses you) I feel that my OG performs better than any new ASA only bat that I've used on .52/300's and .44/375's. I also spoke about how I like at least 1 of the new ASA only bats and that it performed very well in a short period of break in time.

Also, IMO (see above) durability is a valid concern with these new bats. I have an L4 that has either a crack or a spiral starting. It's probably seen 40-50 beat up BP balls and 10 game swings using .44/375's, all in 70 degree + weather. If I continue to use it on .44 balls I'd venture to guess its not gonna make it to 1000 swings ;). On the other hand, I can use my OG with either ball and not worry about it.

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Ok so you don't get what I'm saying or you are one of those " I have to be right so I'll take what you said and twist it until I'm right" guys. Noted.

Please reread my post and then take a deep breath. I am not claiming that any or all OG's are better. I'm stating IMO(in my opinion if that confuses you) I feel that my OG performs better than any new ASA only bat that I've used on .52/300's and .44/375's. I also spoke about how I like at least 1 of the new ASA only bats and that it performed very well in a short period of break in time.

Also, IMO (see above) durability is a valid concern with these new bats. I have an L4 that has either a crack or a spiral starting. It's probably seen 40-50 beat up BP balls and 10 game swings using .44/375's, all in 70 degree + weather. If I continue to use it on .44 balls I'd venture to guess its not gonna make it to 1000 swings ;). On the other hand, I can use my OG with either ball and not worry about it.

All I read was "IMO", "IMO", and "I'd venture to guess".

So the point of your post was to tell everyone your feelings as opposed to debating the merits of the new ASA bat hype, which is what the thread was about originally. My mistake, I thought you were speaking with some legitimacy.

I'm happy that you're happy with your OGs. Carry on.

Waggs

Addicted to Softballfans
J3A has earned its hype. There are some duds out there and if the one you try is not amazing than get another. I can take an entire bp with any balls using vast variety of broke in bats. Senior included and I end with 3-5 swings with J3A and always hit my farthest ball of the day. The J3A is the new Voltage and is just a little better than most bats in most players hands. When a whole team swings a J3A there is a noticable improvement in there ability to score runs. Voltage is only other bat besides Ultra 's that I have seen make such a difference. Many leagues using 44/375's still, will probably ban it eventually. Around here well broke in OG's that have been gamers for years are being left in bags for J3A.