New USSSA HR rules

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Just announced at the National Convention. New home run rules forA, B, C, D and E.
A goes from 8 to 10
B goes from 6 to 8
C goes to 5 with over the limit being outs
D goes to 3, over the limit is inning ending
E gets 1 with inning ending after that.

No changes to Major at 16 and I can't even find what AA limit was, it is now 12.

blakcherry329

Why not make it one an inning or, at least, make the HRs DBOs instead of inning ending.

What is the point of No HRs, or 1 now? Can someone splain that to me?

westtexas

"Godfather"
Here in our part of Wext Texas E was played first HR was inning ending offensive ejection second was forfeit...Sure lowered the number of E teams...Made lot bigger D tourneys

Redsfan

Why not make it one an inning or, at least, make the HRs DBOs instead of inning ending.

What is the point of No HRs, or 1 now? Can someone splain that to me?

Maybe they are trying to get all the sandbaggers out of E. Way to many people playing E that shouldn't be. No incentive to move up if you can still hit HR's in D and E.

Country469

They dont care about that at all, just # of teams playing. Until sandbagging, shaved bats, hot ball, etc make an impact on the bottom line why would they? Its like expecting a bartender to cut you off once you got a little buzz just in case something came up later where you needed to drive.

Redsfan

I just know around here you can't hardly find a C or higher tourney but they have D and E's every weekend. I play with and against some pretty good players. Many should be playing C or better but they choose to play E instead. SMH.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
E teams could buy one less jersey/pant/hoodie/armsleeve/bat/hat/boombox/WhiteClaw/etc. and afford to play C.

In reality though.if players were classed appropriately C would be more local instead of regional.

Country469

There should be a bell curve with C being the fullest, in the middle, yes.

I reality though, just too many classes.

Upper, Lower, and conference are all you need.

C teams of today should be A teams, with the conference limited to 32 spots for pro teams

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I can only imagine the amount of bitching and ***** assery one home run in E will bring now.

The little sallies fighting over who gets to blow one out with their 25 oz bats and boowhoop it.

FFS

I agree. Guys fighting for that 1 bomb. Gonna be intense.

SwingTheD206

They should just get rid of D and E world's all together, just keep those two classes local. 3 HR's in D is never going to grow C and B. That was an awful decision.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Compared to what? It was offensive ejection two years ago wasn't it?
Correct, I umpired E Worlds in 2017 and it was 0, IE and OE. Changed the finals when the team that lost the flip had their clean up guy hit one out with two guys on in the first, then came up twice more for outs.

They should just get rid of D and E world's all together, just keep those two classes local. 3 HR's in D is never going to grow C and B. That was an awful decision.
I've said this for years, have E be state only, D be nationals only and worlds for C and above.

Blackcherry, the point of E when it started was to give the league guys a taste of competitive softball with less of a learning curve. It was meant more as a one to two year thing than somewhere that teams should stay for 10+ years. I had a team at E nationals this year that was going to Worlds for the fifth straight year in E.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
People aren't going to move up for homeruns, and quite frankly, i have no intention of moving up until they do something about the bats and the balls. I'm probably going to quit the game before this most recent change even takes effect.

I want to be an advocate for the game. I used to try and bring out new people all year long, but i haven't in years now. This current game is so stupid i won't ask anyone to play it because there is too high of a chance they'll get hurt (by the equipment, not just sprains and strains which was already high for new people), or they'll see a fight first time out or something like that. I'm not putting my name on that anymore.

I'll keep playing till i can't, but I'm not bringing in new people until utrip even makes the slightest effort to care about anyone but their sponsors sales. I wish there was asa here so I'd at least know if they're like that now too.

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
People aren't going to move up for homeruns, and quite frankly, i have no intention of moving up until they do something about the bats and the balls. I'm probably going to quit the game before this most recent change even takes effect.

I want to be an advocate for the game. I used to try and bring out new people all year long, but i haven't in years now. This current game is so stupid i won't ask anyone to play it because there is too high of a chance they'll get hurt (by the equipment, not just sprains and strains which was already high for new people), or they'll see a fight first time out or something like that. I'm not putting my name on that anymore.

I'll keep playing till i can't, but I'm not bringing in new purple until utrip even makes the slightest effort to care about anyone but their sponsors sales. I wish there was asa here so I'd at least know if they're like that now roo.

I agree. Rather than tackling the real problem (bats that are too hot) USSSA has simply given each class more HRs. There's very little emphasis anymore on actual skill when hitting a softball. All one has to do is swing hard with today's wonder sticks and let the bat do all the work.

In CO people whine a lot about DBOs and inning ending outs. It wouldn't be such a problem if HRs were harder to hit. The bats need to be deadened SIGNIFICANTLY. I'm talking probably something like 300 PSI as a minimum. Going from 220 to 240 isn't going to change a thing.

mvfjet

Part Time Player
I agree. Rather than tackling the real problem (bats that are too hot) USSSA has simply given each class more HRs. There's very little emphasis anymore on actual skill when hitting a softball. All one has to do is swing hard with today's wonder sticks and let the bat do all the work.

In CO people whine a lot about DBOs and inning ending outs. It wouldn't be such a problem if HRs were harder to hit. The bats need to be deadened SIGNIFICANTLY. I'm talking probably something like 300 PSI as a minimum. Going from 220 to 240 isn't going to change a thing.

It definitely won't do anything when a guy can just go do another 200 swings of BP to get the bat just as hot for tournaments or league where they don't test.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

Our numbers are all better, but it felt so much more satisfying when you did crush a ball back when you had to swing hard every swing. When it meant something to hit a ball through the six hole so hard neither defender moved. Now that happens on most grounders. Simultaneously, i saw way more ranging plays made in the hole before the bats got so hot.