Newbie question about removing ink

bird25

34/30 Club #25
picked this up and the previous owner sharpied over their name.

Any way to safely remove it it should I just figure on adding a patch or dyeing the strip to match the black sharpie?

[GALLERY=media, 27411]IMG_0049 by bird25 posted Apr 28, 2017 at 8:25 PM[/GALLERY]

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Sharpie ink is essentially the same thing as leather dye. Many have tried, but I have never seen it removed even sort of successfully.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
Sharpie ink is essentially the same thing as leather dye. Many have tried, but I have never seen it removed even sort of successfully.

So just sharpie the rest of the strip if I want it all to match?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Oh man, you could, but I cannot promise the result will an improvement (might be hard to get the dye even). You are probably better off getting some Fiebings leather dye. If you do, you'll have to remove the laces around the perimeter, deglaze the leather so that the dye will soak in evenly, and thenonce you start the dyr process, do the edges VERY carefully with a Q-tip. If you let ANY of the dye hit one of the adjoining pieces of leather, you'll end up doing the entire glove. Then you really need to hit it with Eco-Flo Satin Shene sealer so you won't have the dye rub off onto other things (and do like 3-4 coats of it).

Here is a good description of what you are in for:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Dye-Your-Shoes-or-other-leather-goods/

David the Gnome

The Veteran
Learn to live with it being there or cover it up with a patch, those are pretty much your options. Because of where it's located, covering it with a patch will be difficult unless you can find a place to let you custom order a patch in the exact dimensions you need.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
Learn to live with it being there or cover it up with a patch, those are pretty much your options. Because of where it's located, covering it with a patch will be difficult unless you can find a place to let you custom order a patch in the exact dimensions you need.

This is what I figured. I picked it up to use it so no big deal. If I decide to relace it then I might try rous process above.

Thanks very much for the help

DatDuke

You can use white fonts on it, a word that mean something to you. it will look like a black patch.