Newbreed is underrated

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I'll preface this by saying I'm not a Demarini guy. I haven't really swung any of their bats lately, and never developed a feel for them.

That said, I like the Newbreed.... a lot. I won this bat at USSSA military worlds last year. Since it was 28 oz I decided to hold on to it and swing it. The more I use this bat, the more I like it.

It swings balanced. At 28 oz, it feels closer to 27. The barrel comes through the zone lighting fast since there's no endload. Pop is absolutely there too. I've already hit a few impressive shots with the Newbreed. All the hits I have on the bat have been with C+ balls, and it hits .52s very well. The Newbreed only took a few swings to get going. Even out of the wrapper it seemed to perform well. The barrel is responsive.

The handle (metal) is very stiff, which is rare for Demarinis. Usually I hate the flexy composite handle their bats have. For only being a 12" barrel, the sweetspot is fairly forgiving and not at all hard to find.

I never heard much about this bat, and saw very few people swinging them. I guess my point is, the Newbreed is underrated, and worth a look for guys who want a short barrel, balanced bat. This thing hits balls surprisingly far/hard and doesn't have the usual mushy Demarini feel. I can't really compare it to a Miken or Worth. The Newbreed has a unique feel.

chile

Bad Ape
The handle (metal) is very stiff, which is rare for Demarinis. Usually I hate the flexy composite handle their bats have. For only being a 12" barrel, the sweetspot is fairly forgiving and not at all hard to find...

all the znx alloy handles are stiff...if you like the NB, the fulk is a bit better with the EL.

dunkky

i got this on a trade. haven't swung at it other than a couple of dry swing and i don't play utrip much. it does feel lighter than typical 27 i swing and didn't care for it much since i am not a balanced bat guy. Now that you say it performs very good, perhaps i should start swing it now. how many swings does it take with 52s for it to open up?

if i don't feel it, i might trade it for 18 juggy since it is endloaded bat.

ShortYellowBus

I bp this bat occasionally but tend to get the harder balls out.

@TWmccoy is absolutely correct in his assessment. But for my swing, this won’t be a homerun bat. There’s better bats out there for me.

Out of the wrapper the NB did not do too well with 52’s. And I understand the argument that it shouldn’t, but it’s a great bit of difference between an out of wrapper Miken/Worth's vs the other guys.

With 30 swings with the hard balls, it’s now hitting 52’s better. The barrel has about 80 swings total and it’s getting better, but not quite gas yet.

I’ll throw another 40 swings on it and I’ll try to get a bp video out.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
i got this on a trade. haven't swung at it other than a couple of dry swing and i don't play utrip much. it does feel lighter than typical 27 i swing and didn't care for it much since i am not a balanced bat guy. Now that you say it performs very good, perhaps i should start swing it now. how many swings does it take with 52s for it to open up?

if i don't feel it, i might trade it for 18 juggy since it is endloaded bat.

I figure it'll take less than 50 swings to open up, even with .52s. The Newbreed doesn't seem to be like an old Easton, which would take half a year to open up with .52s. I probably have 25 swings on mine. The first few felt a bit stiff, but the bat seems to be fully broken in. The Newbreed is NOT a bat I'd mindlessly BP for thousands of swings. I think its made to be a gamer pretty much right away.

I prefer endloaded bats, but I don't mind mixing some balanced in every now and then. The Newbreed is easy/fun to swing, and it has plenty of pop.

dunkky

it's interesting you brought that up. it doesn't screw you up with timing switching between balanced and endloaded?

for me i think it does, cuz i am going from sledge hammer type of endload to a totally balanced bat vice-versa. it does seem to be messing up my timing.... OR it's all in my head..

bird25

34/30 Club #25
all the znx alloy handles are stiff...if you like the NB, the fulk is a bit better with the EL.

I’ve been swinging my buddies 30 newbreed in BP and like it just as much as the DB44.

Haven’t unwrapped my 28 as of yet. The 30 has a nice EL in my opinion

bird25

34/30 Club #25
As far as being underrated, I think that those who swing them know what the Demars can do but most don’t give them a chance.

Remember back when the LC legend was sold extra cheap all of a sudden everyone wanted them, similar to the ST100 when they dropped in price. Great bats but people didn’t pay full price unless the bat says Miken on it

lakeyale13

Manager
I’ve been swinging my buddies 30 newbreed in BP and like it just as much as the DB44.

Haven’t unwrapped my 28 as of yet. The 30 has a nice EL in my opinion

It is interesting how it seems in today's USSSA world, that there is a change in the market place. 6 years ago you wouldn't dare swing a Demarini. It would be like taking a knife to a gun fight.

Now, after taking multiple live rounds with my WFF and DC-41, I would game hands down with my DB44 over both of those bats. All three of them perform amazing and no real significant difference between the three, but the Demarini DB44 just fits my swing. Beautiful bat.

Also, I don't understand what all the hubbub is surrounding the handle and feedback. I don't feel any discernible difference in the feedback from a mi**** with my WFF or DC-41 over the DB44. None of them feel good when you mi**** them, but none significantly worse than another.

THESHOE

Starting Player
I have the 19 Fulk - Which is the continuation of the NB.

They are good, but to get them to perform and get closer to pass/fail line barrel wise - They need a fair amount of work with 40/44cor balls.

I keep bringing this up because locally if the bat is no good quick with 52 quick it loses any chance of selling. Most people's BP stash of balls are recycled found game ball 52s. So if they BP steady and the bat still doesn't hit like a FireFlex or Miken/Worth people give up.

My Fulk has reached a next gear and now outperforms my well hit 18 & 19 Juggy. Especially on the 52cor ball. Softer barrel is the reason.

My Juggys absolutely crush 40/44 but still suck with 52 compared to my Fulk and Black OG Nautalais.

Nautalais have proven to be the bat that about 10 hits on it with 52s and it's already stupid good. BP with them is a waste though. (Hence why I have the other 3 bats - Juggys and Fulk - I beat into)

FireFlex tech, Nautalai tech and the Miken/Worth lines have proven to be the ones to work in and perform best with 52cor balls and required Utrip stamp up here. Others take BP with batches of 40/44cor balls to open up and still sometimes just don't quite piece the 52s the same way. I am seeing this to be the case with the Juggys. And trust me, no one wants a good 52cor smashing Utrip Juggy more than me. Trying to keep working on them, but the barrels seem stubborn.

Overall, I am really beginning to like the 19 Fulk - This is the frame they need to convert to a Nautalai next. Get me a 12" EL Continous Fiber tech bat asap. CL22 anyone?

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
it's interesting you brought that up. it doesn't screw you up with timing switching between balanced and endloaded?

for me i think it does, cuz i am going from sledge hammer type of endload to a totally balanced bat vice-versa. it does seem to be messing up my timing.... OR it's all in my head..

For some reason, I can switch between endload and balanced all day long and not notice a problem. That said, if I'm going for precision hits (like an oppo single) I prefer a balanced bat. I feel like balance bats offer better control. For sheer distance I still prefer endloads. The Newbreed will keep up with any bat I own though, in terms of distance.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
As far as being underrated, I think that those who swing them know what the Demars can do but most don’t give them a chance.

Remember back when the LC legend was sold extra cheap all of a sudden everyone wanted them, similar to the ST100 when they dropped in price. Great bats but people didn’t pay full price unless the bat says Miken on it

You could be right. Like I said, I haven't been swinging any Demarini lately, so I don't really know what's out there. Last Demarini I swung and liked was the Sunday Swagger. All the J3s or whatever I hated because they had that flexy composite handle.

SwingTheD206

It is interesting how it seems in today's USSSA world, that there is a change in the market place. 6 years ago you wouldn't dare swing a Demarini. It would be like taking a knife to a gun fight.
I don't know about this...6 years ago the Stadium CL22, Stadium 2.1, and Stadium Spec-One all released. Some people also still had the ability to swing the Cartel, Stadium, J2U, and RD28U too.

lakeyale13

Manager
I don't know about this...6 years ago the Stadium CL22, Stadium 2.1, and Stadium Spec-One all released. Some people also still had the ability to swing the Cartel, Stadium, J2U, and RD28U too.

Then heck, it could have been longer. All that Demarini really had when I left the game was the EVO and Juggy's and The Juice. All three fair to midland, but nothing special. Today's stuff is SPECIAL.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Continuous Fiber Tech barrels will be their major game changer. They need to expand on this, add a 12" and maybe one with Comp handle for the slower speeds or those like me that like the golf club kick feel.

We saw and had serious Demarini lovers here in the Spec1/OG CL22 era.... Then they took away the 40cor ball and went to 52. While they hot one ball really well, they sucked compared to other bats with the 52. J2u was my choice then old stamp and 40cor. Had buddies with old stamp that were Cartel types. Stamp changed Black 13 CL22 was good with 40s. Even 52s not terrible, but...

OG Z2/Can Catty with serious work into the barrels became the top tier stick for those. The first 2pc DC41 changed the game and by 2015 if you didn't swing a Legit or DC/Freak 2pc you were indeed coming with a knife in a gun fight with the 52cor ball forced to use thumprint Utrip.

By 2017 everyone had something good with due BP in them.

2018 Easton and Demarini took some market share back. Demarini was basically absent here on the fields from 2014 to 2017. The first Newbreed had a bit of hype, but no one really ended up gaming it over green Helmer Flex.

You could be right. Like I said, I haven't been swinging any Demarini lately, so I don't really know what's out there. Last Demarini I swung and liked was the Sunday Swagger. All the J3s or whatever I hated because they had that flexy composite handle.

Last edited:

xdnine

Addicted to Softballfans
Been away from the game for a while. Just picked up a NIW NB for $85. From what I’ve been reading, it has a stiffer handle, is that right? I have the Stadium 2 (red/white) now but not really liking it. My team uses it more.

TRaj2327

I was going to say the same thing. 6 years ago, Easton was hot garbage and released the L and B series bats right after the ST100/100H and 100W, etc. of 2012. They would continue to struggle for years following. Worth/Miken were trash when they entered the new stamp game while DeMarini had it mostly figured out.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Been away from the game for a while. Just picked up a NIW NB for $85. From what I’ve been reading, it has a stiffer handle, is that right? I have the Stadium 2 (red/white) now but not really liking it. My team uses it more.

Newbreed handle is aluminum. Very stiff. I much prefer that to Demarini's usual flexy composite handles. It lets you feel the barrel better without a bunch of weird, muted handle feedback.

lakeyale13

Manager
Newbreed handle is aluminum. Very stiff. I much prefer that to Demarini's usual flexy composite handles. It lets you feel the barrel better without a bunch of weird, muted handle feedback.

I like the way you think TDub! The composite handle only feels weird if you miss hit it. The point is not to miss hit it. Judge a bat by how it feels with solid contact / is designed to be used. I prefer the composite handle too.