No bat grip??

GoldGlove4

Addicted to Softballfans
Anybody swing without any tape or grip? I like the feel but have never seen anybody in a game do this. Is it illegal? Obviously wood bats in the mlb don't have grips.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Every association requires grip tape that extends 10"-15" from the safety knob.

The only exception of which I'm aware is ASA, which requires only 6"-15" from the safety knob.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
Every association requires grip tape that extends 10"-15" from the safety knob.

The only exception of which I'm aware is ASA, which requires only 6"-15" from the safety knob.

don't mean to doubt you..... never seen Any league check bat grip. Most of my tourney friend s just drop a thin layer

Jroby9

The Kid
I only apply my grip high enough to either cover the part thats not painted as much or just to where the top of my hands would be. I hate the look of the whole handle being taped.

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^ he calls them like he sees them. Those damn Lizard Skins are long though, crying shame to waste any of that precious material.

Jordan9215

Star Player
don't mean to doubt you..... never seen Any league check bat grip. Most of my tourney friend s just drop a thin layer

Guy who ran a city league I used to play in (he also umped) he threw out one of out bats because the tape did not go up far enough.

This is the only time I've ever seen this.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I've swung bats with no grip or tape before. No one around here cares. I also don't tape my bats even 6". I use the overlap grip, So I probably tape about 4-5". Just enough to get the job done. I agree that having a big long grip on the bat looks stupid.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

We check them all the time, especially at States and DEFINITELY at Nationals. Just because your leagues had lazy umpires doesn't mean that it's not the rule.

And prior to the rule change, I've seen what some of you guys considered 10". Your ladies must be very disappointed. :p :D

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
A long grip looks stupid... really?? it's a bat with a grip. Who the eff sits around in a dugout laughing at Joe Shmoe who comes up to bat with a true 10" grip thinking his bat looks dumb? You know we aren't talking about pubes right? Long pubes are NGTG. But we're talking about a grip on a bat.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
i like to shorten my grips too. cause i only have two hands. the stock grips are enough for like 4 hands to hold onto and i aint down with that.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Gonna try it sometime cause get plenty of grip with my thin golf gloves, but what bout that damn sharp piece just above the knob, im reluctant to file it incase it has function

WarHorse

Star Player
Question: is it beneficial to remove the stock grip? I've had great control with Demarini grip but I do have a few rolls of lizard skins... Does it lighten the handle of the bat and give the bat more endload?

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Question: is it beneficial to remove the stock grip? I've had great control with Demarini grip but I do have a few rolls of lizard skins... Does it lighten the handle of the bat and give the bat more endload?

I think factory grips dampen the feel too much. With tape you get a better idea for how the bat really feels. Is this a big deal? Not really. I could leave the factory grips on and hit fine, but I just prefer tape. Plus it is thinner, yes. Some of those factory grips are really fat. No knobcuffs either. I don't like that big mushy thing down by the knob.

Jroby9

The Kid
A long grip looks stupid... really?? it's a bat with a grip. Who the eff sits around in a dugout laughing at Joe Shmoe who comes up to bat with a true 10" grip thinking his bat looks dumb? You know we aren't talking about pubes right? Long pubes are NGTG. But we're talking about a grip on a bat.

I couldn't care less about someone else's grip. I don't tape mine all the way up because I think it looks stupid and it serves no purpose but to waste all that tape or whatever you use.

& By the way, I keep the grass cut. She loves it that way. :thumb:

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
We check them all the time, especially at States and DEFINITELY at Nationals. Just because your leagues had lazy umpires doesn't mean that it's not the rule.

And prior to the rule change, I've seen what some of you guys considered 10". Your ladies must be very disappointed. :p :D

Playing ISA national this weekend.... Guarantee they won't check a bat for that. If they do...I'll pay pal you $10 that's a promise

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
Having a grip I understand, but why does it matter if the grip extends 4" or 10"? I use MAYBE 4" of grip and have no issues whatsoever. The bottom hand holds the bat.

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
I couldn't care less about someone else's grip. I don't tape mine all the way up because I think it looks stupid and it serves no purpose but to waste all that tape or whatever you use.

& By the way, I keep the grass cut. She loves it that way. :thumb:

So you are saying this is to much Lizard Skin?

1471287_765846450108650_482111227_n.jpg

Jroby9

The Kid
Yes ^^^ but if you like the way it looks go ahead with it.

The way I look at it, it's not a hockey stick your hands only cover a small section.
Plus like stated I personally prefer the look of more bat showing.