Noob pitching help please

Mross98

I need help badly! I've only been playing two seasons, the absolute lowest level of usssa, co-Ed Rex league and it's a company team. Problem is I'm the best player on the team and sort of manage it. Well I basically had to fire our pitcher and am stuck with the job. First couple times I pitched I was bad but not absolutely horrific, this last week was terrible, walks galore. I had and have been practicing the best I can but nothing feels natural, I try four finger together, right leg forward, left leg forward, step or no step, all feel really awkward. Today was the breaking point as I was throwing from thirty feet and hitting literally like 20% accuracy being generous. Nobody else can pitch on the team so it's all on me. What I'm looking for is something for an absolute beginner, tips, drills anything. Also tips for any bigger guys, I'm 6 ft 250 and a powerlifter, I kind of bump into my hips, lats or chest when I pitch which pushes it all over laterally. Thank you all in advance.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
I correlate pitching with bowling for some people. Follow straight through where you want the ball to go. Also make sure your hand is on the bottom of the ball. I see too many people try to throw with their hand on the side of the ball. Zero control that way.

jimrat201

Addicted to Softballfans
I correlate pitching with bowling for some people. Follow straight through where you want the ball to go. Also make sure your hand is on the bottom of the ball. I see too many people try to throw with their hand on the side of the ball. Zero control that way.

To me its like throwing horseshoes, for me I'm more accurate throwing with backspin. Take a step toward home, make sure you bend your knees and toss
[ame]https://youtu.be/VGtm0dHyCl4[/ame]

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Same there. All about the follow through.

And I seriously just watched that whole video for reasons unknown to man kind.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Repetition, repetition repitition

Get yourself 20 or so softballs same compression/core used in your league, make yourself a strike mat (can easily be made from cardboard), and throw 60 or so pitches (20 minutes) everyday from the regulation distance (not 30 ft). It might take a few months but you'll eventually get it down and it will get easier. I do this every now & then for a few days in a row if I haven't pitched in a while & it gets me back in the groove

Mentally record what u do every pitch and when u throw a strike just work on repeating that same motion. U do not want to do this in a game or in bp, but if u practice it solo you'll improve dramatically in no time

Rooster210

P-Pumpah #1
Nothing a couple of games of cornhole won't fix...just relax, if you need a better target than the plate talk to your catcher

Mross98

Yeah I Already bought a mat, I have 50 feet marked off in my backyard lol. I think the ball type makes a big difference. It really throws me off when I change from 12' to 11' and sprinkle in crap academy balls. Thanks for the tips guys. Treating it like horseshoes is a great idea. I think I don't bend at the waist to the side at all and it messes me up with all the lateral okay in my tosses.

texas-46

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't forget after pitch is released,Take a step back and glove up. Just because it's lower div doesn't mean the ball won't be hit at you,Always be ready.

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
Real answer. Bend your knees. And start your hand lower towards the ground. Same for cornhole. Your size doesn't matter. Your form does.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I correlate pitching with bowling

Yep - same type motion for slow-pitch - and the repeatability is like bowling as well...

Softball_How-To-Throw_Grip+on+ball.jpg

Look at where the fingers on the stitches are located in this picture - You'll notice that there is a horseshoe shape to those stitches closest to the pointing finger and the pinky finger has no stitches....

I like to reverse that ball position with the horseshoe opening toward the front (rather than the back) - This allows my pinky to also have a stitch to grip - and your thumb should cross over to the other seam, just like in the picture... That means that every finger and your thumb has a stitch to grip...

This is the best grip as a beginner pitcher... The idea, for now, is to minimize variation... Make your grip, arm motion and snap of your wrist as repeatable as possible... And pick the back point of homeplate as your target (to pitch beyond)... REPEATABILITY (of a strike) is your best skill as a beginner or seasoned pitcher...

Also click the link in my signature and read those additional ideas...

%%%

Last edited:

mustafa

The Great Fatbino
Less movement the better. Keep the back of one foot on the mound. Take one step as your releasing it. Make sure your planted footed is landing straight or pointing to the area where you want the ball going. Make sure your arm is staying straight. I'm also a power lifter so I had to lean a little bit so that I don't hit my hip. When I first started I used the four finger hold with the ball. Put your fingers on the curved part of the threads and your thumb on top of the ball. Practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
All great advice. The only thing I can add is don't try to steer the ball into the strike zone let it go in naturally. It probably will take a while to get the right ball release point but it will come. Usually when I get in trouble is when I start steering the ball.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
I don't aim, I just go from muscle memory. I learned when I first started pitching two years ago that aiming gets me in all sort of trouble. One thing I do play around with is leaning back vs. leaning forward when I pitch. Gives a different angle and release point to try and throw them off a little. I also will move laterally along the rubber for a slightly different angle as well. I'll take any advantage I can get, it's slow pitch. I practice using a mat as suggested above, but I have two and just pitch them back and forth. Just don't practice to the point where you're worn out. Try to keep the same timing between pitches as well, and maybe change it up a bit too. Again, another aspect of the game us pitchers can try to take advantage of.

killer mike

Addicted to Softballfans
All valid points. My only advice is to practice throwing a strike at will. My first pitch is always a dead on meat pitch for a strike. The next two are garbage but close enough to the plate to make them take a defensive swing. I can always throw a strike on my last pitch if need be. Their next at bat my strike pitch is on 2-1 count if they let the first pitch go.

Always assume the ball is going right back at you. Just because you throw a garbage pitch that looks unhitable, your mind shouldn't stray from putting your glove up and having your feet set.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
Always assume the ball is going right back at you. Just because you throw a garbage pitch that looks unhitable, your mind shouldn't stray from putting your glove up and having your feet set.

Truer words never spoken. My two worst hits were off pitches that were well off the strike zone. First one was a low outside pitch almost in the dirt and batter swung and lined one off my head just above my left eye. Most of the others were in BP with batters swinging at everything which is why I stopped pitching BP before games even after we went to screens.

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player
The issue I see most often with new pitchers is that they are holding the ball way to tight. Don't squeeze the ball, let it sit in your hand.

Secondly, don't be afraid to move around on the mound. If you are missing inside, pitch from the left edge of the rubber. If you are missing outside, move to the right edge.

BigGilly44

The Rookie
First off go buy a helmet. I wear a Worth Pitching helmet it helps. and always assume ppl are going middle. every pitch!

And honestly, do whatever you have to do to throw a strike. Form and style is personal. Look at MLB pitchers wind ups all different but they all throw strikes. Work back and forth on the rubber. in front or behind. work all the angles. High arch or flat. Pitch junk and keep the hitters as off timing as you can. BUT what was mentioned above. Practice practice practice because its underhand youll never throwa 3 hitter! But youd be surprised what a good pitcher can do for his defense.

Pitch BP, pitch alone and a mat, bucket or a glove. Pitch at regulation distance. Screw around and have fun. Just like baseball when you aim you miss. Just get your muscle memory done by practicing. Youll figure it out.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
The issue I see most often with new pitchers is that they are holding the ball way to tight. Don't squeeze the ball, let it sit in your hand.

Secondly, don't be afraid to move around on the mound. If you are missing inside, pitch from the left edge of the rubber. If you are missing outside, move to the right edge.

I always move towards the side I'm missing, similar to bowling

Mross98

Thanks for the tips, I've been practicing pretty religiously. Two main tips that have helped are trying to toss it like a horseshoe/cornhole and not squeezing the ball, the adding a bucket to try to hit helped a lot as well. I realize I was really gripping hard as I was getting more mad thinking I could control it better.

What do you all recommend with wrists. I have trouble duplicating the roll off my fingers every time. Some times it sticks in the palm, sometimes rolls off nice, I catch my self snapping my wrist and not snapping it. This leads to either plate hits or mat hits dependent on the wrist snap. As a beginner is it better to not use the wrist or go ahead and snap it off to begin with.

BeagleHound24

Starting Player
Id encourage you to gear up a bit first and foremost - buy a mask, cup, shin guards and even a padded shirt to wear under your jersey. Not only will keep your pretty face in one piece, you'll feel more confident playing defense out there.

*Assuming you are RH here
Throw backspin I find to be consistent I need to throw it with back spin, meaning my palm is facing down when I throw it. throwing with it facing up gives you top spin and less control. But alot of people prefer throwing palm up, I find I always go too deep.

Find a grip thats comfortable to you, personally I have small hands so I grip the seems with my fingers and let my thumb rest over the "hot dot" logo. Dont worry about knuckle balls, curves, spitballs until you have this down. I practice just sitting around and grip the ball and snap it out of my hand for that feeling.

Use the same motion, I start with my left leg back and my hands together in front of me. my left leg comes forward at the same time my right hand drops back to my hip. I then push off my right foot and release the ball just past my waist with a snap of my wrist to add spin and speed. I aim for 7-9 ft arc from about 18 paces (45 ft~)

Generally when Im warming up I try to focus on hitting it middle of the plate. Dont overthink it, its usually much more important to throw a strike and put him on defense then anything else especially in 1-1 ruleset.
Defense Be safe out there, as you finish your pitch, no matter where its going, get in a defensive posture. I usually have my glove up as I release the ball, it helps balance me anyway. Try to read the bat on weaker hitters and you can get a step that way to field a grounder

Direct traffic when a ball is in play. Read the play and act accordingly, on an outfield hit, try and backup either way. on any play to the plate, try to cover the backstop (without impeding the runner!)

Finally remember at most levels - pitching is at least 50% your defense behind you and 25% skill and probably 25% luck. try not getting too high when you have a good inning or too low when you have a bad one.

Old JB

Addicted to Softballfans
Pitching Advice For A Nooby

I usually tell beginning pitchers to not worry about the plate. Pick a target on the screen behind the plate and throw to it. Too many beginners become plate bound and tighten up (as mentioned before). At least here in California, we aim at a mat. Actually trying to drop it on the mat so throwing at the mat can be frustrating. Dropping it on the mat is, to me, a lot easier. The spot on the screen is lot like bowling, aim for a spot or board, don't worry about the pins.

Oh and practice a lot!

SandyWH

#Delicious
Don't lean sideways. You'll never have consistent control if you're leaning to the side. Try to keep your shoulders parallel to the ground.

Don't fully extend your arm. Either winding up or releasing. Locking out your elbow will cause your release points to vary.

Confidence. Throw every pitch like there's no way its not a beautiful pitch.

I personally don't like taking a step when I pitch. I feel like I lose the ability fully control speed and arch if I'm stepping into the pitch.

Not every pitcher is the same. Find what positioning feels comfortable. Glove foot forward / Throwing foot forward / Square to the plate / stepping off the side of the rubber

Gear up. Safety first.

There's a million ways to practice, but throwing BP will always be the best form of practice.

Mross98

Practice has been real rough but it's feeling more consistent with a backspin or reverse throw. It's a lot more effort to throw the ball but the consistency has improved.

p/t player

I would agree that a lot of it has to do with muscle memory, which means a lot of practice using the same movements. If you keeping switching your pitching motion up it will never get consistent. Also pick a motion that allows you to turn into a fielder easily.

Bubbadw

Addicted to Softballfans
I find it much easier at the beginning of the season to start off with pitching backspin. Getting the regular release from holding on top is easier for me than holding underhand.

blakcherry329

Pitch BP all the time. It's the best practice you can get. Practice practice practice(yeah, I'm talking about practice). Pitching, golf, bowling, horseshoes is all about repeating the same motion the same way every time. Same consistent motion. Learn to throw strikes, consistently, then work on different grips for a little movement.

Don't daydream after the pitch. Pitch, then get ready for the ball to come back at you...EVERY PITCH. Don't ever assume that the batter can't reach it or won't swing. That's when bad things can happen.

Josh L.

Extra Hitter
I found when pitching, if in practice I'm focused on aiming at small targets it produces better consistency that I can take to games when I'm more focused on timing between pitches and side to side movement rather than hitting a precise target over and over. Really good pitchers are putting different types of spin on the ball, but as pitcher just starting out you'll want to put a little more focus on just hitting strikes consistently. Bad pitches will come, bad games will come, just try not to get frustrated, it is a game after all. I will also say, there's such as thing as too much practice, especially if practice begins to lead to frustration and you're no longer benefiting yourself. I will also say when i first started pitching is was a loose environment in batting cages while taking BP, I decided to give it a try one night and started messing around emulating the better pitchers you see in the upper divisions at tournaments and we were all just laughing making fun of each other having a good time. learning to pitch in the middle of a game can be difficult, try and keep practice as loose and light as possible.

xjarcher

On the mound
Backspin is helping your consistency because of the increased effort and the fact that your release is the same every time. If you can duplicate that release consistency throwing the other way it will give you similar consistency. I've been at it for 20+ years and can use quite a few different deliveries. It takes time to do learn how to be consistent with them. Master the backspin and then start working on the forward delivery. If you can get both down cold this season you will find that both have their place. Some rec level hitters get all goofy when they see backspin. Really nice to pull that out on 2-2 after a couple of straight ones. If you have a practice set up at home throw a bunch of them at it every day. You'll get it in no time.