Now that they've been out for a while (a long while) does anyone still use a Jimmer stick??

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
Recently got to swing one of these at a BP session. Sadly I didn't swing it beforehand (I didn't know it was there) but I did after we were done. Then took some dry swings with my bat.

What does SBF's think of these?

swampdonkey1

Star Player
If you're not using it regularly or you're using too much weight that you can't swing with proper mechanics, i don't think it's helping you. I have a really heavy homemade jimmer stick but it's just for warming up before games. If you're able to use one regularly in BP, then you're going to see some really swing speed increases, but if you're using it once a month, i would think it's just going to hurt your mechanics.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it wasn't so expensive is probably have one but at almost twice the price of a thunder stick they're hard to justify.

mr_ripplepecs

Addicted to Softballfans
Bought one before the season this year. Was a hard adjustment at first, struggled with consistency/timing but when it all came together, I experienced my best year from a power stand point.

Smcfzr

Starting Player
I bought one a couple months ago and i love it. I feel like its actually helped my mechanics more than hurt em. I feel with the weight of it youre able to feel your swing more then with your normal bat weight. Yes i can see how it can hurt your mechanics at first but if your swing is pretty grooved in before than no it wont hurt em. Once your muscles adapt to swinging the jimmer youll notice a major difference. Ive noticed especially in my ground balls theyre now getting through before an infielder even has a chance to get to it. Ive also had more ground balls that are too hard to handle. I havent even put in the time with it that i really want too. I was skeptical aswell but it was money well spent i feel

bird25

34/30 Club #25
I absolutely love mine. Got the 5lb one and use it quite frequently when I take BP.

So how do you use it? Didn't see it on the website.

Also why is there such a huge difference in weights? 5 lbs then jumps to 18?

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
From my understanding you can just take swings and hit balls just like you normally would with a bat. About 10-15 swings then pick up your real bat

Beauner

Starting Player
So how do you use it? Didn't see it on the website.

Also why is there such a huge difference in weights? 5 lbs then jumps to 18?
I usually start with 10 swings on the Jimmer hitting live BP. Then switch to my gamer bat for the rest of the round for the first round.
Then I go back and take 10 swings on the Jimmer, then 15-20 swings with my gamer, then back to the Jimmer for 10 more. Then lather, rinse, repeat or the rest of the BP session.

The thing I like the most about it is you're actually hitting the ball, so you have to keep your swing path, your weight transfer, etc. You can't just swing it with all upper body like you'll see sometimes with guys using bat weights to get loose.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
I usually start with 10 swings on the Jimmer hitting live BP. Then switch to my gamer bat for the rest of the round for the first round.
Then I go back and take 10 swings on the Jimmer, then 15-20 swings with my gamer, then back to the Jimmer for 10 more. Then lather, rinse, repeat or the rest of the BP session.

The thing I like the most about it is you're actually hitting the ball, so you have to keep your swing path, your weight transfer, etc. You can't just swing it with all upper body like you'll see sometimes with guys using bat weights to get loose.
Thanks very much.

swampdonkey1

Star Player
It WILL teach you to swing with your entire body. You can't stop your swing short, you can't swing without using torso, hips, and lower body, and you have to focus on hitting the ball square. All important things that most softball players don't remember. It'll only help if you use it regularly in my opinion though.

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
OK, so I picked one of these up, $80 shipped.

When I got home I picked up my Fulk, took a few swings like I normally would. Wasn't hitting a ball, just acting like it. Then I swung the jim_mer stick 10 times, same thing. Like I normally was hitting a ball. Then back to my Fulk. My 27oz Fulk now weighed around 12 oz haha. You should have heard the "whoosh" I was getting on my swings after swinging the jim_mer.

I feel like it's going to increase my bat speed. Also like said above, I can see it helping teach wrist snapping mechanics. I can't wait to get a live BP session where I can actually hit some balls with it.

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes sir. 34" 5lb.

I couldn't imagine swinging one heavier lol. I feel like that would really hurt mechanics

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
Technically yes and no.........it's progressively weighted, and has a handle. So it feels like a seriously endloaded bat. The weight is in "stages" as it moves towards the end, with the majority of the weight at the end.