ASA Number of batters hit by pitcher

Speed Demon

Part Time Player
How many batters is a pitcher allowed to hit before that pitcher is removed from the game due to wildness? We had a pitcher hit 2 batters in a game yesterday and apparently she is known for plunking people since she throws gas. It's a 10U level ASA rules league.

csk415

Addicted to Softballfans
My kid hit 4 in one game. They crowded the plate on a screwball. Completely unintentional but risks of trying to take the inside out.

Calli4120

ASA Free Since 05
There could be a local rule depending on the level of 10u ball.

I coach 10u baseball and in our league if the pitcher hits 2 batters in an inning they are removed from that inning. If they hit 3 in a game they are done pitching for the game.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
There are local leagues around here that have a limit of batters hit per game/inning. I always tell the coaches to police that on their own and notify me if we get to that point.

I did have one coach in a 14u game (no such rule in that league) ask how many are allowed to be hit before I remove the pitcher (this was after the fourth hit batter). I said there was no limit. She seemed disappointed and walked away. I then took a moment and thought about it - it was her pitcher that was hitting the batters and she wanted ME to be the bad guy.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
There are local leagues around here that have a limit of batters hit per game/inning. I always tell the coaches to police that on their own and notify me if we get to that point.

I did have one coach in a 14u game (no such rule in that league) ask how many are allowed to be hit before I remove the pitcher (this was after the fourth hit batter). I said there was no limit. She seemed disappointed and walked away. I then took a moment and thought about it - it was her pitcher that was hitting the batters and she wanted ME to be the bad guy.

A parent must have paid some money to have the girl on the team and the coach didn't want to deal with the fall out of benching her. ;)

Dallusglockin

BP All-Star
Would this be along the same lines of asking the coach to replace a catcher because they can't catch and you (the umpire) keep getting hit by the pitches (not fouls)? Or since it's player on player violence there isn't that sense of self-preservation?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't know. I've never asked a coach to replace his catcher before. But I have reminded some catchers that there's a person standing right behind them and that they need to do a better job of stopping the ball.