Oblique Pulled?

Naptownkram

Addicted to Softballfans
I was hitting Bp on Sunday after one swing I felt a pop in my side and I had pain right away I was wondering has this happened to anybody else and How long did it take to heel to play again?

Thanks for the help!

The_Murse

Part Time Player
This happened to me about 6 weeks ago. Tweaked it hitting on a Tuesday, stopped hitting immediately, then played that Sunday and my very first swing I felt a pop and could barely run. Had to take the next 3 full weeks to heal. It was 2 weeks before I stopped feeling pain when I laughed or coughed. Ibuprofen for swelling and icing seemed to help. Don't push it, it has to heal on its own. If you continually tear that muscle you could look at a potential hernia (basically your insides try to burst thru a tear in your muscle) and that's a guaranteed surgery. I didn't run or do any sit-ups, push-ups, anything. Rest. That's all you can do. Also, you'll feel like you should stretch it out a few days after, DONT!. That's only going to decrease your healing time.

tom15

Old school stickin'!
Happened to Steve Clevenger of the Cubs. He dropped to the ground in pain, went to the 60 day DL. Took him about a month or so to heal. Depends on the severity I guess.

Naptownkram

Addicted to Softballfans
This happened to me about 6 weeks ago. Tweaked it hitting on a Tuesday, stopped hitting immediately, then played that Sunday and my very first swing I felt a pop and could barely run. Had to take the next 3 full weeks to heal. It was 2 weeks before I stopped feeling pain when I laughed or coughed. Ibuprofen for swelling and icing seemed to help. Don't push it, it has to heal on its own. If you continually tear that muscle you could look at a potential hernia (basically your insides try to burst thru a tear in your muscle) and that's a guaranteed surgery. I didn't run or do any sit-ups, push-ups, anything. Rest. That's all you can do. Also, you'll feel like you should stretch it out a few days after, DONT!. That's only going to decrease your healing time.

Thanks for all the info this is what I am doing and like you said coughing or laughing hurts really bad.I hope in three weeks I can be back!

deKilla

Coach
lots of Ice and Ibuprofen! Ibuprofen is a anti inflammatory and all of us so called athletes should have a 100 pack handy at all times and eat them like candy :D

jf2k4

<font color="#3300FF">Outstanding Good Dealer</fon
Be sure to drink alcohol with the ibuprofen also.

rolltide0323

Addicted to Softballfans
That definitely sucks. Pain was horrible. I was out a good 6 weeks. I still have dull pain in that same area and that was 4 years ago.

EVILHOMER360

Baaaat Fleeeeep!

what about sneezes. I think this is what happened to me Thursday, heard a pop, sneezed the other day and it felt like It just happened all over again.

mmhessco

Addicted to Softballfans
happened to me about 15 years early in my softball career. i was virtually a dead pull hitter....i swung and immediately dropped, felt like i got shot in my side. i finished the game swinging left handed. it took me aobut3 months before i started playing again. that couldve been the best thing that happened to my game though...cause since i was nervous about reinjuring it i learned how to go oppo.....

The_Murse

Part Time Player
what about sneezes. I think this is what happened to me Thursday, heard a pop, sneezed the other day and it felt like It just happened all over again.

Sneezing is the worst. Any contraction of the diaphram regardless of what it is will be very painful with this injury. Rest ice and compression are your friends on this.

donovan106

Yes, anything to the oblique area is going to be deadly to any baseball/softball activity. There's practically not one thing on the field hitting, pitching, or fielding that doesn't use that area of muscle.

Naptownkram

Addicted to Softballfans
Update I pulled my Left Oblique on June 2nd hitting BP:
It is now 12 days since I pulled it the first 5-6 days was very rough the last 6 days the pain has eased a bunch.
I still haven't tried swinging a bat or throwing yet. I have tried to jog a couple days ago I still have Pain when trying to jog.
I feel better and better everyday so Im hoping Ill be back on the Field in another week!

I will say after your pain starts to ease it still hurts really bad to Sneeze that is the worst!

The first 2-3 days after pulling I Iced it for 20mins on and off for 2-3 hours and also have been taking Ibreprofin, after 3rd day I started useing a heating pad for 2-3 hours a night that has helped alot

I have been told healing time for these is about 20-25 days give or take.

I hope this helps anbody else with this issue in the future Ill keep updating on this healing process

EVILHOMER360

Baaaat Fleeeeep!
Update I pulled my Left Oblique on June 2nd hitting BP:
It is now 12 days since I pulled it the first 5-6 days was very rough the last 6 days the pain has eased a bunch.
I still haven't tried swinging a bat or throwing yet. I have tried to jog a couple days ago I still have Pain when trying to jog.
I feel better and better everyday so Im hoping Ill be back on the Field in another week!

I will say after your pain starts to ease it still hurts really bad to Sneeze that is the worst!

The first 2-3 days after pulling I Iced it for 20mins on and off for 2-3 hours and also have been taking Ibreprofin, after 3rd day I started useing a heating pad for 2-3 hours a night that has helped alot

I have been told healing time for these is about 20-25 days give or take.

I hope this helps anbody else with this issue in the future Ill keep updating on this healing process

Mine only hurts now, when I cough or SNEEZE!!!! uggghh. I can dry swing a bat with no issues, but feel somediscomfort when I actually have to hit a ball.

andrewski

Addicted to Softballfans
Guess I'm not the only one.I was just stupid though and tried to play in a tourney.I had some bruising and had it diagnosed as a contusion w/the possibility of some small tears.My advice-don't push it!

The_Murse

Part Time Player
Glad to hear its doing better. That's a ***** of an Injury. Give it a full week or so before you test it. I was at exactly 20 days when I first tried to swing a bat and was very tentative to start but as I swung harder I didn't feel any pain. Good luck.

kyhunter14

Addicted to Softballfans
Had a similar injury last summer. Took a good three weeks of no softball at all to get back to near normal. When I went back to playing I wore a wrap around my mid section and it seemed to help. Injury didn't bother me at all doing anything else in daily life, but killed me to throw and swing.

andrewski

Addicted to Softballfans
Had a similar injury last summer. Took a good three weeks of no softball at all to get back to near normal. When I went back to playing I wore a wrap around my mid section and it seemed to help. Injury didn't bother me at all doing anything else in daily life, but killed me to throw and swing.

That's exactly how my injury has been.Normal activities have been no sweat but as soon as I swing hard it's over.Throwing hasn't been bad-but bending over to field is another story.Damn-lotta guys in the same boat unfortunately

Martell

Texas/New Mex Vinci Rep
Sneezing is the worst. Any contraction of the diaphram regardless of what it is will be very painful with this injury. Rest ice and compression are your friends on this.

Had this happen to me during pre game warm up bp on a cold day. Felt three pops instant pain, couldn't swing a bat or throw. Sneezing was unbearable. Ended up being separated cartridge from 3 ribs. I was down a month before I even attempted bp again.

Last edited:

EVILHOMER360

Baaaat Fleeeeep!
Had this happen to me during per game warm up bp on a cold day. Felt three pops instant pain, couldn't swing a bat or throw. Sneezing was unbearable. Ended up being separated cartridge from 3 ribs. I was down a month before I even attempted bp again.

ouch!!!!!! that popping feeling is the worst!!!!!:mad:

Naptownkram

Addicted to Softballfans
It is now 15 days since I pulled it! I am finally able to run, take infield and throw with no problem, hitting on the other hand is tight more than anything I'm more scared in going to feeling that pop or pulling like before I'm going to take it easy and see what i can do Wednesday league ball then rest up until weekend then go from there!!!

Naptownkram

Addicted to Softballfans
this saturday I played my first tourney back I had no pain and was able to take full swings again! Just made sure I stretched a bunch