Official ASA Rule Changes

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These have been approved by the General Council

Change Women's SP max fence distance to 300'

All adult SP except Seniors move bases to 70' - effective in 2013

Men's adult SP except Seniors move bases to 70'

Allow wooden bats made before 2000 to be legal without ASA stamp

Allowing Seniors to use 1.21 BPF bats

Clarify knob specifications

Clarify safety "grip" as opposed to "tape" and reduce the minimum coverage to 6"

Reinstate heating of a bat as a manner of altering it's characteristics

Change HR limits in Men's A to 10

Allows the BR to advance beyond 1B only if there is a play made on another runner or there is an errant throw.

Clarifies intentional interference with a batted ball a fielder has missed

Pfeff

Addicted to Softballfans
Lots of code changes on hold this morning. This might take a while. Someone call for pizza and send it back to irishmafia, deputyuichousto, and pfeff, we are at the same table.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
Is one of the things they plan on talking about the website with the player rankings?

Pfeff has a good one with the GoSoftball website, the ASA one is bad.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
For the record, I deleted my 70' base path thread because this thread is more comprehensive and more complete.

Joker

just curious, why say all SP then say mens SP? wouldn't mens be covered under all?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
if you are saying all in 2013 then mens would be 2013 too, they contradict themselves

These are the changes for 2012. Only men's slow pitch is being moved to 70' base paths. However, starting 2013, ALL adult slow pitch will be moved to 70' base paths.

whogotz

dilligaf?
^^^agreed.

wow, my polar bear season starts january 9th. our league better hustle up for 2012 compliance!

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Can you specify the knob and safety grip, i've had some bats tossed before due to the "tape job"

Here was the proposed change:
Proposed Change:
The knob will have a diameter of at least 1.6 inches with no sharp edges. The knob will be permanently attached to the bat and may be covered with grip tape.

The highlighted words in the 2011 rule say "taped" and "safety."

It has been legal to cover the safety knob, but apparently, there has been some confusion. Hopefully, this change in wording will alleviate some of that confusion.

Moore34

Remember. KCCO.
Here was the proposed change:

The highlighted words in the 2011 rule say "taped" and "safety."

It has been legal to cover the safety knob, but apparently, there has been some confusion. Hopefully, this change in wording will alleviate some of that confusion.

Than you sir. I don't use those grip n rips.. i just use very little tape. i got enough spray tac on the grip to stick it to the ceiling :D

Pfeff

Addicted to Softballfans
Is one of the things they plan on talking about the website with the player rankings?

Pfeff has a good one with the GoSoftball website, the ASA one is bad.

Thanks for the love covenant. I think we signed up 17 states yesterday to manage players, teams, and tournaments through gosoftball.com.

dp

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I find it remarkable that out of the 11 rule changes approved, 6 of them are specific to the slow pitch game. The remaining 5 changes have to do with the game in general, and do not appear to be specific to any particular level of play (ie., slow pitch vs. fast pitch vs. modified, etc.).

I think this year was definitely a "slow pitch year" for ASA.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
nothing yet for bat list changes?

No!
Kirk_Smack_Animated.gif

gate2009

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm assuming it means that after you hit the ball or are walked, you cant just round 1st and try stealing 2nd.

Is this what you think the rule says? No more doubles, triples or inside the park homers in ASA. If you get a hit you must stop at 1st.