ASA Official Score Book

Taprootgft

Addicted to Softballfans
To follow up on my previous thread,is there an actual ASA rule stating which teams scorebook is the official scorebook?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
ASA rules are written with Championship Play (ie., Nationals) in mind. At these tournaments, official scorekeepers are employed by the tournament.

Local leagues and tournaments are free to establish the "official book" however they see fit.

Taprootgft

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks, never officially knew, have always just gone under the assumption that there was a rule stating home team is the official book.

MaverickAH

The ASA rule book only makes reference to an official scorekeeper.

In my experience, for leagues & tournaments that don't have an official scorer, it's the home team's scorebook that's generally used as the official book for the game.

trip

stfu
yup, if your league isn't paying someone to do it, then the scorebook defaults to the home team.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
yup, if your league isn't paying someone to do it, then the scorebook defaults to the home team.

...by nothing other than tradition. There's nothing in the ASA rules or Code that says that this is the case.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
Out here it defaults to home teams book. I usually check scores in the 5th inning from both books, just to make sure they have same score. If not, I tell them to work it out and figure out what the score is. Tends to make things easier

sjury

The Old Man
Here both teams keep a book, at the end of the half inning the umpire says "I have ___" and marks a card. If you don't correct him and he writes it down, then too bad for you. Some teams do not keep a book, but we always do, as the umpire sometimes loses count, he has enough to worry about and count.