ASA OG Extented "banned" by umpire

snookdogg

Manager
So Tuesday night (11/20) I'm coaching my office team in our ninth game of an ASA league. It was a close and clean game without arguments where my fourth batter hit 3 hr's and a double using my well broken in OG Extended (w/ visible ASA stamps and used all season long), but despite his efforts we lost in walk-off fashion. Anyway, as we're packing up to leave the dugout the home plate umpire approaches me and says, "That red Synergy is now banned by ASA. I don't want you bringing it back here. I was going to tell you at the beginning of the game but now you know." I replied, "****, that's news to me!" I had been on the forum recently and had not heard of any rumors (from credible sources) of a new banned bats list.
What would be the best approach to protest this lame call?
So far I have printed the ASA non-approved bat list with ASA stamps and see what he says on Tuesday...

Last edited by a moderator:

snookdogg

Manager
The home team provided 44/375 Worth Gold dots. We usually provide 44/375 X-Rocks, Tattoos, or TA's.
Our fourth batter is the only hr hitter on the team no one else comes close, even using the same bat.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Visit the ASA Certified Equipment page and go to the bats. Then, under "2004 and Beyond Approved Bats," change "Display All" to "Easton," then click "Go."

Print that list, then bring it to the next game. Politely (and that part is key) inform the umpire that you looked into it, and the bat is still approved by ASA as per their website.

If he still insists the bat is non-approved, you have valid grounds for protest. All you have to say is, "Blue, we're now playing under protest," make sure the other team knows, then follow up at the end of the game with the league.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Umpire probably heard about the new ASA stamp and didnt realized that the old stamps are still valid.

u234bob

Blah Blah Blah
Stupid umpire.
Print banned list and being next time, hopefully he will believe what ASA says.

jaj23

Eye Baller
If it is well broken in, it likely exceeds standards and is therefore illegal. Stop crying about losing, get a legal bat, and play ball. If your guy is that good he can still hit bombs with any newer model bat.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
The umpire did not say it was exceeding test standards, he said it was a banned bat. And the OP wasn't whining about losing.

twestman

Addicted to Softballfans
Share your information with the league head, and see what they have to say about the matter. It's not about proving a point to the umpire... It's about getting his ignorant a** canned... LOL kidding. Kinda.

WORLD44

Addicted to Softballfans
how is the umpire going to know if it exceeds the test stanards without a bat test jaj23,,,coming from a umpire here..please enlighten me here

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
how is the umpire going to know if it exceeds the test stanards without a bat test jaj23,,,coming from a umpire here..please enlighten me here

What, you mean you don't have your standard-issue umpire radar with you on the field? :D

AJ22

Super Moderator

An umpire is "a person selected to rule on the plays in a game," and "one selected to settle disputes about the application of settled rules or usages."

Even though ASA has not banned this make/model of bat, an umpire can choose at anytime to deem a bat or equipment in play illegal. Illegal equipment can not be used.

Rule 10, Section 1-4

RULE 10 - UMPIRES

Failure of umpires to adhere to Rule 10 shall not be grounds for protest. These
are guidelines for umpires.

Section 1. POWER AND DUTIES.
The umpires are the representative of the league or organization by which they have been assigned to a particular game and, as such, are authorized and required to enforce each section of these rules. They have the power to order a player, coach, captain or manager to carry out or to omit any act which, in their judgment is necessary to give force and effect to one or all of these rules, and to impose penalties as herein prescribed. The plate umpire shall have the authority to make decisions on any situations not specifically covered in these rules. The following is the general information for umpires.

Maybe this umpire is choosing to take a stance and deem all Extendeds illegal for play. His logic stating ASA banned this bat is wrong .. but his reasoning may be right.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
An umpire is "a person selected to rule on the plays in a game," and "one selected to settle disputes about the application of settled rules or usages."

Even though ASA has not banned this make/model of bat, an umpire can choose at anytime to deem a bat or equipment in play illegal. Illegal equipment can not be used.

Rule 10, Section 1-4

RULE 10 - UMPIRES

Failure of umpires to adhere to Rule 10 shall not be grounds for protest. These
are guidelines for umpires.

Section 1. POWER AND DUTIES.
The umpires are the representative of the league or organization by which they have been assigned to a particular game and, as such, are authorized and required to enforce each section of these rules. They have the power to order a player, coach, captain or manager to carry out or to omit any act which, in their judgment is necessary to give force and effect to one or all of these rules, and to impose penalties as herein prescribed. The plate umpire shall have the authority to make decisions on any situations not specifically covered in these rules. The following is the general information for umpires.

Maybe this umpire is choosing to take a stance and deem all Extendeds illegal for play. His logic stating ASA banned this bat is wrong .. but his reasoning may be right.

This is over-extending the purpose of this paragraph if not an outright misinterpretation.

Short of missing information in the OP, under no circumstance can this umpire be right, correct or applicable under ASA code or rules.

AJ22

Super Moderator
This is over-extending the purpose of this paragraph if not an outright misinterpretation.

Short of missing information in the OP, under no circumstance can this umpire be right, correct or applicable under ASA code or rules.

Not disagreeing with you sir .. as usual you would be 100% correct.

HOWEVER, ALL local rules supercede any sanctioning. This could be a local rule .. especially if said league is not an ASA sanctioned league but follows ASA rules.

glovinitup

Addicted to Softballfans
Can you contact the league director? I would also alert them of the situation and let them know you are printing the list.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
So Tuesday night (11/20) I'm coaching my office team in our ninth game of an ASA league. It was a close and clean game without arguments where my fourth batter hit 3 hr's and a double using my well broken in OG Extended (w/ visible ASA stamps and used all season long), but despite his efforts we lost in walk-off fashion. Anyway, as we're packing up to leave the dugout the home plate umpire approaches me and says, "That red Synergy is now banned by ASA. I don't want you bringing it back here. I was going to tell you at the beginning of the game but now you know." I replied, "****, that's news to me!" I had been on the forum recently and had not heard of any rumors (from credible sources) of a new banned bats list.
What would be the best approach to protest this lame call?
So far I have printed the ASA non-approved bat list with ASA stamps and see what he says on Tuesday...

Its got nothing to do with bat performance fellows..... He was gonna ban the bat before he saw it perform because he thinks it's banned.

Taprootgft

Addicted to Softballfans
Even if your right, and you do protest what LD is going to overturn the results of a game due to a bat being incorrectly not allowed in play by an ump? Seems to me to be something to bring up to an LD before play even begins because the protest would do no good, they very well may say you're right, but I can't see any LD saying well because you couldn't use this bat we are going to replay the game because obviously the other bats in your dugout were incapable of getting hits.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
Even if your right, and you do protest what LD is going to overturn the results of a game due to a bat being incorrectly not allowed in play by an ump? Seems to me to be something to bring up to an LD before play even begins because the protest would do no good, they very well may say you're right, but I can't see any LD saying well because you couldn't use this bat we are going to replay the game because obviously the other bats in your dugout were incapable of getting hits.

From rule 9 Section7-

B. When a protest is determined to be valid because of the misinterpretation of a playing rule, the decision will be corrected and the game shall be replayed from the point at which the incorrect decision was made. If the protesting team wins the game the protest then becomes meaningless.

The rules are there because we, as players, want them there. Any LD or UIC worthy of their title would uphold a protest such as the one described in the OP. If one were made, of course.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

If a playing rule was misapplied, then a playing rule was misapplied. If a LD won't properly uphold the protest, then that tells you what caliber the LD is - chicken ****.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

HOWEVER, ALL local rules supercede any sanctioning. This could be a local rule .. especially if said league is not an ASA sanctioned league but follows ASA rules.

Yep, but you quoted the ASA rule book and that is to what I responded.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

Specifically, the rule is 3-7, not found in Rule 10.