OG Freak

OhtoNC1

Part Time Player
I just picked an OG Freak 28oz for dirt cheap. After reading up on it I think it's a second batch. That being said all of my other bats are 28-30oz and this Freak feels no where close to it feels more like 20oz. How can I tell without taking off the end cap to see if this bat has been shaved?

I really need to know we can still use them in our league and I refuse to use a shaved bat.

cbohrman44

Earnstaf tribute
Only true 100% way to tell is to pop off the cap.....sorry.....if its that light I'd say its been shaved. I'm not 100% sure but I thought under the weight sticker there used to be a metal plug that was a rod...when they shaved those older bats they had to remove that metal rod so a rubber type plug was then put in....you can look that way...

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Actual scale weight is a very simple indicator, although it would not necessarily mean it is shaved if t comes in low. Put it on a scale. I had had several brand new bats that felt very very light (if I had to guess I would of said 24-25 oz) but the actual scale weight put them within 0.25 oz of the sticker weight (in this case 27 oz).

Calli4120

ASA Free Since 05
Only true 100% way to tell is to pop off the cap.....sorry.....if its that light I'd say its been shaved. I'm not 100% sure but I thought under the weight sticker there used to be a metal plug that was a rod...when they shaved those older bats they had to remove that metal rod so a rubber type plug was then put in....you can look that way...

Since we are going off memory, I think the rods that were in older Miken bats were counter weights. They made their base bat (a 26oz) and to accommodate the demand for heavier weights they would add a half ounce to the end cap and a half ounce in the handle with the metal rod. For the 28oz they would do 1 ounce in each the cap and handle.

The lightest bats produced just had a plug and no rod.

Again, its been a very long time so I may not remember exactly but I believe this is correct. (At least for the older Mikens)

cbohrman44

Earnstaf tribute
roger that....so if the bat is supposed to be a 28oz, its safe to assume it should have had a metal rod? where as a 26oz may not have...

Calli4120

ASA Free Since 05
roger that....so if the bat is supposed to be a 28oz, its safe to assume it should have had a metal rod? where as a 26oz may not have...

My understanding yes.

Back in the early days of this board there was lots of discussion about removing the rod on heavier bats to create more endload

herts9

SEMI-RETIRED LEGEND
correct. the 26's had a rubber/foam looking beige plug

if yours is that light, it's probably because somebody was up to no good. those and synergy 2's from back in the day were notorious for taking a shave well :eek:

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
If it hits bombs it's shaved. OG Freak is one of the most shaved bats in the history of softball so don't be surprised if it is.

OhtoNC1

Part Time Player
Thank you guys for the info I'm going to take it out tomorrow and hit a mix of 52/300 and 44/375s and hopefully I can somewhat tell by the feel and sound and of course distance I'm not a power hitter.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
If it hits bombs it's shaved. OG Freak is one of the most shaved bats in the history of softball so don't be surprised if it is.

Depending on the number of hits. We put 3000 swings on ours and at the end it was buttery soft and felt like cheating it was so easy to hit out.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
Depending on the number of hits. We put 3000 swings on ours

That is the reason they were one of the most altered bats, it'll last a while after being gutted. I have hit one until it was in 2 pieces and my team would pass it around like a joint. I have a #5 serial number Freak Plus with a few thousand hits but I can only use it in unsanctioned play so it's a shame it's in my laundry room collecting dust

Dogue

Evil Genius
Take it up to the Post Office and weigh it on their self-shipping machine. My 28 oz Freaks all weighed between 28.1 and 28.3 with taped grips.

If you feel that bad about the bat you can send it to me...I'll pay shipping. ;)

OhtoNC1

Part Time Player
Take it up to the Post Office and weigh it on their self-shipping machine. My 28 oz Freaks all weighed between 28.1 and 28.3 with taped grips.

If you feel that bad about the bat you can send it to me...I'll pay shipping. ;)

Haha I think I'll keep it.