OGJ2 end cap

shindig153

Addicted to Softballfans
So, a buddy and I were doing some bp Saturday when he hit a ball and I thought I saw something weird come off the bat. I watched his hit and turned around to him looking at the end cap of the J2. He told me he just broke my bat. The end cap came flying off. I grabbed the end cap and looked at it and the bat. Looks like rubber ripped and it won't go back in.

Is there anything I can do to fix it myself or will Demarini replace the end cap if I contact them?

After we continued bp with him doing the same thing to my antivirus. Two bats in one day. That one came out clean and is an easy fix. What is the likely hood of that happening?

Last edited:

Goosepimp

Insane Dedication
clutch endcaps are no longer available through demar for the J2

how bad is the broken one you have? might have to do some heavy duty searching to find another one and then marine epoxy it back in....

shindig153

Addicted to Softballfans
The end cap is fine it's the rubber that holds it in that's the problem. I'm assuming it's rubber anyway?

TRaj2327

Stop letting your buddy swing your bats and hitting off the end cap. That's your best solution.

shindig153

Addicted to Softballfans
Not a cheater don't believe in shaving bats. My buddies hit was on the sweet spot. Maybe he's more of a stud than you TRaj!

Anything else non productive to add for a solution?

krakrt

Addicted to Softballfans
clean off old adhesive from endcap
clean inside of barrel where endcap sits
epoxy back in flush
let dry
swing away

^^^^ Exactly what was said here, possibly use some steel wool or sand paper at the end of the barrel where the end cap would be,just make it a little rough from a few rubs back and forth, so that the adhesive will have something to hold on to, and the same for the end cap.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a cheater don't believe in shaving bats. My buddies hit was on the sweet spot. Maybe he's more of a stud than you TRaj!

Anyone but the manufacturer putting it back in for you is technically still altering the bat. I doubt either company will do anything for you without a receipt.

TRaj2327

Unlikely that he is......;)

AV should be fine with a real good epoxy as others have mentioned. My buddy had the same thing happen to his.

The DeMarini end cap will be a little tougher.

shindig153

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for all the info. I took another look at the inside and I'm in the process of getting the old epoxy off. There was very little on the end cap itself so that's already to go. Looks like it will go together nicely.

JuiceyJay

Three Six Mafia
Anyone but the manufacturer putting it back in for you is technically still altering the bat. I doubt either company will do anything for you without a receipt.

Demarini won't fix anyways, no more clutch caps left...its a shame since too many juggys get tossed for a rattle.

deejayditto

Addicted to Softballfans
I have a j2 with the same problem but my endcap looks like two pieces the endcap and the sleeve that holds it in the barrel, mine the plastic sleeve that holds the end cap is busted

808islandg

Addicted to Softballfans
Clean the rubber out and use a polyurethane *****ing and let it sit for a day or two and u should be fine