USSSA ONE pitch ruling

newram05

Addicted to Softballfans
On a foul ball in ONE pitch, if the outfielder makes the catch in foul territory, base runners CAN/CANNOT tag up to advance bases? My LD says that its an automatic deadball due to it being 1pitch and foul... batter is out and no runners can advance on a tag up.

Whats your thoughts and is there any literature to back up this ruling?

beernbombs

Abby's dad
USSSA rules say 3rd strike foul ball is a dead ball out, right? And 1 pitch essentially means you start with a full count. So, I say runners cannot tag.

sjury

The Old Man
It doesn't matter what the book says. Leagues can alter the rules as they see fit. If the League Director says it's a dead ball, then it's a dead ball.

thoagie1

The Veteran
It doesn't matter what the book says. Leagues can alter the rules as they see fit. If the League Director says it's a dead ball, then it's a dead ball.

This is the way it is!! In the leagues around here where I'm at if you catch the ball, it's live and all runners can advance. Thats why if there's 2 strikes we let foul balls drop so nobody can advance.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar

This is true but FWIW assuming USSSA rules your LD is correct. A 3rd strike foul ball is a dead ball caught or otherwise.