Onyx Softball Bat

Mont 25

Addicted to Softballfans
Has anyone swung the Onyx 12” end-loaded bat? I picked one up recently and it swings a little heavier than my other sticks it’s weight. I haven’t had the chance to put many swings on it, but it didn’t seem to be hot out of the wrapper. I plan to put work in this weekend and will share more. In the meantime, I’d love to hear what others think about this stick.

Thanks,
Big D

westtexas

"Godfather"
We have about 10 of these in our league. They are not hot out of the wrapper they are very stiff but after couple hundred cuts they open up nicely and become as hot as anything out there....I have a different onyx than you and now that it is game ready it will not see any BP.

Mont 25

Addicted to Softballfans
We have about 10 of these in our league. They are not hot out of the wrapper they are very stiff but after couple hundred cuts they open up nicely and become as hot as anything out there....I have a different onyx than you and now that it is game ready it will not see any BP.
Thanks, WestTexas! Did you get the distance and exit speed of other sticks? For you, was the Onyx a cut above? I have had excellent results with the Miken Big Cat, the Dudley 2.0, and others, so I am open to trying new things. I just want to do what I can to be the best that I can for my team. Will be putting in that work with the Onyx to see what's up.

westtexas

"Godfather"
What we found...the ONYX out of the wrapper has great exit speed and gets through the infield very quickly. It just took a while for the sweet spot to expand and get distance. Once it had a couple hundred cuts it was as good as any other well broke in top end bat.
I personally believe that top end senior bats are mostly all good. You just have to find the one that fits you best. We all play with homerun limits and to me a bat that I can control is more important than one I can mi**** over the fence. I would rather have a 750-800 average with 1 home run than ton of homeruns and a 500 average.

Mont 25

Addicted to Softballfans
What we found...the ONYX out of the wrapper has great exit speed and gets through the infield very quickly. It just took a while for the sweet spot to expand and get distance. Once it had a couple hundred cuts it was as good as any other well broke in top end bat.
I personally believe that top end senior bats are mostly all good. You just have to find the one that fits you best. We all play with homerun limits and to me a bat that I can control is more important than one I can mi**** over the fence. I would rather have a 750-800 average with 1 home run than ton of homeruns and a 500 average.
Thanks, WestTexas, this is very helpful.

Ron T

W.O.M.D.
A friend bought a 26.5 oz 12" barrel after 2018 worlds in Vegas. NIW, I took the first 10 swings and was surprised at the distance along with the velocity that the ball came off the bat. This bat felt gtg out of the wrapper. Balls used were xrocks.
Bat kept up with my well broken in melee2,and my melee12" legends of the game. GREAT BAT WITH OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE. No stinging or vibration on miss hits.

yank

Addicted to Softballfans
A friend bought a 26.5 oz 12" barrel after 2018 worlds in Vegas. NIW, I took the first 10 swings and was surprised at the distance along with the velocity that the ball came off the bat. This bat felt gtg out of the wrapper. Balls used were xrocks.
Bat kept up with my well broken in melee2,and my melee12" legends of the game. GREAT BAT WITH OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE. No stinging or vibration on miss hits.
Totally agree really like the 12" that I have used.

ffdonnie

Addicted to Softballfans
Just heard the 12" Bourgeois is very fragile. Hot but not staying together.
Anyone know if the 13" Onyx (Blackout?) is the same?

ffdonnie

Addicted to Softballfans
A buddy is on his third one. First one broke in 30 swings, second one just under 100 and the third is in his bag only coming out in key at bats. Elite took care of him though, replacing both.
He's a strong hitter but not a masher.

ffdonnie

Addicted to Softballfans
That's cool, but what kind of cuts? You hit hard? Absolutely no disrespect intended, just wondering. Hate this crap shoot on newer bats.

westtexas

"Godfather"
I would say I hit hard...Im a 5'10 inch 225 lbs competative powerlifter. I broke a Hot W in 25 cuts. I go through about 4-5 usssa bats a year (worth or miken). Im just saying that I like mine and it has lasted for me

ffdonnie

Addicted to Softballfans
I would say I hit hard...Im a 5'10 inch 225 lbs competative powerlifter. I broke a Hot W in 25 cuts. I go through about 4-5 usssa bats a year (worth or miken). Im just saying that I like mine and it has lasted for me

thank you for the info. Good luck in Vegas if you are going.