Onyx Softball Bats

ShortYellowBus

I’ve been reading in various places that the Onyx bats are having troubles with durability; and I don’t mean compression testing!

Actual cracks in the middle of the barrel.

bakesta72

washed up hasbeen of SBF
Ive swung the Ha'Aha'a, BCA Fight, El Presidente, and Defender EL model.

The Presidente and Defender EL have the (CFT), which is carbon flex technology. These barrels are soft and very responsive requiring zero break in. Probably not the most durable.

The BCA Fight had a stiffer handle (CAT), but semi soft barrel. Seemed like it might hold up better.

The Bryce Oliveira Ha'Aha'A two piece was a stiff handle and stiff barrel. Completely different feel than the others and tested around 275 after 50 swings. It had a distinct sound at the beginning too. I threw some harder stuff at it like 47s, 44/400 and Evil Rockets to help break it in a little more. Seems like itll be the most durable of the bunch.

Last edited:

tonys1

I'd suppose you could talk them into a different model but I'm not sure. The warranty can also be used as a credit if not used on a replacement for a broken one.

I might try one in our mush ball league, should hold up a little better with a .47/230

I don't like the paintjob on the current model, still have time to find one I like!

sleepin4matty

Management Material
I've used the pink BCA ASA model hitting mushy 52/300 balls from Bownet and the bat is excellent with no durability issues during a California "winter". Buddy also has the utrip hahaha whatever hitting utrip balls with no issues. Maybe yall are just getting some bad batch bats? Just talk to them I'm sure you can work something out

tonys1

I've used the pink BCA ASA model hitting mushy 52/300 balls from Bownet and the bat is excellent with no durability issues during a California "winter". Buddy also has the utrip hahaha whatever hitting utrip balls with no issues. Maybe yall are just getting some bad batch bats? Just talk to them I'm sure you can work something out

Yeah and I think Joker called it out a couple of years ago - this is a time of year where a lot of people complain about breaking bats. Is everyone having those issues really swinging at above 60 degree weather with balls that haven't been sitting in the cold overnight in their trunks? Who knows.

Do these companies really do zero testing on their products before releasing to market?

bakesta72

washed up hasbeen of SBF
Yeah and I think Joker called it out a couple of years ago - this is a time of year where a lot of people complain about breaking bats. Is everyone having those issues really swinging at above 60 degree weather with balls that haven't been sitting in the cold overnight in their trunks? Who knows.

Do these companies really do zero testing on their products before releasing to market?

Tons of truth this observation. I keep my balls inside during the winter :D But there are a ton of guys that don't consider the balls when its cold, many will skip right to the bat.

I have also wondered about your latter statement, about companies doing product testing. There's so many "new" bat companies it makes one think they just want to get a ROI faster and skip over the product testing stage.

tonys1

I have also wondered about your latter statement, about companies doing product testing. There's so many "new" bat companies it makes one think they just want to get a ROI faster and skip over the product testing stage.

So just speculating, but what's worse from a PR, reputation, and cost perspective for a startup? The risk of their bats failing after 50 hits because they were too cheap to give a few local buddies their bats to test for free? I could be entirely wrong, but I'd think it's 4-5 guys in the softball community who put some money together and decide to start something up, not a bunch of corporate guys in suits who'd have no clue or care to test.

Yes, as far as available models, I pretty much see the 2019 Defender EL model but haven't come across any reviews except mention on here from bakestra72.

ShortYellowBus

What’s a good senior bat testing out of wrapper? This is a real question.

200? It has to be less. 200 is too high.

They’re fantastic when they’re testing around 165.

What happens to regular bats that get cut and rolled as home run derby bats? Obviously 165 for maximum effect.

A UTrip bat testing 225-235 NIW isn’t going to have good durability hitting UTrip balls. What you’re seeing is Onyx penetrating the market with a product that can beat the competitors right away. Anarchy and Pure initially did the same.

They can’t make bats suitable for Arizona. Florida and Canadian weather year round. These brand new bats aren't different, and they follow the same rules as others; huge performance with a trade off.

It’ll be shocking to see what happens when the new batch of bats of Onyx come out.

Stiff barrels with blue, camo or pink Flip, LeBron, KD or Hallsy graphics to help them sell more bats.

sleepin4matty

Management Material

Onyx is based out of so cal so winter isn't really a thing. No idea about product testing elsewhere but I know they distributed a bunch of bats out in my area and didn't have the problems listed above