Opinion' calling out bats

Prime

Addicted to Softballfans
So, we have a monday and tuesday asa league for church teams, I was watching the end of the other teams game after mine tonight and the other team was swinging a utrip nrg 600 that was on fire, out of an 11 man batting order 9 or so people were swinging the same utrip bat. The other team (the one not swinging utrip) got beasted all game, ended something like 15-4.

any reason to call out a bat if you aren't involved in the game? mostly a kind of noncompetitive thing. But it does kind of bother me that people are looking to take advantage in a low level church league. I would have called it out myself but when i started watching it was already the 5th inning and they were run ruled after 3 outs, i did mention it to the church teams coach but he said its almost over anyways and said thanks.

what would you have done?

after talking with my brother that plays on my team, his only response was to say that he would go to his car and grab his utrip bats and let the other team hit with them so it was fair.

would you call out a bat in a game that you werent involved in?

ShaneDuncan

Addicted to Softballfans
If the league has no bat rules who cares. Not the other teams fault the other team didn't have any hot bats. I agree with your brother. I would have gotten out my bats and let the other team swing away though. Kind of a ****ish move on the one teams part but its part of the game.

Ben_Johnson41

The Gr8est Show on Dirt™
1) It's church league...
2) It probably wouldn't matter what bats the losing team used if they can only score 4 runs...
3) It's church league...

Prime

Addicted to Softballfans
rules are ASA, they use the non approved bat list and all, if the bat had gotten pointed out it would have been pulled from the game. I would hate to see someone in a noncompetitive church league get hurt from some douche getting his assisted longball on.

AmmoDawg

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
If the league has no bat rules who cares. Not the other teams fault the other team didn't have any hot bats. I agree with your brother. I would have gotten out my bats and let the other team swing away though. Kind of a ****ish move on the one teams part but its part of the game.

He did say it was an ASA league, hence why the NRG 600 would be illegal. I would probably mention it in passing loud enough so the teams family members in the stands could hear me and leave it at that :eek: **** move indeed though by the other team just to win a church league game.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
I would call it out.... Somebody could get hurt..... Especially in a church league! **** that bro, somebody could get injured.... No bat control, hot bat equals somebody getting hurt!

AJ22

Super Moderator
rules are ASA, they use the non approved bat list and all, if the bat had gotten pointed out it would have been pulled from the game. I would hate to see someone in a noncompetitive church league get hurt from some douche getting his assisted longball on.

:confused:

Non-competitive church league but has rules ?

Isn't it the responsibility of the League Director, the umpires, and the players to know the rules ?

Camp

Giving Bitches Complexes
I doubt they even know what they're swinging. Exhibit A: Played in some church league for the first and last time a couple weeks ago. Asked the ump if it was cool to swing my psycho. He says yes. Offered it to the entire team and they'd rather swing a cyclone and leave my ogs and THEY'RE OWN FLEX AND UNICORN ON THE FENCE.

AJ22

Super Moderator
I doubt they even know what they're swinging. Exhibit A: Played in some church league for the first and last time a couple weeks ago. Asked the ump if it was cool to swing my psycho. He says yes. Offered it to the entire team and they'd rather swing a cyclone and leave my ogs and THEY'RE OWN FLEX AND UNICORN ON THE FENCE.

Which was my point in post #9 above ..

Non-competitve sounds like someone could get hurt no matter what anyone swings. Especially by a player who is competitive and playing in THIS league ?

Whitey0817

Addicted to Softballfans
I doubt the average player in this league swings hard enough to show much difference between a good asa and utrip composite, its not like a utrip bat will turn dribblers into 400' home runs

dremersvision

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with a quite a bit of comments in here.

The ump and coaches should know what bats are legall and which ones are not but again, it's a church league.

I play on a church league and 6 out of the 17 guys on the team have barely ever played softball. Factor in a bat that is super hot and all of a sudden you have a recipe for disaster.

71bama17

Addicted to Softballfans
I play church league and a player with little or no skill can be very dangerous asa or utrip, I see no problem with a quick mention to the coach that a certain bat is illegal, But I do believe that coaches and umps need to be up to speed on the rules

shawn.vanlaecke

The Veteran

But you would give the other team your utrip bat, to possibly injury someone?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
to answer your questions, Yes...its ok to call out a bat if your not playing weather you tell the team to say something or you tell the umpire in between innings...no need to make a big deal of it an look like a tard but keep it classy and yes its GTG

Prime

Addicted to Softballfans
But you would give the other team your utrip bat, to possibly injury someone?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

nah, you must have read the post wrong - try again, thats what my brother said when we discussed whether or not I should call out a bat in a game we wern't playing in. If it hadn't been the last inning I would have had the ump check that utrip bat for an asa stamp.

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
nah, you must have read the post wrong - try again, thats what my brother said when we discussed whether or not I should call out a bat in a game we wern't playing in. If it hadn't been the last inning I would have had the ump check that utrip bat for an asa stamp.

why does it matter what inning you do it in?:confused:

Prime

Addicted to Softballfans
why does it matter what inning you do it in?:confused:

I suppose it doesn't but I did let the coach of the other team know and he said thanks but the game is almost over anyways. The only reason i mentioned the inning was because the team swinging the utrip stick wasn't going to bat again unless the other church team scored some runs, which didn't happen.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd say approach the other team and let them know they're using an illegal bat. If they keep using it, inform the other team to have the umpire call the bat after their best hitters gets a hit but before the next hitter takes a pitch. That way they get two outs for the price of one.

Hate cheaters, don't care if it's church league or world championships. The lower the league, the more of a d-bag you are for cheating.

I'd have to say at least one person on that team knows it's illegal unless it's the only bat they have. Sounds like they're encouraging everyone to use that bat, which means they know what it's about. Most "non-competitive" crap players bring a $20 bat and insist on using it even to their detriment, cuz it's "their" bat.

Drop the hammer on them, that's WJWD.