ASA Orange and white bag

bdauzy

Coach
Got a question for you ASA umps.

The situation was one of our hitters hit a grounder to the ss he threw wildly to first, the ball bounced off the fence and came directly to the first baseman who picked up the ball in foul territory and touched the orange bag half second before the runner touched the orange bag. Ump called the runner out. Is this the correct call? And if so why does defense get the right to the orange bag?

MaverickAH

IF the throw takes the first baseman into foul territory, it is perfectly acceptable for them to use the orange portion of the bag & for the runner to use the white portion.

Refer to Rule 8.2.M.4&5 in the rules manual.

bdauzy

Coach
So does the rule change and require the base runner to touch the white bag? In other words would he have been out no matter what for touching the orange bag

sjury

The Old Man
So does the rule change and require the base runner to touch the white bag? In other words would he have been out no matter what for touching the orange bag

No the runner may use either bag in that case, but if he/she interferes with the fielder fielding the throw by using the colored bag they can be called out for interference.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
Remember it a "safety" bag and it's for safety's sake that they are "switching" sides. If, in this situation, you require 1B to still use the white portion, you may be creating a potential collision.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
No the runner may use either bag in that case, but if he/she interferes with the fielder fielding the throw by using the colored bag they can be called out for interference.

That is incorrect. The rule allows the runner the option to use the white portion, does not mandate him/her to do so.

Also it's not a safety base it's a double base.

That is interesting so if the defense is making a play foul territory the runner can still Use either bag. So what Irish and NC are saying is you could probably still step on his the fielders foot and not be called out for interference? Which would be different from your standard play at first base from fair territory if the runner touched the fielder.

Have I mentioned I hate posting from a freakin cell phone lol

sjury

The Old Man
The book says the runner can still be called out for interference. That was my original point, that somehow got mixed up.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
Also it's not a safety base it's a double base.

That is interesting so if the defense is making a play foul territory the runner can still Use either bag. So what Irish and NC are saying is you could probably still step on his the fielders foot and not be called out for interference? Which would be different from your standard play at first base from fair territory if the runner touched the fielder.

Have I mentioned I hate posting from a freakin cell phone lol

I'm not sure how stepping on the fielder's foot is interference.:confused:

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
The book says the runner can still be called out for interference. That was my original point, that somehow got mixed up.

A BR can always be called out for interference anytime they commit an act of interference.

Equally so, not using a particular base is not an act of INT at anytime.

So, considering the question, what was the point? :)

I'm not sure how stepping on the fielder's foot is interference.:confused:

Of course you do....lol... if the battery/runner steps on the first baseman's foot while the first baseman's foot is on the white portion of the safety base on a routine ground ball to the infield he would .be called out for interference.