Our Silly League

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
just let us know we could use 52/300 OR 44/375. why? they have a few boxes of unused 44 cor balls at the concession stand (5 bucks a ball they sell them for) they'd like to get rid of. :confused:

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
Use the 44/375's! Only pitchers and people who can't play like the crappier ball so it makes less fun.

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
We use, (and I prefer) the Evil .52/300.....

I can hit them further than .44's.......

If you can hit, you'll hit the .52's just fine. If you can't hit, you'll complain a lot, but it's not the ball....... a lot of folks hear the sound and assume they are crap.....

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
The 52s are OK but feel like a sock compared the the 44s. Totally depends on what kind of hitter you are but the 44 is superior for distance. I would choose 44/375 and never look back.

eastonfreak81

Addicted to Softballfans

If you can hit, you'll hit the .52's just fine. If you can't hit, you'll complain a lot, but it's not the ball....... a lot of folks hear the sound and assume they are crap.....

This is true.

Matt1336

Addicted to Softballfans

Aren't you a part of the "never hit a home run" club. So how far do you hit 44s?

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
Our spring league is still using 40/375's this year because the LD's team still has a bunch left over from last year that they accidentally bought instead of 44 cor :rolleyes:

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
Aren't you a part of the "never hit a home run" club. So how far do you hit 44s?

Nope, I've graduated!

In BP in the last 6 months I've probably put 50-60 .44's over the fence, but I quit hitting them and only hit .52's now, and I've probably put at least 200 Evil's over the fence....... Some of the furthest balls I've ever hit have been Evil .52's :biggthumpup:

sjury

The Old Man
If you use 44s be prepared to break a lot of bats, if you use 52s swing anything you want. People are too concerned about distance. Everyone wants to hit a homerun. Over the last 5 years you see more and more miss hit homeruns because of the bats and balls. That doesn't add excitement or fun to the game when everyone can hit a homerun. It makes it boring. Only good hitters with good power should be able to reach the fences, not every 150 pound toothpick with a triple composite double flex handle maxload four piece bat.

Softball today is more like 5 year old soccer.... everyone gets a trophy so no one feels bad... everyone gets to hit a homerun so no ones ego gets hurt.

Matt1336

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^amen. Home runs shouldn't be your goal every time you step up to the plate...In Bp or a game. If you're any kind of a hitter or playing on any kind of a decent team you and your teammates need to be good situational hitters. Know the game...hit it to the right side with guys on first and second- that kind of thing. Home runs shouldn't be much of an accomplishment when your using the bats that we use.
But some times I need to remind myself that a lot of guys on here are in fact rec leaguers and nothing more. There's nothing wrong with that, but then don't talk like Chris Larson. That's annoying.

lawdizzle

The Veteran
If you use 44s be prepared to break a lot of bats, if you use 52s swing anything you want. People are too concerned about distance. Everyone wants to hit a homerun. Over the last 5 years you see more and more miss hit homeruns because of the bats and balls. That doesn't add excitement or fun to the game when everyone can hit a homerun. It makes it boring. Only good hitters with good power should be able to reach the fences, not every 150 pound toothpick with a triple composite double flex handle maxload four piece bat.

Softball today is more like 5 year old soccer.... everyone gets a trophy so no one feels bad... everyone gets to hit a homerun so no ones ego gets hurt.

Love this right here lol!

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
Ever notice the big boys don't use 52/300s in their HR derbies? But not everyone is a HR hitter, duly noted... if you want to choke up and punch it in front of the right fielder the ball doesn't matter at all.

ATL Rookie

Manager
Ever notice the big boys don't use 52/300s in their HR derbies?

They arent using 44's either.

I play IF, I prefer the 44's cause they dont take nearly as many funny hops. As a ground ball and line drive hitter, I love the 52's. Line drives tend to knuckle, ground balls take a lot of unpredictable hops. Both result in a lot of hits that would have been routine plays with the 44's.

evergain26

Addicted to Softballfans
Ever notice the big boys don't use 52/300s in their HR derbies? But not everyone is a HR hitter, duly noted... if you want to choke up and punch it in front of the right fielder the ball doesn't matter at all.

I was drinking beer with Kenny Briggs and Ray Cowart in Omaha after a long haul event and those balls are closer to hard-cased ping pong balls then anything we have ever used! Literally the ball bounced off the ground and over my head in the bar!

Last edited:

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
Just yesterday at BP, saw one of the balls from Helmer's event at BLD Mansfield last weekend, the thing is hard as a coconut. It doesn't go "poof" when you hit it.

knockers

Addicted to Softballfans
Nope, I've graduated!

In BP in the last 6 months I've probably put 50-60 .44's over the fence, but I quit hitting them and only hit .52's now, and I've probably put at least 200 Evil's over the fence....... Some of the furthest balls I've ever hit have been Evil .52's :biggthumpup:

We talkin bout practice?!?

If you hit it either ball will fly. The 52 is far less forgiving, and the bounces are killing IF. Pitching I like the 52 because it seems to dance more, but trying to field anything bouncing is an adventure.