NSA Passing a runner

Ganja King

Addicted to Softballfans
Runner on first no outs. Fly ball to left. Runner on first is going to tag on the catch. Batter runs hard. Ball drops. Runner on first is passed by the batter. Which player is out?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Runner on first no outs. Fly ball to left. Runner on first is going to tag on the catch. Batter runs hard. Ball drops. Runner on first is passed by the batter. Which player is out?

Did the batter-runner actually round first and attempt to head to second, or did he just over-run first base?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Did the batter-runner actually round first and attempt to head to second, or did he just over-run first base?

Good point to consider, since running up the line (over-run) would not be considered passing.

But if it was passing...anytime a runner passes another runner, it is ALWAYS the trailing runner who is out.

Ganja King

Addicted to Softballfans
Thank you guys. The batter took off all the way to 3rd. Runner 1 ended up on 2nd. Should runner 1 stay on 2nd or should he have to go back to first?

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
But if it was passing...anytime a runner passes another runner, it is ALWAYS the trailing runner who is out.

That seems backwards to me.

And what happens to the front runner? I assume he would be sent back to the base before he passed the trailing runner?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
First, to clarify...By "trailing runner" I mean BEFORE he passes the leading runner. Think of "trailing" in terms of the order that they became batter-runners and began running the bases.

With respect to the original question, the batter would be out, the passed runner would be safe at second base.

On a "passing the runner" violation the ball stays live and all other play continues.

Last edited:

sjury

The Old Man
The batter-runner, runner on third is out for passing the original runner, and the runner on second (original runner on first base) can stay on second.

Also batter-runner needs to leave the team an open bar tab for two hours, unless this is a kids team, then you should ask his parents to sign him up for knitting class, instead of baseball.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
First, to clarify...By "trailing runner" I mean BEFORE he passes the leading runner. Think of "trailing" in terms of the order that they became batter-runners and began running the bases.

That makes more sense.

I get easily confused :)