PCL Injury recovery

wcoastsoftball

Are you able to do the things you want with the tear? If so, then you may not need surgery. Especially if it is just the PCL, if other ligaments are involved, or the meniscus as well, then it may be needed.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
well, just went to the doc yesterday, he said I have some "extra play" in my left PCL that I don't have in my right but good news it probably isn't torn. Bad news, meniscus tear. MRI scheduled for the 9th, follow up on the 18th

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
I have been dealing with an mcl issue since this winter. Have some other issues that maybe need AS, just don't know. Most of the advice I have gotten has centered around driving until the wheels fall off, cuz once they cut it out it ain't coming back and you are just that much closer to knee replacement. Though they are doing pretty good things with them nowadays. I live in a ski town though where almost everybody has what they call a locals tattoo(surgery scar).
Cliff notes: If it is really hampering your life, maybe surgery. If mostly discomfort, maybe not necessary yet. I am driving til the wheels come off probably.

SYNERGY2

Manager
I tore my PCL 4 years ago, never had it fixed surgically. I remember them telling me that unless absolutely necessary the surgery isn't as successful as the other ligaments. I think due to where the ligament attaches.

I did the PT and ultimately got a DonJoy brace that is set up for PCL support. Haven't had any issues since, but I also haven't tried playing without it. Over the winters I am able to squat relatively heavy without the brace without any issue as well.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Got my MRI results, partial (Grade 2) tear to my PCL and a mild tear to both MCL and LCL, no damage to ACL. Plan is to do some PT whenever I can get it scheduled and see the ortho again in 8 weeks.

What don joy brace did you get? I picked one up and it doesn't help at all.

SYNERGY2

Manager
What don joy brace did you get? I picked one up and it doesn't help at all.

I got the Defiance, it is custom fit. The same type you see all the NFL lineman wearing. You can have it setup specifically for ACL, PCL, LCL, MCL in any combination. It's expensive but to me is worth it.

It actually didn't help me that much until I got a cortisone shot and had my knee drained. Once all the swelling went down the brace is gold.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
gotcha, I picked up the bionic knee one and it doesn't do anything. Starting PT Monday so hopefully that helps and I won't need a brace