USSSA pinch runner rule

fakeelvis

<font color="#551A8B">Lady Virus Hunter</font>
couldnt find the answer I was looking for anywhere.....

along with the new home run rule in D I heard somewhere they changed the pinch runner rule to once per inning as long as the pinch runner is the last guy who got out....

A. is this true
B. where can I find this rule
C. what is the rule if you have 13 guys? can that extra guy pinch run once per inning?

thanks

Pylon #00

Bad Mother****er

along with the new home run rule in D I heard somewhere they changed the pinch runner rule to once per inning as long as the pinch runner is the last guy who got out....

A. is this true
C. what is the rule if you have 13 guys? can that extra guy pinch run once per inning?

thanks

Not a pinch runner, but a "courtesy runner" and it has to be the last out. So you can't use someone that isn't in the game like GSL.

sjury

The Old Man
COURTERSY RUNNER may be ANYONE on the roster. The courtesy runner may be used unlimited times for one player per inning. If the courtesy runner is on base and comes to bat, an out will be taken for that spot in the order. At no time, unless injury or blood rule, shall a courtesy runner be substituted for. If the courtesy runner is substituted for due to injury or blood rule and his spot in the batting order comes up in the same inning, an out will be taken and the spot in the lineup is skipped. . Courtesy runners must be in uniform.

The last out thing is a local rule, and you can use someone off the bench. I copied the GSL rule above, including their spelling errors. Unless USSSA specifically changes the wording, anyone on your roster can run, even if they're not in the game.

MaverickAH

A. is this true

thanks

I love it when questions are asked about a specific rule set (In this case, USSSA) & answers not in evidence are given............

A. No.

B. You can't because it doesn't exist in the USSSA Rule Book.

C. Local leagues can institute any kind of rule they want. If they institute a courtesy runner rule, it can be the last batted out, the last recorded out, someone off the bench, a designated "rabbit" or someone in the stands if they want. Check with the specific league your question is about for your answer.

As far as the USSSA Rule Book goes, you can use their Re-entry Rule. This allows for the one-time substitution of a starter in a game with that started still being eligible to be re-entered into the game.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, they did add a courtesy runner rule to their 2016 rule book. See rule 8-13:

Sec. 13. COURTESY RUNNERS: Only one courtesy runner per inning may be used. The courtesy runner will be the last recorded out. If it is the first inning of the game, no courtesy runner may be used until an out is recorded. If the courtesy runner is still on base when his/her turn to bat comes up, the original baserunner can take the place on base with no penalty. For mixed games, only the last male out can run for a male and only the last female out can run for a female.

Speed Demon

Part Time Player
Is that a new rule in 2016 for courtesy runners? That rule has been in place here in our co-Ed league for years. I'm surprised it wasn't "on the books" for USSSA already.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
It shouldn't be on the books. Book rules are written for championship play and in my opinion there is no reason a player should be batting and playing the field if they can't run the bases.