pitcher leg guards need reviews for samurai and schutt air maxx

LOB#34

need reviews between samurai G3 and schutt air maxx scorpions need the lightest weight and nothing too bulky i need to wear them under pants thats a must

MaverickAH

If we're talking about wearing for pitching, neither are, IMHO, optimal. A triple knee design, even if it's lightweight, is going to hamper mobility somewhat. A single knee design is better for the task.

Personally, I use the following combo:
  1. Honigs Soccer/Softball Shin Guards ($35.95)
  2. XProtex Deflectr Knee Guards ($9.99 ea.)
The Honigs protect the shins only & provide no knee protection. The Xprotex provide knee protection. The combo provides good protection with absolutely no restrictions on mobility. I've even used them to officiate youth baseball games when I didn't want to use traditional shin guards.

blakcherry329

It's all about personal preference. Lots of pitchers wear the full shin guards.

I wear something like what you wear Maverick.

1. G-Form Pro-X shin guards-got them for $30
  2. Bike softball knee pads-$5 a piece.

blakcherry329

It's all about personal preference. Lots of pitchers wear the full shin guards.

I wear something like what you wear Maverick.

1. G-Form Pro-X shin guards-got them for $30
  2. Bike softball knee pads-$5 a piece.
UPDATE

As far as pitching goes...This ain't cutting it. lol

While it will keep you from getting broken bones, you will still get injured on direct hits.

I took a one hopper directly off the knee. It kept my knee cap intact, however, I was on the DL for 2 weeks from the bruise it left.

In conclusion, This setup is ok for fielders, but inadequate for pitchers.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
What ball? I would never wear anything without a solid outer layer or cap for anything we play with.

blakcherry329

It was a Classic M. Never been hit so directly before. It was my own fault for not thinking he was going to swing.
Yeah, lesson learned. Hard shell and full leg support from now on. lol

Look at motocross or field hockey guards. There are also a couple of really long threads on here with lots of reviews.

I'm looking for something now but I've got like 20 inches of shin to cover...

blakcherry329

Look at motocross or field hockey guards. There are also a couple of really long threads on here with lots of reviews.

I'm looking for something now but I've got like 20 inches of shin to cover...
yeah, I looked into the Mountain Bike shin guards. I ordered "Adult" size and they were about 10" too short. what Adult is wearing these???

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
I got myself a pair of Fox Launch Knee/Shin guard combo's & they work great. Light weight, easy to remove/attach, hard outer shell. I got mine for about $50 a few years ago on the Am..... Not sure what deals are out there now but I think the list price was $69--well worth it. FYI-My L/XL's fit perfectly (I'm about 6' tall)
JJ

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah, I looked into the Mountain Bike shin guards. I ordered "Adult" size and they were about 10" too short. what Adult is wearing these???
If I ever decide to get knee shin guards they're either going to be catcher guards or Hockey shin guards. The hockey ones are popular around here, and they seem to have hooks instead of velcro so it's not a problem to take them on and off a lot more.

Old JB

Addicted to Softballfans
I have the Fox Launch BMX Knee/Shin guards. Good news, nice and light and fits well under softball pants. Bad news: took a line drive off the shin and was bruised for a week.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bruised through the guard or hit below the guard? Those are pretty good for impact, but they're designed for slipping pedals so most stop several inches above your shoe. That's the main area I'm buying guards for.

Last edited:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Through the guard. Just outside my shin. Ball was hit as hard as I have experienced.
I got a similar shot with my field hockey guards this past year, but it was a cut instead of a bruise. The hard plastic Shell has holes every so often for venting and it was hit so hard that it compressed the foam down and the edge of the hole in the plastic broke the skin.

By all means though, I hope we keep using classic ms so that every Tom **** and Harry can hit home runs.

oppotaco13

I'm going with ice hockey shin guards this year. Cover the knee and shin and are quick to put on and take off.

Old JB

Addicted to Softballfans
I got a similar shot with my field hockey guards this past year, but it was a cut instead of a bruise. The hard plastic Shell has holes every so often for venting and it was hit so hard that it compressed the foam down and the edge of the hole in the plastic broke the skin.

By all means though, I hope we keep using classic ms so that every Tom **** and Harry can hit home runs.
I play senior ball so the bats are juiced and we use the Rock softballs which go farther faster but also have the added feature of knuckling like a bastard. The ball that hit me was crack of bat, ball hit shin with no chance to step away nor get a glove on it. The guy who hit it said it was the hardest he had ever hit a softball.

Old JB

Addicted to Softballfans
I bought CCM hockey shin guards which protect well and go on easily. My problem is my spindly calves, the guards keep sliding down.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I play senior ball so the bats are juiced and we use the Rock softballs which go farther faster but also have the added feature of knuckling like a bastard. The ball that hit me was crack of bat, ball hit shin with no chance to step away nor get a glove on it. The guy who hit it said it was the hardest he had ever hit a softball.
Mine was hit hard, but it was just bad visibility. A field with not the greatest lights, it was particularly hazy, and I being lazy since it was league and I'd already injured my knee.

RECKLESSxRUBEN

you can also look into kickboxing/muay thai shin guards you can cut off the foot pad but they do not cover the knee. but there is companies out there that make some nice light weight ones that i could see working

WarHorse

Star Player
26u49l.jpg

wcoastsoftball

i'm not a fan of this sport turning pitchers into hockey goalies...
I play third and wear a rip it, wrist guard and cup. Actually was thinking of finding some shin pads, though not necessarily hockey or soccer shin guards. I won't pitch unless there is a screen.

blakcherry329

i'm not a fan of this sport turning pitchers into hockey goalies...

It is what it is, at this point. That ship has sailed.
Unless you play with Clinchers, then suit up.

you can also look into kickboxing/muay thai shin guards you can cut off the foot pad but they do not cover the knee. but there is companies out there that make some nice light weight ones that i could see working

LOL, did you not see my post above? I would not recommend any soft padding. You need the a hard plastic shell for maximum protection

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went with that hockey style, but mine definitely won't go under pants. Only one brand had a long enough strap to go around my calves. I still have a knot from a shot last year with my field hockey guards which do have the hard plastic shell. Classic ms are just nasty.

WiLD53

It is what it is, at this point. That ship has sailed.
Unless you play with Clinchers, then suit up...

i've decided to play dodge ball instead... i always liked it as a kid... :cool: