ASA Pitcher whips it overhand.

Jbird11

Last night, the pitcher was mouthing off play after play, and our team was winning fairly handily. YOu could tell he was frustrated.

Late in the game, our first two batters swing at bad pitches and 2 quick outs on 2 pitches.

Pitcher spouts off... "see, these guys aren't that good, lets have a 3 pitch inning"

Well, our next batter comes in the box and stands in there with the bat down in one hand, clearly challenging him to throw a strike, and says something about guaranteeing at least a 4-pitch inning.

The pitcher proceeds to fire in an overhand heater that skips past the catcher, 5-holes the ump and goes to the back stop..

2 questions. #1, does any ump actually let this joker stay in the game?

#2, is there a specific ruling that can be pointed out...justifying an ejection?

The pitcher happens to be the VP of our league, and our team is filing a complaint, that if a non-board member would've done this, they would've been tossed for sure, but board members are above the law.

Thanks.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I'd have tossed him in a ****ing heartbeat, VP or not.

It's nothing less than unsportsmanlike conduct.

spos21ram

The Legend
He would have been tossed in my league and if the umpire didn't toss him, he would be getting a call from me or one of my board members telling him he's suspended. If my VP did this he wouldn't receive any preferential treatment.

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
The pitcher happens to be the VP of our league, and our team is filing a complaint, that if a non-board member would've done this, they would've been tossed for sure, but board members are above the law.
You assume ... it is entirely possible that the ump is just a wuss. Have you seen others do the same thing and not get tossed?

spos21ram

The Legend
You assume ... it is entirely possible that the ump is just a wuss. Have you seen others do the same thing and not get tossed?

I agree with this. That ump probably wouldn't have tossed anyone in that situation. If for some reason some other pitcher doers this in the future and is tossed by the same umpire then you have a rightful complaint.

In past years in my league we have had all different types of umpires which can cause teams to think there is bias and preferential treatment going on. If you have a strict umpire he will throw guys out for less, then when you have a passive ump who lets everything go, then they will get accused of being bias because people will be saying "why didn't he get thrown out? My player did the same exact thing and got tossed yesterday".

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Pitcher needs to be tossed 100% of the time, this is dangerous for the batter, the umpire, and the catcher. Sounds like someone was suffering from a bruised ego from his team getting their ass handed to them, dbag move for sure did anything else relevant happen after that?

Jbird11

Pitcher needs to be tossed 100% of the time, this is dangerous for the batter, the umpire, and the catcher. Sounds like someone was suffering from a bruised ego from his team getting their ass handed to them, dbag move for sure did anything else relevant happen after that?

No, they went 1-2-3 and we 10'd them.

Jbird11

As a side note... after filing my complaint, the pitcher is now claiming the overhand throw wasn't that hard, more like a lob. Would that influence the umps that said they'd toss him? If it was actually was a softer overhand throw?

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
It shouldn't affect anything. It's still considered unsportsmanlike conduct, which is the cause of the ejection.

old

Banned User
I would have asked him to throw one more just like that, but a little closer to the strike zone.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
As a side note... after filing my complaint, the pitcher is now claiming the overhand throw wasn't that hard, more like a lob. Would that influence the umps that said they'd toss him? If it was actually was a softer overhand throw?

Unsportsmanlike Conduct is up to the umpire discretion, I can see a legit argument to toss him from the game for throwing any pitch overhand. At the same time I can also see a situation where an umpire would not do anything or tell the pitcher to knock it off and be in the right. If the pitcher is making a joke with his buddy and he throws a pitch like 8 year old coach pitch, I dont see a need for an ejection, he isn't putting anyone else in danger and and its not an attempt to be confrontational. No need for the umpire to start a conflict that wasnt there by tossing the pitcher, a nice warning to knock it off works better for everyone than an ejection.

OPs situation is not the situation above. 98mph fastball or 18mph lob pitch he was still throwing overhand to say FU to the batter, either way in OPs story pitcher should be tossed.

cyoung187

Coach
All umps are different with unsportsmanlike conduct. Some will eject/warn you for most anything, some will never take any charge. I wish it would be called more often, make people act less like complete douchebags at games.

Saw a 3rd base coach pretty much screaming at a 3B who was making a play on a grounder the other day. Blue didn't say a thing.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I know it's tough to see as I umpire too, but unsportsmanlike conduct based upon the fact it almost hit the umpire. He/she cannot simply deny what twenty+ people saw happen.

Unless it's something specifically mentioned in the rules, what is or is not considered unsportsmanlike conduct is purely a judgment call.

Can you protest whether or not something should be considered unsportsmanlike conduct?

Can't protest judgment calls.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
I love this game :D

Should have swung, missed and let the bat fly in his direction. Give the fans something to see!!

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
I love this game :D

Should have swung, missed and let the bat fly in his direction. Give the fans something to see!!
Nah...you just wait until that P gets up, then bring in your SS or 3B to throw one a foot behind his head, haha.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I'm still a little shocked that in this day of softball this pitcher didnt get a couple of line drives at his head. At least that what would happen where I live.

joesmoe2012

Insane Dedication
I understand the point the op is making. I just find it funny we grow up playing baseball and now complain about an overhand pitch.

Strawberry

Shin Killer
Yeah an over hand pitch when you're not wearing a helmet... Don't make it a whining thing but if I would have been there he would have had the same thing done to him. Hard for him to be an executive of the league and then do that. No matter what, umpire has to control the game. To me it sounds like he let it go and that was in my judgement wrong. He slipped

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
We've got a pitcher on a tournament team around here that will throw a fit and chuck a fastball overhanded if he doesn't get a call or two he thinks he should have. Seen him do it more than once. I hope he does that to me and leaves it out over the plate about waist high. I bet he'll never do it again. ;)