pitchers...don't you hate it when:

I Throw Strikes

going on strike
My team just goes middle if i get multiple hard balls hit at me. I don't have to say ****.

yeah mine is the same way...they ask if its cool..but I told them no need to get all that stirred up for a couple of guys trying to impress each other. The other team mates were asking if I was alright after the game, telling me I pitched well...so no need to piss off a whole team because of a couple spoiled sports

It's about fun, of course winning is fun. but someone getting hurt playing a recreational sport is not worth it. people have families, work and things to do the next day and for that kind of maliciousness is uncalled for in my opinion.

I Throw Strikes

going on strike
if the middle is open go for it....the "middle" is a part of the field. but intentionally going for "the pitcher" with the intent to injure is completely different. I faced 9 other guys that were hitting it way better than them and was not "skerred"...I pitched both games with no problem. even knowing that he was trying to "get me" didn't faze me. I didn't say "I dont like it when the big bad men hit middle on me...mommy". I said I don't like it when a douche with a complex is trying to rattle my cage so I can pitch him home run pitches.

I Throw Strikes

going on strike
I've also in tournaments told a pitcher that I will mostly likely hit it back up the middle, and if i hit him its not intentional at all, most guys respect that. Usually say I got a glove or something alnog this lines. Some instances it opened up the 5-6 and or 4-3 holes a little more

I'm with them...I have the glove and protective gear in place just in case I cant field one. but that doesn't mean I'm up there with a bulleye between my eyes with a sign saying "d-bags aim here".

I'm a grown ass man and I assume the risks that come with the game. but for me to be intentionally targeted bothers me.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
i'm not a trash talking pitcher...

Just on the interwebz then I guess :rolleyes:

If you're THAT worried about it, just walk them. They told you it was coming so if you still weren't ready that's on you!

If the guys are as DB as you're trying to say, walking them will piss them off in a manner way more safe than throwing a ball at them. Seriously, if anyone threw a ball at me intentionally, that is the one scenario I would consider fighting over (especially if it hit me).

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
so only pitchers are supposed to hit middle? so since i play first base should i try to blow up first base? i dont get wtf the OP is trying to say. this thread sucks real bad.

I Throw Strikes

going on strike
Just on the interwebz then I guess :rolleyes:

If you're THAT worried about it, just walk them. They told you it was coming so if you still weren't ready that's on you!

If the guys are as DB as you're trying to say, walking them will piss them off in a manner way more safe than throwing a ball at them. Seriously, if anyone threw a ball at me intentionally, that is the one scenario I would consider fighting over (especially if it hit me).

yeah I guess I could have walked him...but like I said I'm not scared I pitched him the same way the whole time.

I agree with you totally...that is grounds for fighting. and in a real life scenario I would not do that, because that is a completely defenseless position for me to throw a ball at someone 30' away when they are not expecting it. (AGAIN, RANTING AND RAVING) I do have a glove, I get in a defensive stance after release. I know there is a percentage of a chance that a ball will come back at me. but again my point is, is the game that serious that someone really has to try and hit the pitcher, NOT go middle but swing with the intent to try and hit the pitcher??!!...if a league game is that "serious" that means they have no life and are d-bags. in my opinion... which is what we all state on the "interwebz":rolleyes:

TeamPlayer25

Addicted to Softballfans
Hitting middle is part of the game.
Throwing a ball at a runner is not!
truth.

anyone who hits a ball with the intention of trying to hurt the pitcher is a d-bag.
That said, unless you specifically hear the batter who does light up a pitcher make claims of that intention, you have NO valid reason to be upset and throw a ball at a guy.
As a pitcher you should expect a middle shot at any at bat. You have a glove, and nowadays most people have extra protection.
A batter/runner with little bat control has NO protective gear while running to first and has no expectation of having a ball thrown at him. Hell, unless you play in the conference, everyone has pitches they don't hit the way or direction they want to. Its called a "mis-hit".

I Throw Strikes

going on strike
so only pitchers are supposed to hit middle? so since i play first base should i try to blow up first base? i dont get wtf the OP is trying to say. this thread sucks real bad.

I'm sorry that this thread is that difficult to comprehend....:confused:

it's about guys that would never stand on the rubber think they are the doo doo because they shoot the middle but would never have the balls to play that position and enjoy the comforts of being 200+ feet away from the plate. So they don't know what its like to be intentionally targeted by some d-bags with juiced bats because hitting a 12" ball coming at them 10-20 miles an hour is so difficult to hit with a stock bat.

thanks for adding a comment to this sucky thread.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans

it's about guys that would never stand on the rubber think they are the doo doo because they shoot the middle but would never have the balls to play that position and enjoy the comforts of being 200+ feet away from the plate. So they don't know what its like to be intentionally targeted by some d-bags with juiced bats because hitting a 12" ball coming at them 10-20 miles an hour is so difficult to hit with a stock bat.

If it doesn't bother you, why make a thread about it? Either STFU or quit pitching. And this is coming from someone who has pitched for 18 years, and never complained about people hitting at me, intentional or not.

I Throw Strikes

going on strike
truth.

anyone who hits a ball with the intention of trying to hurt the pitcher is a d-bag.
That said, unless you specifically hear the batter who does light up a pitcher make claims of that intention, you have NO valid reason to be upset and throw a ball at a guy.
As a pitcher you should expect a middle shot at any at bat. You have a glove, and nowadays most people have extra protection.
A batter/runner with little bat control has NO protective gear while running to first and has no expectation of having a ball thrown at him. Hell, unless you play in the conference, everyone has pitches they don't hit the way or direction they want to. Its called a "mis-hit".

I'm with you on this. I've pitched long enough to know a mis-hit. there are A LOT of people with no bat control, especially in league play...I get that. I have no qualms against batters like that. this thread was about the d-bags that intentionally go after the pitcher, not the middle. just like my previous posts have talked about. it's about a guy who is telling his team, my team mates that "i better stop pitching him junk...or I'm going to hit him" that's what this whole rant was about. I guess it was a bit of a pride thing about "I'm not going to let him dictate what I throw" ...but I do expect the ball to come at me! even knowing its coming can still leave you susceptible to being hit. the ball off a standard utrip bat can reach the pitcher in about .33 seconds. get a stop watch and see how fast .33 seconds is, it's pretty much hitting start and stop. that's not much time.

I Throw Strikes

going on strike
If it doesn't bother you, why make a thread about it? Either STFU or quit pitching. And this is coming from someone who has pitched for 18 years, and never complained about people hitting at me, intentional or not.

I guess I should have been more specific on my first post for this thread. What bother's me it the maliciousness of it. like I said numerous times I'm not bothered by the middle being hit at, its apart of the field of play.

well good for you sir. that is quite a feat.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm with you on this. I've pitched long enough to know a mis-hit. there are A LOT of people with no bat control, especially in league play...I get that. I have no qualms against batters like that. this thread was about the d-bags that intentionally go after the pitcher, not the middle. just like my previous posts have talked about. it's about a guy who is telling his team, my team mates that "i better stop pitching him junk...or I'm going to hit him" that's what this whole rant was about. I guess it was a bit of a pride thing about "I'm not going to let him dictate what I throw" ...but I do expect the ball to come at me! even knowing its coming can still leave you susceptible to being hit. the ball off a standard utrip bat can reach the pitcher in about .33 seconds. get a stop watch and see how fast .33 seconds is, it's pretty much hitting start and stop. that's not much time.

Do you back up at all after you release the ball? Can usually get 10-12 feet back, which can be difference between snapping off and ko'd:eek:

Also, you can generally tell by pitch location, batters hips and bat direction if ball is gonna be at/near you, but as a rule, you should be ready every pitch.

Hardest I have ever been hit was with OG U2 and 47/525 ball, hit me right above ankle on outside part, so a little meat there. Aint gonna lie, it hurt:D

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess I should have been more specific on my first post for this thread. What bother's me it the maliciousness of it. like I said numerous times I'm not bothered by the middle being hit at, its apart of the field of play.

well good for you sir. that is quite a feat.

I just don't let actions of others dictate my emotions, especially on the softball field. Mental part of the game is just as important as physical, maybe more so since we are pitchers

I Throw Strikes

going on strike
Do you back up at all after you release the ball? Can usually get 10-12 feet back, which can be difference between snapping off and ko'd:eek:

Also, you can generally tell by pitch location, batters hips and bat direction if ball is gonna be at/near you, but as a rule, you should be ready every pitch.

Hardest I have ever been hit was with OG U2 and 47/525 ball, hit me right above ankle on outside part, so a little meat there. Aint gonna lie, it hurt:D

my first season of pitching I got hit right on my shin below just below my left knee...it hit so flush that the ball hit my leg and dropped at my feet. picked it up and through it to first. check my leg after the inning was through...it looked like the softball was lodged under my skin haha :eek:...(no lol at the time) not sure of the bat but damn if that thing didn't come quick! :eek::D lol. That's when I was learning to pitch and through nothing but meat balls. So I've since started wearing shin guards since I had a bruise that did not go away for 2 years or so.

I do know about location of the ball, in relation to the batters stance. but like in earlier post I said this guy was moving all over just to make sure he came back at me rather than taking the pitch and going with what's "natural".

depending on what "caliber" team I play...determines where I pitch from. hard hitting teams...I pitch with one foot on the rubber and I stand behind it...then when I release I back up a 2-3 steps while its in the air.

I was ready for all his hits...but just having the thought that this guy was intentionally coming at me was infuriating..."it's not that serious"

I Throw Strikes

going on strike
I just don't let actions of others dictate my emotions, especially on the softball field. Mental part of the game is just as important as physical, maybe more so since we are pitchers

you absolutely right about this ^^^^

I did not let my emotions show on the field and my teammates did not realize how mad I was...it was an internal stewing of it. You know how anger can get the best of us sometimes and make us say, think or do things we shouldn't...well that's where I was last night and with the thought of pegging the guy in retaliation. I had my opportunity...but I did not go through with it.

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans

I have no idea how you are getting '10-12' feet back after letting go of the ball. 4-5? Sure. 10-12?

gsus03

Banned User
I like when I am pitching and we are playing asa at a particular field out here where they don't chalk a batters box...guys that hit middle stand 5 feel off the plate that way even if you throw an inside strike, they can still blast it back up the middle
classic

gsus03

Banned User
for the record, i pitch for fun and mostly in lower leagues...guys that pitch for good competitive tourney teams my hat is off to you...when it comes to tournaments the middle is pretty much open as long as it isn't repeatedly done to injure the pitcher and the way guys hit I would ruin all my boombah pants from poo poo stains you can find me with my heels in the grass at 2b or somewhere in the outfield

Rd maul

Addicted to Softballfans
I tell you one thing about this thread I have never seen so many double posts in my life. Its called editing people.

Back on topic..Middle is open PERIOD. Either field or get out of the way. I am sick of these threads cause the guy pitching didnt protect him self with the proper gear and gets smoked and then continues to ***** about some douche bag hitting at him.....Protect yourself Snap him off or shut the **** up!

Last edited:

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

i just think that you're one of those nerdy ass pitchers who thinks he's better than everyone else cause he pitches and makes it seem like toughest thing to do on the whole planet. ur name is "i throw strikes" for **** sakes. do you wear #69 too? i like pitchers who just pitch and not whine like little girls. for the record, i dont play outfield nor do i pitch.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
I have no idea how you are getting '10-12' feet back after letting go of the ball. 4-5? Sure. 10-12?

I have lead foot on back of rubber, back foot is already 2 feet behind rubber, putting first step back at 4 feet easy, can get 4 steps easy and get set just as batter is starting swing. Geting set would be 5th step, but land on both feet in defensive position ready to snap a mutha off:D

Actually isn't that hard if you basically start behind rubber, just to of front foot on back of it, and don't step forward when you pitch. Since we don't run 5 man, makes it easy for SS and 2b to play deeper when runner on 1st knowing I will be at 2nd to take throw.

Another guy in our league is damn near to second base, or at least he was before we moved to 70' this year. He used to pitch for a utrip C travel tourney team from California before moving here.

ruffneck10

TEXAS MADE
I knw what u talking about ...if they r doing it and u throw it back at them isn't it the same?? They r trying to hit u?? This is a game ..all this its part of the game is bull .. someone that can hit stay out of the middle... It's all for fun nobody is getting paid anything but cheap shirts or a trophy...stay safe and have fun

natedd

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm with them...I have the glove and protective gear in place just in case I cant field one. but that doesn't mean I'm up there with a bulleye between my eyes with a sign saying "d-bags aim here".

I'm a grown ass man and I assume the risks that come with the game. but for me to be intentionally targeted bothers me.

i have heard d bags say they are gonna hit it at me cause i have my mask on! Funny thing is as i get to know more of these guys they all admit using shaved bats and still go at pitchers with them.

I Throw Strikes

going on strike
i just think that you're one of those nerdy ass pitchers who thinks he's better than everyone else cause he pitches and makes it seem like toughest thing to do on the whole planet. ur name is "i throw strikes" for **** sakes. do you wear #69 too? i like pitchers who just pitch and not whine like little girls. for the record, i dont play outfield nor do i pitch.

yeah...i made that name up 6 years ago or so...couldn't think of nothing witty at the time..:rolleyes: that's what pitchers are asked to do right..."throw strikes and let the defense make the plays"...sounded good at the time

if you read an earlier post...I made a point to not over glorify pitching...it's throwing a ball under hand 60'...nothing overly complicated about that.

Don't have a 6 but I do have the 9

and when I'm on the rubber I don't talk...I pitch the damn ball and continue the game. Again if you read an earlier post...i didn't let my team know what i was thinking... "read....then write"...just a thought

I Throw Strikes

going on strike
How many times did this rc fielder blow middle? Your story seems like he got 12 at bats off you.

well that about right...when you play double headers...

if you read any of the earlier posts...I've mentioned "first" and "second" games

"read...then write" just a thought