Pitchers wear your mask at all times PLEASE

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Our 3rd baseman took a bad hop from a 44/375 to his face last night. Thank goodness he had his mask on.

The 52 is bouncier, but from what I've seen once you adjust it's easier to catch it on the hop. In my experience the 44 and especially the Classic M 40 have a tendency to hug the ground right until they get to you and then jump up.

The new "smart balls"?

Didn't know they had AI inside softballs :rolleyes: :D :p

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually mean the old balls, but you know you never remember the ones people catch. You only remember the bad hops that almost take your head off.

.800King50

Addicted to Softballfans
How do you know the bat was cut was it taken?

Yes it was taken.. I actually walked with the bat to the office. The guy that hit it told me " I'm almost certain that bat is shaved my team just told me to swing it and now told me to get out of the park" he stayed and even offered to take me to the Er . Young kid I don't think he knew any better. That being said I'm sure he will face consequences

alteredzx

Bazinga
Yes it was taken.. I actually walked with the bat to the office. The guy that hit it told me " I'm almost certain that bat is shaved my team just told me to swing it and now told me to get out of the park" he stayed and even offered to take me to the Er . Young kid I don't think he knew any better. That being said I'm sure he will face consequences

Thats rough right there for the kid. At least he was a man about it and stayed there. Others probably would have run. Not trying to play off the seriousness of the what happened. He will face consequences and so should the owner of the bat. If the owner doesnt fess up to it, then take the whole team down.

hope you recover quick. Be safe out there.

KYounglas25

Extra Hitter
Yeah the first season I played, a few years ago, I pitched and had a few close calls... if I ever pitch again i'll be sure to invest in a mask!

teddersx6

Go Pack Go!!!!!!
My back up pitcher took a soft knuckle ball off of his chin a while back at the end of the season. That was the reason I finally got one. He sent around a picture of the day after. He still has no feeling on the top of his mouth and some of his sinus's. I have not grabbed any shin guards or wrist guards yet. I will hold off on those until later.

I wouldn't hold off on shin guards too long.....buddy playing short on a league team a lil while ago....took a bad hop off his shin bone.....hit em so hard he had a blood clot. They had to do emergency surgery to drain it. Shin guards are now made that ppl can't tell if you have them on or not. Just my advice bro

HiloGuy808

<font color="#EE0000">SBF HAWAII SUPPORTER</font>
Get your shin guards for the sbf store thanks

BTW get ur mask as well too

sweetswing4

Addicted to Softballfans
Get well soon bro. Actually just ordered a mask after reading this. Been thinkin of it for a while now. Took one off the forhead in a charity hr derby this summer n still didnt wear one after. Just not worth the risk. Btw was a 44/400 reebok ball off a sr reebok melee that was on its last legs, luckily it hit and split the brim of my hat.

KYounglas25

Extra Hitter
I purchased some cheap shin guards from Walmart, but ended up playing first base instead of pitching so i never wore them. I'd probably consider wearing them in the field if i play more than just rec, but if i ever do pitch i'm gonna use my old lacrosse helmet or buy a mask if i have some extra cash!

Code3

I pitch myself out here on the Wc. Utrip,Asa,Nsa etc etc, I never wanted to wear a mask/helmet because I felt it restricted my vision/movement. Going into the 2013 season I will not take the field without one. I've heard of and seen too many pitchers get injured. Shin guards and wrist guards will be on hold for now. Get well bro and thanks for sharing and trying to educate us.

kweiss

Addicted to Softballfans
Agreed on everything said in this thread.

I wear my mask always, no exceptions. I've worn mine against coed teams using a hammer. Just not at all worth the risk, and at this point I've gotten so used to wearing one that I'd feel lost without it.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
Masks are like condoms they're ****ing gay.

How long till you get banned again?

First time it's a strike. Second you're out no matter what the count. That's per at bat. We start 0-0 no foul.

As a pitcher I don't like it because weak hits that I'd catch are now do overs, but as a hitter I'd much rather have it to swing away. Especially when we have to combine leagues because of low participation.

Get well soon bro.

I wouldn't mind a screen if it was just for a strike. Auto-out is stupid...just my opinion. While good for pitchers I hope we never go to a screen.

You guys shouldn't pitch if you're scared you have to have confidence jmo but y'all are ****ing gay

Nothing to do with being scared. As far as being gay. I have seen your dance video. You can be the residential expert.

Get your shin guards for the sbf store thanks

BTW get ur mask as well too

I laughed.

MarcTheArc

<font color="#000080">Arc Angels Softball</font>
Been wearing one since Spring 2010, and before you ask...I didn't wait until I got hit in the face to wear one.

MarcTheArc

<font color="#000080">Arc Angels Softball</font>
i wouldn't hold off on shin guards too long.....buddy playing short on a league team a lil while ago....took a bad hop off his shin bone.....hit em so hard he had a blood clot. They had to do emergency surgery to drain it. Shin guards are now made that ppl can't tell if you have them on or not. Just my advice bro

got back into playing 10 years ago and at first didn't wear shin guards...until I read about a pitcher having his shin shattered at a tourney.....nuff said

Newtothegame

Not looking for a team
Been wearing one since Spring 2010, and before you ask...I didn't wait until I got hit in the face to wear one.

I recall playing with you and you wore nothing but a Vinci glove.. :D

Its weird, but that was what 4 years ago maybe.. You didnt see many people around here wearing anything. Now its weird if you see pitchers without anything.

tmowell

Addicted to Softballfans
Just cant find ones that are comfortable and Ill wear shorts up until Dec here. Never thought of wrist guards until I seen it mentioned in another thread. Ill still probably not use anything other than a face shield. Ive been very lucky on the mound and Im sure others have also. Seeing the pics makes you sit back and think though.

Wrist guard for me every time after fractured wrist.

TXOutlaws

Coach
Now its weird if you see pitchers without anything.

I wish it was that way around here.

I know a lot of folks who don't wear it because they don't want to hear someone talk some crap.

Who cares... protect yourself, screw the others, they won't pay for your medical bills.

country7

Addicted to Softballfans
its getting better around here in tourneys, i started wearing mine in 2010 to some jibbing, but soon after people started asking me about mine and more started wearing them..i never wore mine in league but honestly we have some sick sticks here in league and with less bat control by league guys so now after this i will be wearing mine religiously,...get well soon gill, the POSSSSEEEE needs you lool

Newtothegame

Not looking for a team

I know a lot of folks who don't wear it because they don't want to hear someone talk some crap.

Who cares... protect yourself, screw the others, they won't pay for your medical bills.

We had a guy in league that had a helmet on... for some reason, prob just reaction.. turned his head on a ball up the middle and the ball hit him and broke his jaw.

He pitched usssa C.. worlds, won MVP's ect... played at a high tournament level for years and still does. Very good defensively.

His former team won C worlds this year.

hitsone

You should never let anyone's negative comments stop you from protecting yourself.
I too am guilty of not always suiting up, something I hope to do regularly next season.

sorry to read of all the injuries.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You should never let anyone's negative comments stop you from protecting yourself.
I too am guilty of not always suiting up, something I hope to do regularly next season.

sorry to read of all the injuries.

If you'd heard the sound the ball made off my third baseman's face two years ago you'd never have a problem suiting up again.

1st Baseman

Addicted to Softballfans
Pitcher Protection

I agree w/ this. Take care of yourself, nobody else will.

frdvschvy

Addicted to Softballfans

/\ This. I get plenty of idiots running their mouths about my Worth helmet/mask. I embrace it. My new jerseys are being ordered with the name "Iron Maiden" :D