Pitching Helmets

KYounglas25

Extra Hitter
I'm wondering when other companies will start making pitching helmets/masks? I use an old lacrosse helmet myself, but have been looking to upgrade. Partly since I can't find it. I like the Worth option, but its always sold out. I don't know why other companies don't have their own line out? They seem to sell well.

Any ideas?

blakcherry329

I'm wondering when other companies will start making pitching helmets/masks? I use an old lacrosse helmet myself, but have been looking to upgrade. Partly since I can't find it. I like the Worth option, but its always sold out. I don't know why other companies don't have their own line out? They seem to sell well.

Any ideas?
Why are you looking to get away from a LAX helmet? I love mine and it's about 6-7 years old

Normy

The Worth is comfortable no doubt. Not sure of the quality control aspect upon impact. Hope to never find out.

KYounglas25

Extra Hitter
I bought an Easton catcher's helmet. The new ones are much better ventilated.
I'm contemplating that route as well.

My main question on this topic, is why don't other companies have a pitching helmet out? They seem to sell well.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm contemplating that route as well.

My main question on this topic, is why don't other companies have a pitching helmet out? They seem to sell well.
With all due respect to all my friends that play the game, they're probably just underestimating the stupidity of the average softball player. Paying $100 dollars for a slightly less protective catchers mask that can be had for much less? That's a great idea! Look, it says pitching and slowpitch in the description!

Secondly, they may be assuming one day the associations will pull their heads out of their asses and helmets for pitchers won't be necessary any more. Little league pitchers started getting hurt and the world erupted and everything changed and may be changing again, but adults have to suit up like a hockey goalie and nobody bats an eye.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
With all due respect to all my friends that play the game, they're probably just underestimating the stupidity of the average softball player. Paying $100 dollars for a slightly less protective catchers mask that can be had for much less? That's a great idea! Look, it says pitching and slowpitch in the description!

Secondly, they may be assuming one day the associations will pull their heads out of their asses and helmets for pitchers won't be necessary any more. Little league pitchers started getting hurt and the world erupted and everything changed and may be changing again, but adults have to suit up like a hockey goalie and nobody bats an eye.
The "average guy" doesn't have to suit up like a goalie for the most part. Those are the guys retailed to

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
i agree with you. I'm just saying that the majority of softball guys are not on softball forums talking about bats, gloves, helmets, etc. or playing on weekends for that matter
True, but league sand bagging is the worst, and it's becoming a problem.
The gentleman's agreements about middle are becoming a thing of the past and the balls and bats are just getting better.
Five years ago leagues were more separated because more people played. Up here now we hit classic Ms, it's cool to cold way more often than not, and as fewer people sign up for leagues there's just more combining if leagues.

Average Joe is the guy that gets hit and never plays again and tells everyone he knows why. That hurts participation.

We had a team in ga register as lower, go undefeated in a combined league including beating every upper team, appeal to play the post season in the lower, and won their appeal. The league players need more protection from the associations if anything.

Normy

My only goal this year is to leave the field in the same condition as I arrived in the parking lot. Everybody gives me crap and even nicknamed me "robo" for using all the protective gear on the mound. They can call me everything but a white man, safety first.

blakcherry329

My only goal this year is to leave the field in the same condition as I arrived in the parking lot. Everybody gives me crap and even nicknamed me "robo" for using all the protective gear on the mound. They can call me everything but a white man, safety first.
People still do that??? When I first wore my helmet they said where's my bike and stuff like that. But nowadays everyone realizes ****'s real out there. Safety first.

sosa2314

Laser show
People still do that??? When I first wore my helmet they said where's my bike and stuff like that. But nowadays everyone realizes ****'s real out there. Safety first.

Agreed, people used to run their mouth about me as I was the first pitcher on the block to wear a mask. Now several do and in some leagues its mandatory. I wish we had make it that way. Its real out there for the pitchers and corner infielders.

MaStEr IrOc

Agreed, people used to run their mouth about me as I was the first pitcher on the block to wear a mask. Now several do and in some leagues its mandatory. I wish we had make it that way. Its real out there for the pitchers and corner infielders.

I just started wearing my mask this week. A lot of people asking why and if I have gotten hit before. I made the decision because I took a liner right off the kneecap first game this season. No damage luckily, which is kinda crazy. (.44 375 ball square to the kneecap. Came back in after 1 inning and had full mobility and no bruising the next day.) But I would rather not be my face next time. Too much risk to not protect yourself.

Hoping people will follow suit even though no one else in my league wears one. It's just a basic mask covering my face, nothing for neck or top of head, but at least it's something.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish the game wasn't at a point where people think helmets for fielders should be mandatory.

WiLD53

i have to admit... i wore my helmet about 5 games ago for one inning and took it off... haven't even tried it again since... i suppose i should at least go back to warming up with it until i get used to it... but i get the feeling i'm going to get hit a lot more in the legs than usual... anything on the ground seems to disapear for a moment when it gets to where the face mask is... :cool:

Normy

i have to admit... i wore my helmet about 5 games ago for one inning and took it off... haven't even tried it again since... i suppose i should at least go back to warming up with it until i get used to it... but i get the feeling i'm going to get hit a lot more in the legs than usual... anything on the ground seems to disapear for a moment when it gets to where the face mask is... :cool:
I suppose I watched one too many YouTube videos of guys getting smoked in the face. Along with a teammate getting drilled in the melon on 3rd base last year. Just not worth the risk.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It forces me to put my head down and field it like you're supposed to for sure.

blakcherry329

What kind of helmet? I have perfect vision with mine.

AntonChigurh

Worth makes what seems to be a pretty good mask. I’d either do that or a catchers mask.

I played college lacrosse, and those helmets are designed for lacrosse. Better than nothing though.

blakcherry329

I confident that a lacrosse helmet will stop a softball. Lacrosse balls are way more dense and would cause way more damage, imo.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I confident that a lacrosse helmet will stop a softball. Lacrosse balls are way more dense and would cause way more damage, imo.
TWMCcoy said in the other thread, I believe, that he saw one hit and it split in two. Still going to protect you for that hit, but you have to come out after.

I'd like a fastpitch catcher's helmet if women could get bigger heads so they start making one to fit me.

AntonChigurh

TWMCcoy said in the other thread, I believe, that he saw one hit and it split in two. Still going to protect you for that hit, but you have to come out after.

I'd like a fastpitch catcher's helmet if women could get bigger heads so they start making one to fit me.
They’re not designed for that type of use, it’s a totally different idea.

But, it’s better than nothing .