Pitching mask in co ed

freonfreak82

Star Player
I know it's a no brainer in men's at any level. I've pitched for 3 years in both and never had one near my head.. Lucky I know.. I've gotten to where I primarily play co ed a couple times a week... Simply rec league a tourney here and there but nothing really. There's always those jackasses that gotta prove something. No one at all has worn one in the time I've played, but the more I think about it the more sense it makes.. I'd rather look slightly silly and be able to walk off the field than chance it... What are y'all's opinions on using a mask in co ed?

leftyno12

The Veteran
I've played co-ed 3 years, mostly as a Pitcher, and NO I would not consider it. But I play hockey with a 1/2 shield, took a slap shot to my face and got ten stitches inside and out. Went back to wearing a 1/2 shield after. SO I guess either I'm stupid or just too proud!!!

Justice2318

Addicted to Softballfans
I pitch in Men's and Coed, league and tournaments. I always wear my helmet. In fact last Sunday in a Coed tournament took one of the helmet just above my left eye, I got the glove up to just about in front of my nose before it hit the helmet. I hate to think what would have happened had I not had the helmet on.

freonfreak82

Star Player
Yeah I'm thinking so... Just wear one. I really like the look of the worth mask but the catcher in me wants to just get a catchers mask.. Like the mizuno samurai... Too much? Really have no one to ask

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
You can never have TOO MUCH protection for your face and head. I think the face masks only like the combat and the worths are the very minimum pitchers should wear. Worth makes a very comfortable helmet with mask and a goalie style catchers mask would not be a bad idea either.

I wear a Worth Pitchers helmet every time I pitch.. I took a line drive to the face.. by a male in a 5/5 Co-ed Tournament 3 Octobers ago.

I have strongly been considering a mask lately for co-Ed. Been considering wearing one in rec as well. I have thought about the Worth Pitchers mask, purely because it looks like it offers the most protection. But after much searching and thinking, I am going to go with a Lacrosse Helmet. Simply because if I shot comes back to me, and it gets me off guard. The first thing I'm going to do is turn my head, so I want the back of my head protected as much as possible as well.

I've figured the more I take the mound, the more likely I am to get one that I can't get. Odds are not in my favor, the more I play. So I will be making my purchase sometime during the winter, so I can practice with it, and be adjusted before Spring starts.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Mask is always a solid choice... no matter the level. Big thing about playing lower levels is the idiots with no bat control who think they're the best of the best. Unless I'm playing a team full of non athletic goobers I mask up.

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans
Since when did one's outward appearance take president over safety and medical bills? A helmet/mask is a cheap piece of insurance.

JuiceyJay

Three Six Mafia
If you think people in coed rec have enough bat control to not accidentally hit it at you that you are an idiot, also if you think there are people who play coed that can't hit bombs than again...idiot.

You already answered your own question. And pitching wearing a safety mask isnt silly. Pitching wearing a sombrero is silly.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
When will you guys learn....it's not the tournament player you have to worry about...it's the rec player who only swings when it's game night that you have to worry about. You're always only one pitch away from a life altering accident.

freonfreak82

Star Player
I usually only wear a sombrero on really sunny days.. Obvious reasons lol. But seriously I do think a mask is a definite.. Totally agree with you guys on who cares what other idiots think, ad the rec player that has zero control is who you need to worry about... So the guys that wear em... I really like the look of the worth mask, also considering a catchers helmet... Any pros cons one way or the other?

///////////////
If you think you should wear one, wear one. Who gives a **** what other people think?

Exactly what I was thinking. You never know when there's gonna be a shot up the middle. I'm just a wuss do whatever it takes to not pitch.

comike14

Addicted to Softballfans
Always wear something. I wear my mask in coed when pitching.. I don't care what people think

chirotob

I don't care where I pitch, when I pitch or why... I always wear my mask.

Personally, as a former catcher, I was always comfortable with that mask/helmet so when time came I got this one:

a34-649.jpg

I've been called everything from Darth Vader to Lord Helmet... and I couldn't give to craps. Let em judge...just keep yourself safe.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
I know it's a no brainer in men's at any level. I've pitched for 3 years in both and never had one near my head.. Lucky I know.. I've gotten to where I primarily play co ed a couple times a week... Simply rec league a tourney here and there but nothing really. There's always those jackasses that gotta prove something. No one at all has worn one in the time I've played, but the more I think about it the more sense it makes.. I'd rather look slightly silly and be able to walk off the field than chance it... What are y'all's opinions on using a mask in co ed?
Don't throw a pitch without one, even in BP, unless you have a screen. And even then it make sense to wear, in order to get more comfortable with it.

I've played co-ed 3 years, mostly as a Pitcher, and NO I would not consider it. But I play hockey with a 1/2 shield, took a slap shot to my face and got ten stitches inside and out. Went back to wearing a 1/2 shield after. SO I guess either I'm stupid or just too proud!!!
Too stupid. I don't know how old you are, but if you're providing for a family, you're putting their welfare at risk as well. It's just not worth it.

When will you guys learn....it's not the tournament player you have to worry about...it's the rec player who only swings when it's game night that you have to worry about. You're always only one pitch away from a life altering accident.
It's both you have to worry about. Can't let your guard down for any batter.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It really depends on what you're talking about. 14" Big Ball I wouldn't wear it. Coed where the guys have to bat opposite handed I wouldn't wear it. Regular coed where you alternate balls, I would. We're allowed 3 homeruns in our league and we've hit the limit every game but one. If you think 300' power is enough to cause a problem at 50' in a men's league then it's the same in coed.

freonfreak82

Star Player
so now its just a matter of figuring out what mask to wear.. seems like most are going for the worth mask i tried on a lacrosse helmet and it was a little obtrusive, havent tried on a catchers mask yet but im sure itd be the same way...

Justice2318

Addicted to Softballfans
I used to have a lacrosse mask I know have the Worth Mask/Helmet. I prefer the worth it is very light and it stays in place which I think could/would be an issue with a catcher's mask.

rocketman98

Starting Player
Some of my worst middle shot have come in rec coed. If its not the guy with no bat control, then it is the guy that wants to impress the cute girl. Either way wearing a helmet is a good idea. I have a LAX helmet. It can get hot at times, but I feel safe with it.