Pitching mat?

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm gonna be our pitcher this session and could certainly use a little practice. Is there an official mat size, and if not, how about some recommendations. I want to be able to set up in the back yard and throw a few buckets and know how I'm doing.

csk415

Addicted to Softballfans
seriously you can't just walk it off and practice hitting a target, of anything?

That works if your not pitching to a mat. Without the mat its the umps decision if its a strike or not. Mats are different. If it hits the mat its a strike (as long as it meets the height). Not as easy as you think to hit the corners on the mat for a strike. Have to practice hitting multiple targets. Chunking a ball to a bucket is great for a BP pitch.

hitsone

Up here in the Great White North the official strike mat is 22" X 40".
Pitching distance is 50' to 65' in a 2' corridor
It is placed over the home plate so the closest edge on the front is even with the front of the plate.

Pitching to a mat is great for pitchers as we do not have to have the ball cross over the plate to be a strike.
You can work curves inside or outside as long as they land on the mat.
In senior you get mostly low arc just to the very front of the mat/plate,or,
High deep right to the back edge.
Inside sliders to the inside front corner are real killers.
At first work on hitting the corners, edges. Then add a few "junk" pitches.
Remember as your pitches will be wider there may be more hits up the middle,
Armour up, cup, shin/knee guards, favemask/helmet, wrist guard. Even a chest protector is a good idea.
Enjoy, but don't forget your coverages

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
I'm gonna be our pitcher this session and could certainly use a little practice. Is there an official mat size, and if not, how about some recommendations. I want to be able to set up in the back yard and throw a few buckets and know how I'm doing.

Do u know if your league is going to call a ball hitting the home plate a strike? That makes a big difference.
1) Senior softball is the only sanctioned league that I am aware of that officially uses a mat and it is 19" X 34" (which includes home plate)
2) Most mats which include home plate as a strike are 17" X 25.5" (giving a 17" X 34" strike zone)
3) If the ball has to hit behind home plate to be a strike it gets a little more confusing due to the triangle shape of the back of home plate. These usually come in @ 17" by 34" (36")-has to hit the front corners of the strike mat to be a strike (if it hits home plate in the triangle area without touching any part of the strike mat it is a ball).

Every league can have there own specific rules on this so its always a good idea to see what your specific league says. For practice purposes its always good to error on the smaller side. I would think using a mat with a 17" X 34" strike zone would suffice (17" X 25.5" if u want to include home plate as a strike, 17" by 34" if it isn't
JJ

FYI-personally speaking, I think a 23" X 36" strike zone mat is ideal.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Our league will not be using a mat. I will only be pitching one night per week and figured that when practicing alone a mat would probably give me a enter idea about whether I was throwing strikes than just guessing. Also, they do tend to reference where the ball lands from time to time, but it thinks it's mostly out of laziness/giving you less reason to complain. If the ball doesn't go behind the tip of the plate, it is usually not called a strike.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Well,I have found even within the same league different umpires have dramatically different strike zones. Some call true ASA strikes (passing the batter between his/her front shoulder & rear knee), some call where it lands (on or directly behind home plate, width of home plate, and some are a little more lenient widening the strike zone to the insides lines of the batters box.

If you want to get a good ideal of where you are throwing sounds like the 17" X 25.5" mat behind home plate is the way to go for practice.

Legend 94

Addicted to Softballfans
Up here in the Great White North the official strike mat is 22" X 40".
Pitching distance is 50' to 65' in a 2' corridor
It is placed over the home plate so the closest edge on the front is even with the front of the plate.

Pitching to a mat is great for pitchers as we do not have to have the ball cross over the plate to be a strike.
You can work curves inside or outside as long as they land on the mat.
In senior you get mostly low arc just to the very front of the mat/plate,or,
High deep right to the back edge.
Inside sliders to the inside front corner are real killers.
At first work on hitting the corners, edges. Then add a few "junk" pitches.
Remember as your pitches will be wider there may be more hits up the middle,
Armour up, cup, shin/knee guards, favemask/helmet, wrist guard. Even a chest protector is a good idea.
Enjoy, but don't forget your coverages

I wouldn't say that the 22" x 40" mat is the "official strike mat" it's simply the size that SPN chose to be different than the other associations by finally going to a mat after all the complaints of poor calling of the strike zone in "the Great White North". I'd consider the "standard size" mat to be 24" x 36" personally based on most of the tournaments we see in Ontario that draw the premier teams. Now if they could only find a cooler place to store the balls so they aren't like hitting a rolled up pair of socks and teach the umpires what a 6'-12' arc truly looks like. We played the Provincial (state) Championships with a ball that was mushy as sh*t and the height for some games was closer to 12'-22' than 6-12... It just makes a travesty of the game. /rant

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
It's primarily to practice hitting the spot that I want to hit, but having a good idea of a strike vs ball call will obviously be beneficial, and it's easier to judge on a mat than on a non-existent/imaginary batter.

If they don't count the plate as a strike, should I use a 17x25.5" rectangle behind the plate or a 17x36" rectangle behind the plate?

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
You're better off taping a rectangle approximately the height from knees to shoulder against a wall and pitching it to hit in that rectangle.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
If you're a new pitcher forget pinpoint accuracy until you get a consistent release. A bucket can help with that, because if the balls are in a ring with a 10' circumference, you're likely not going to be able to throw a strike in a crucial situation. It takes some guys weeks or longer, and other people five pitches to get the feel down. Once you get the technique down, you'll be able to locate the ball much easier.

The only difference when I threw a knuckleball or a basic lob was what I did with my pitching hand in the last foot before my release. Who cares if you know to throw a knucklespincurvedroppedbyangels pitch if it doesn't get over the plate. Everybody here suggesting placement are dead on. If you can go flat and outside, deep and inside, and everything in between, you will be very difficult to hit solidly. Don't use a pitch you can't throw for a strike. If you're consistently around they'll have to swing at some junk, though.

There are two videos Mike Macenko put up on Youtube over the winter. First off, you know he got his ass into one because his hip wasn't happy and he ever so slightly stumbled on his follow through. I played on that field for over a decade and NEVER saw anyone else hit the fence behind RF, let alone put one into the yard. I cleared those trees, but that was with a redlining Blur. Still not close.

Anyway, back on target. The two guys pitching to him are up near the best I've seen. And all they do is locate. And both have made me (and a lot of people, to be fair) look stupid. Actually the oldest of the two was pitching in a Texas shootout and one of the teams said if he pitched against them they'd try to hit him. They swapped pitchers. I tended to run tourney teams that were a bit... ghetto. They didn't like that so we hung out in their bleachers for awhile.

Anyway, location.

Mask and shinguards at the VERY least. And if you lay an average size batbag down it's pretty close to a strike zone.