Pitching questions - search for me noobs

Bro Mo

Addicted to Softballfans
Plain and simple - can you pitch both right and left handed to the same batter? Or do you have to wait to switch pitchings hands until a new batter comes to the plate?

Bro Mo

Addicted to Softballfans
and you're serious.

I am 100% serious with this one. I would have wrote out an entire novel explaining it but knew that wouldn't go over well, so long story short is I can sort of pitch with both hands. Good right-handed, but working on left-handed as I always bowled left-handed. So I was 100% serious if I ever get it down consistantly if you can switch to the same batter.

CoalCityCrusher

The Veteran
1) I have cat like reflexes and don't need no stinkin glove

2) When you are as ambidextrious as I am it is not difficult to make one glove fit on both hands. :D

what type of cat do you have reflexes like? explain in 100 words or less as to why you would want to pitch with both hands. Can you throw a nasty slider lefty and not righty? cus i am sure it has to be more than just that 10mph heater that you are throwing.

Bro Mo

Addicted to Softballfans
what type of cat do you have reflexes like? explain in 100 words or less as to why you would want to pitch with both hands. Can you throw a nasty slider lefty and not righty? cus i am sure it has to be more than just that 10mph heater that you are throwing.

Look bro, I was being serious, but since this is going no where you should see the pitch I can fart out my ****! hahahaha

CoalCityCrusher

The Veteran
sorry bro, i will take this as serious as a heartattack. Hopefully you find the answer, a good start would be in th eask the ump section

MattXT

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe official baseball rules state that you cannot switch hands once you've established which side you're going with to said batter. This all stemmed from the situation in either HS or minors where the switch hitter was going up against that kid who throws from both sides. They spent 10 minutes swapping sides. Long story short, I have no idea if ASA/USSSA/etc defines this in their rules. Perhaps try the Ask the Ump subforum.

AJ22

Super Moderator
I believe official baseball rules state that you cannot switch hands once you've established which side you're going with to said batter. This all stemmed from the situation in either HS or minors where the switch hitter was going up against that kid who throws from both sides. They spent 10 minutes swapping sides. Long story short, I have no idea if ASA/USSSA/etc defines this in their rules. Perhaps try the Ask the Ump subforum.

I believe this is wrong ... and we are talking about softball, not baseball.

I'm not sure of the rule, but I would think as long as you show what you are doing, in other words you can switch pitchers every pitch if you want so why can't you switch hands as long as you basically announce what hand you are pitching from.

I'm going to research this because I'm not sure I am right or wrong ... but I don't see why you couldn't.

CoalCityCrusher

The Veteran

does he pitch back to back games?

MattXT

Addicted to Softballfans

I'm not sure of the rule, but I would think as long as you show what you are doing, in other words you can switch pitchers every pitch if you want so why can't you switch hands as long as you basically announce what hand you are pitching from.

I'm going to research this because I'm not sure I am right or wrong ... but I don't see why you couldn't.

Searched it myself, as I was going off of cloudy memory. From Wiki, with a solid reference on the quote
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080702&content_id=3051858&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb:
"...This prompted the Professional Baseball Umpire Corporation to issue rules about switch-pitching: switch-pitchers must choose which way they will begin pitching before they start. Then, batters will select with which hand they will bat. Each is allowed one switch during the plate appearance, after the first pitch is thrown"

Still doesnt answer the softball side of the question, but a fun fact.

Last edited:

synergy40

Addicted to Softballfans

My pitcher got called for an illegal pitch for switching hands fir the sane batter.

KannonsDad

**** you
Plain and simple - can you pitch both right and left handed to the same batter? Or do you have to wait to switch pitchings hands until a new batter comes to the plate?

I don't know, but whatever you do, pitch from the right distance or I'll blow up your kneecaps with an unsanctioned bat. Fail thread #2 so far, keep going, you may set a record.

House00

Slingin' lead!
ambidextrousbaseballglove.jpg