pitching screens

oppo

Coach
forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1198870

You didn't even check the second page?

rkjunior

Laser show, RELAX.
its something used to protect you from gettnig seriously injured or killed. spend the money on a jugs quick snap screen.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Most of the do-it-yourself screens are more difficult to both assemble/dissemble and to transport. If you have a truck or means to transport it (and you're good at building **** like this) it's not a bad idea. If you're doing it for cost reasons, then it's a bad idea. Spend the extra money to get something good. The only two I'd look at are the Jugs Quick Snap and the Pitchsafe (I use the Pitchsafe).

oppo

Coach
I do have a truck and hauling a screen is a non-issue. These are not that complicated and it is not difficult to build one that is plenty safe, even safer than one you would buy and do it for much less. I built mine for a lot less than I could buy one and I used 4 layers of netting. It is also very light and easy to carry. If I needed to be able to take it apart, that would actually be very easy and cheap to do but I don't.

greasyswing

Addicted to Softballfans
I do have a truck and hauling a screen is a non-issue. These are not that complicated and it is not difficult to build one that is plenty safe, even safer than one you would buy and do it for much less. I built mine for a lot less than I could buy one and I used 4 layers of netting. It is also very light and easy to carry. If I needed to be able to take it apart, that would actually be very easy and cheap to do but I don't.

thanks for all the imput . i was thinking of using pvc pipe with sand inside for extra weight for the base. what type of netting did you use?

oppo

Coach
I bought a net from the net shed on ebay. It was 7x20 so I wrapped it around the frame several times. It would work but I personally wouldn't use pvc. Mine is made of 1/2" metal conduit and is very light. It is really light but I made the legs on the backside longer and works great, even without extra weight. So far, it has also held up just fine to repeated hits. It only cost $25 to build the frame out of metal instead of plastic.

BruceinGa

always online
what type of netting did you use?

I bought a replacement net from Pitch Safe.

Photo_103108_005.jpg

whogotz

dilligaf?
ive done bp with guys that have spent $$$ on a metal screen - now bent and doesnt stay put
and ive done bp with guys that have made one out of pvc and scrap netting from a tennis court.

bottom line is you should never rely on the screen to save your ass, there shouldnt be more than a couple "mi****s" back at the pitcher anyway during bp.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
ive done bp with guys that have spent $$$ on a metal screen - now bent and doesnt stay put
and ive done bp with guys that have made one out of pvc and scrap netting from a tennis court.

bottom line is you should never rely on the screen to save your ass, there shouldnt be more than a couple "mi****s" back at the pitcher anyway during bp.

I don't know about that...I work the middle pretty hard in BP. But only when there's a net.

greasyswing

Addicted to Softballfans
I bought a net from the net shed on ebay. It was 7x20 so I wrapped it around the frame several times. It would work but I personally wouldn't use pvc. Mine is made of 1/2" metal conduit and is very light. It is really light but I made the legs on the backside longer and works great, even without extra weight. So far, it has also held up just fine to repeated hits. It only cost $25 to build the frame out of metal instead of plastic.

thanks for the info.. i'll find some metal tubing at work this weekend and weld up the frame components.

is your netting streched tight or semi loose?

oppo

Coach
thanks for the info.. i'll find some metal tubing at work this weekend and weld up the frame components.

is your netting streched tight or semi loose?

It is fairly loose. Partly by design an partly because it ended up a little bit looser than I intended. I wouldn't stretch it too tight. Keeping it just a little bit loose will help it hold up to hard shots.

greasyswing

Addicted to Softballfans
thanks again for the info. i have a juggs pitching machine that i modified but it still is not the same as live pitching.

oppo

Coach
Oh, just a heads up but make sure whoever is pitching as actually behind the screen. Sometimes people feel overly secure and leave a shin sticking out or step out to pitch and don't get back. One of my buddies who doesn't pitch was pitching to me yesterday and i had to remind him the screen only works if you get behind it. A few pitches later, a shin high liner whizzed by about an inch from the pole. I didn't have to remind him anymore after that, lol.

Steve99

Addicted to Softballfans

We have a juggs net and have never dented it. What kind of balls are you using ha ha.

BP with a net is the only way to take bp. As for me, I need it because I am a middle/right type of hitter and hate when all I can do is hit to left and right the whole bp session. If there is a net, middle is open all bp session.

greasyswing

Addicted to Softballfans
i'd rather have the screen than a helmut and we bp about 2-3 times a week atleast and i'm sick of almost getting hit.