Pitching tips: Pitchers helping Pitchers

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
Always loooking for new tips.

My tip is the art of the quickpitch. Don't be the pitcher that is always trying to quickpitch. SAVE IT.. Watch your prey for a few innings. Figure who is prone to it...and use it late in the game when you need it. This works all the time for me. Of course you have to throw a strike on the spot.

stickin2j

Good clean family fun

My tip is the art of the quickpitch. Don't be the pitcher that is always trying to quickpitch. SAVE IT.. Watch your prey for a few innings. Figure who is prone to it...and use it late in the game when you need it. This works all the time for me. Of course you have to throw a strike on the spot.

You're doing it wrong.

pnpxtreme

Lights Out Sports
Give them the ol' "is he in the box", batter looks down, quick pitch, strike 3 *****. Same thing as above, wait until you need it and it will probably only work once.

Strawberry

Shin Killer
Give them the ol' "is he in the box", batter looks down, quick pitch, strike 3 *****. Same thing as above, wait until you need it and it will probably only work once.

Hey blue, check this ball!
That works especially on younger baseball kids who think they are gods gift to the game. Welcome to the sport of old men

LetTheBigDogEat

The Veteran
change your arc and distance (don't always pitch from the same spot). i like to throw a few flat-ish pitches from the front then back up to the back bump and touch the ceiling. it can change the batters timing enough to get you a weak grounder or routine flyball instead of piss rocket somewhere.

another thing is figure out your batter. if you know they aren't looking to walk, to give them anything fat, just nip the edges and let em swing at a bad pitch. if they're trying to hit one to the next town. i like to keep them low and in. the seem to jump all over these and pull foul.

msc2360

reformed bat huer
I try to always work the corners... if I know someone likes to pull I will work that outside corner and get ready for something back at me or vice versa .... like others said i change my arch up and try to change up my depth of the pitch... i try to never actually give them a "strike" to swing at unless I have to...

LetTheBigDogEat

The Veteran
I try to always work the corners... if I know someone likes to pull I will work that outside corner and get ready for something back at me or vice versa .... like others said i change my arch up and try to change up my depth of the pitch... i try to never actually give them a "strike" to swing at unless I have to...

this times a million.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't see how quick pitching works on anyone though. I'm the batter, I control the box. I never step in for the first time without calling time and once I'm in, I never step out unless it's a foul ball. If that's the case, I call time again to make sure I'm ready. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this happens.

Coonass

Addicted to Softballfans
Throw strikes, its freaking SLOWpitch softball they going to hit it no matter where you throw it. After you release, take a step to the side and get ready to defend yourself.

niteshadow

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't see how quick pitching works on anyone though. I'm the batter, I control the box. I never step in for the first time without calling time and once I'm in, I never step out unless it's a foul ball. If that's the case, I call time again to make sure I'm ready. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this happens.

Whether they're ready or not... a quick pitch makes people think about the pitch rather than the ball, and makes them swing at a bad pitch, or swing weakly at a good one.

Frost

I'm on a boat *****
If you say "Hey Blue" the ump can call time and void the pitch. Just say "Check this ball" "What's the count". You're talking to your catcher not the umpire.

Hey blue, check this ball!
That works especially on younger baseball kids who think they are gods gift to the game. Welcome to the sport of old men

LetTheBigDogEat

The Veteran

you cant do it on everyone. but a lot of guys like to sit there and stare at their feet or the ground while in the box while getting ready, i might throw them one. but the most common time, and probably best time, is after a borderline pitch is a called a strike and the batter is in the box arguing with an ump. A - he's looked away, B - if he does turn around in time, he's likely to swing regardless where the pitch us bc it surprised him. this causes mi****s and little power. C - if he doesn't swing the umpire is likely to call it a strike if it's anywhere close bc the guy was just arguing with him.

i've done this early in a game and its in that guys head the rest of the game. he's so mad at you he wants to kill the ball, and then you pretty much can own him the rest of the game making him chase trying to go middle, or swing at bad pitches trying to hit bombs

Moose40

I make turtles look fast

like a couple already said, the minute a batter steps in the box, I wait for the umps arm to go down, and the pitch is coming in because you'll get guys that don't ask for time and are looking at their feet or hands, and then they see the ball coming and they crap swing at the ball (usually this only happens in league),usually a foul ball occurs, and then if they look at the ump to say something instead of calling time, I'm lobbing the ball right back in, easy out.
Or some guys just have to get those three or four practice swings in, the second the bat is fully extended on the practice swing, I'm lobbing the ball because the batter has to pull back fast and try to recoil, if he connects there typically in not a lot of power on that swing.

I find those tactics more useful then the dancing that some pitchers in utrip do to distract a batter.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess I never really expected people to get in the box and then look all over God's creation instead of at the pitcher.

kfferg

Banned User
Throw strikes, defend your position, keep your defense engaged and back up throws. Another thing a great pitcher does is hit.

oakleydude44

Geaux Time!
I like to walk the bases loaded, then make the next batter hit into a double play. It hasn't worked yet, but it will one day. :)

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League

And a good ump will call it every time. Course how many good umps are out there.

Moose40

I make turtles look fast
I guess I never really expected people to get in the box and then look all over God's creation instead of at the pitcher.

It's amazing how many people do, especially in the D and lower leagues. You might be thinking tourney ball, which I would hope at that level the batter is calling time while stepping in, or taking practice swings outside the box.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
change your arc and distance (don't always pitch from the same spot). i like to throw a few flat-ish pitches from the front then back up to the back bump and touch the ceiling. it can change the batters timing enough to get you a weak grounder or routine flyball instead of piss rocket somewhere.

another thing is figure out your batter. if you know they aren't looking to walk, to give them anything fat, just nip the edges and let em swing at a bad pitch. if they're trying to hit one to the next town. i like to keep them low and in. the seem to jump all over these and pull foul.

I agree and with a mat it works real well. I will throw flat off the front edge of the mat until the ump calls it.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
my league has a 4 hr limit....first inning i pitch meatballs. After they get their four I play the corners. people get runners on and try to hit it deep............which inturn causes them to pop-up.

better than a good knuckleball;)

LikeMiken

Starting Player
I throw the first pitch high and tight. If they hit it it's usually a high fly out or foul. Next pitch is the knuckle ball wherever it may roam. Really once you get the first strike, just throw **** in there and they'll swing.

Moose40

I make turtles look fast
speaking of knuckleballs, is a knuckleball simply a ball coming in with no rotation? is there anything else that defines a knuckleball besides that?

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
I throw the first pitch high and tight. If they hit it it's usually a high fly out or foul. Next pitch is the knuckle ball wherever it may roam. Really once you get the first strike, just throw **** in there and they'll swing.

trufff here

DOM713

Addicted to Softballfans
like a couple already said, the minute a batter steps in the box, I wait for the umps arm to go down, and the pitch is coming in because you'll get guys that don't ask for time and are looking at their feet or hands, and then they see the ball coming and they crap swing at the ball (usually this only happens in league),usually a foul ball occurs, and then if they look at the ump to say something instead of calling time, I'm lobbing the ball right back in, easy out.
Or some guys just have to get those three or four practice swings in, the second the bat is fully extended on the practice swing, I'm lobbing the ball because the batter has to pull back fast and try to recoil, if he connects there typically in not a lot of power on that swing.

I find those tactics more useful then the dancing that some pitchers in utrip do to distract a batter.
And if they blow you up just flip em' the bird so they know what's up:eek::D

gregbishere

Shutup just Shutup
Ichiro what you should try is pitching it at max height, as soon as you release it sprint to the batter and try catching the ball right off the bat, works great for me.