Pitching To Big Hitters

Softball.com:

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
Just depends on the hitter. Most of the bigger guys like it high, but you can usually figure out where they want it by their position in the box. If they are further up, they like it higher, further back, they want it lower. Just give them the opposite. Most power guys don't like walking much either, so they will chase a bit.

Agree. Also depends on if you are playing with a fence or no fence. Most big hitters can be pitched to as they only want to do one thing.

Big hitters that aren't too proud to take a single are the tough ones to pitch too because they don't get themselves out. They will take what you give them and be happy.

cjangeloni1986

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah as a pitcher I would pitch him high and inside and make the big batter foul out. I prefer an home run over an accidental lined shot right up the middle because the guy is reaching. Just my opinion. And by inside I mean really inside.

Jhall24

Addicted to Softballfans
True, although I have got a few to hit the DBO. There really is no correct answer, a good/big hitter is gonna hit no matter where the ball is pitched. I concentrate more on throwing strikes and changing levels, high, low, inside, outside, than if the guy is a big hitter or not.

Hro people!!!! H R O!!!!!!

Jhall24

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah as a pitcher I would pitch him high and inside and make the big batter foul out. I prefer an home run over an accidental lined shot right up the middle because the guy is reaching. Just my opinion. And by inside I mean really inside.

Pitchers don't make good hitters do anything. And by your theory you just walked someone because good hitters don't swing at balls, and walks kill teams.

Jhall24

Addicted to Softballfans
Please stop saying low please. You can't throw low pitches in anything but utrip and good hitters know where to stand in the box in utrip to avoid that anyway. Low pitches are balls and good hitters don't swing at balls n

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
Brag post?

Other team said "big hitter coming up" last night as I walked to the plate. Too bad I never lived up to it!

george

Addicted to Softballfans
as a catcher i see from a diffrent perspective then the fielders do. most of the big hitters will pretty much hit the ball no matter where ya throw it.
high and outside ,low and inside it does not matter they step to or from the ball and wack the h ell out tof it.now some times its a long out some times its just out.

vance237

OG Hater
holy crap it's softball. It's not like your firing in a 98mph fastball, or a bender that drops off the plate. Talk about over analyzing sheesh.

Throw me short, I'll walk up on it, throw me deep, I'll let it go, outside I'll step into it, inside, I'll step out of it. It really doesn't matter where you throw the ball, if it's a strike and close, I'm going to do what I want with it. About the ONLY thing you can possibly do is make it harder for someone to pull/push a ball on you aka a guy isn't going to effectively push a ball in on his hands, but then you just turn on it and drive it. Good hitters hit. They hit bombs when they need to, gappers when they need to, and clutch hits when they need to. Just the way it is. Guys that close their eyes and swing for the fence every time cause it's "cool" are the ones that will be vulerable to pitching changes. "Big" hitters will just make you look dumb.

And again, to drive it home, it's softball. A 12" ball moving at what 10mph in a slow lazy arch, if you can't hit it, there's something wrong.

landsharklager

GDC MULTI-PLATINUM MEMBER
When I pitch to a home run hitter, I like to throw a curve ball that will break towards the batter trying to get it to hit off their taper, some batters can adjust, but a pure power hitter probably wont recognize the curve until he is making contact.

Another thing if your team can handle it, make him work for a hit and don't give him a good pitch. I view as a pitcher a walk is a base hit, which is better than a double, triple, or possible walk-off.

redwards92

Addicted to Softballfans
most of the time it is better to pitch them low but some big hitters like the lower pitches so then you gotta pitch around them

I like low and high though :D

BigNick21

Pickin & a Grinnin
Look at where they stand in box is one way....I always try to remember every batter....esp the ex baseball players who will NEVER get a low pitch....if I get burned on a pitch with a batter then he will not get that pitch again if I can help it....some players it doesnt matter....they are goin to hit it no matter what, may not be a HR but they will get their's

alan21615

Addicted to Softballfans
just mix it up. I usually try to throw the first one short (so they're reaching) if they don't swing at that, I'll throw either a curve on the outside corner or a Knuckler high and tight, and if they don't swing at that, I throw whatever I want because they're not that good of a hitter, lol

collegemade

Addicted to Softballfans
holy crap it's softball. It's not like your firing in a 98mph fastball, or a bender that drops off the plate. Talk about over analyzing sheesh.

Throw me short, I'll walk up on it, throw me deep, I'll let it go, outside I'll step into it, inside, I'll step out of it. It really doesn't matter where you throw the ball, if it's a strike and close, I'm going to do what I want with it. About the ONLY thing you can possibly do is make it harder for someone to pull/push a ball on you aka a guy isn't going to effectively push a ball in on his hands, but then you just turn on it and drive it. Good hitters hit. They hit bombs when they need to, gappers when they need to, and clutch hits when they need to. Just the way it is. Guys that close their eyes and swing for the fence every time cause it's "cool" are the ones that will be vulerable to pitching changes. "Big" hitters will just make you look dumb.

And again, to drive it home, it's softball. A 12" ball moving at what 10mph in a slow lazy arch, if you can't hit it, there's something wrong.

^^^^^^ This should answer your question......Just serve it up.

dan

Manager
in our league minimum pitch has to be 6ft high at one point.

I guess that in a TRUE unlimited arc league, there would be no upper or lower limit.

So those underhand fastball pitchers could zip 'em in at 100 mph all day, and be legal.

packerbacker796

Bi-Polar as they Come
unlimited arc softball how do you pitch it low????

Most have to be at least 6 ft . Just have it just barely reach 6ft and die right off the corner of the plate. Oh yeah make sure you got your cup in good and health insurance is paid up. ha ha

22kj22

UrMoufSNIFsofFart
^^^^^what he said, a good power hitter will take an outside pitch, either low or high over the fence in right. High and inside is the only real pitch to get good hitters to make a mistake.

RT Addict

\m/NEED MORE COWBELL\m/
Throw some sky-high, deep balls, to get them back deep in the box, then follow it up with a short, low pitch .... usually will get them to swing

Losdoyers13

Chest high and somewhat flat is getting hit hard somewhere... Love to extend arms but some big guys are the opposite and love low and inside... It's a gamble!